Are you ready for a fabulous recipe for any brunch or breakfast because this one is a keeper, delicious and low in fat! I am so excited to share this recipe today for Glazed Cranberry Orange Scones!
As a child, on a trip to Ireland, everyday ( even then I was Everyday Eileen haha) I had scones with my breakfast and let me tell you, they were amazing! Since then, I have been making various types of scones for my family and friends! I love a good cup of tea and a scone and I am one happy girl! I especially love to share with you that I prepare these scones with lower fat ingredients like low-fat buttermilk and light butter which allows having a sweet treat without loading up on calories! I know, I know, that is always a wonderful thing!
The beauty of baking scones is that they are so easy to prepare and so delicious. Scones are one of the first things my kids learned to bake, okay my youngest learned how to bake, the rest like to eat what I bake, but I am okay with that because they are my honest critics and I love them for making my recipes better! So you, yes you who thinks they cannot bake, this one is for you! Your family and friends will love these with brunch or a quick to-go weekday breakfast or snack!
I suggest using parchment paper on your cookie sheet, easy clean-up! These scones are a delicious blend of cranberries and orange flavors. A perfect combination, my favorite pairing, just like my Cranberry Orange Smoothie! I top these scones with a little extra orange flavor with an orange glaze. These are lower in fat so a little glaze is a lovely treat!
I really hope you make and enjoy this recipe, and if so, please share the love on Facebook, Pinterest, or your favorite way of relating to your friends and family, and please continue connecting with me on Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Bloglovin, Google Plus !
Thank you for always sharing my passion and love for food and family!
Cranberry Scones with Orange Glaze
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- zest of 1 orange , finely minced
- 1/2 stick cold light butter,cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp orange juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried cranberry
- 1 Tbsp. low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp. turbinado sugar
- 1 cup confectioner sugar
- 3 tsp. orange juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a bowl, sift dry ingredients - flour, sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Add in the orange zest.
- To the large bowl, add the light butter to the dry ingredients and blend with your hands until the flour mixture looks like a course meal. Add in the dried cranberries.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk low-fat buttermilk, lightly beaten egg, orange juice, and vanilla extract.
- Fold the wet mixture into the dry mix and combine, do not over mix the dough. Form into a ball.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Press into an 8 inch disk. Disk should be about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 8 pieces. Arrange on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Using a pastry brush, brush scones with the 1 Tablespoon of buttermilk and sprinkle with the turbinado sugar. Bake for about 15 minutes and check scones for a golden brown color.
- While scones are baking, in a saucepan, over medium heat, add the orange juice and the confectioners sugar. whisk together to blend ingredients and set aside.
- Once scones are baked, set aside to cool for about 10 minutes. Glaze tops of the cranberry orange scones with the orange glaze. Let cool. Serve with your favorite jam or butter. Keep extras in a ziploc bag and reheat as needed
- I am not a registered dietician, I do my best to provide the most accurate nutritional values. Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation. Actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and portion sizes