Instant Pot Shredded Chicken, the most tender and juicy meat that is ready in no time and can be used in so many recipes. Great for meal prepping as the poultry freezes very well. This will be your go-to recipe for getting succulent chicken every time. Use in quesadillas, chicken bacon stromboli, enchiladas, salads, and casseroles.
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
Who doesn’t love a great meal using chicken? This recipe has become a staple for preparing my weekly meal plans. I highly suggest buying your poultry on a good sale and making a big batch of shredded chicken to freeze in quart size bags to use for quick and easy meals like quesadillas and salads.
The full ingredient list is in the recipe. Here are the highlights.
- Chicken: Use skinless, boneless chicken breasts. Thighs can be used
- Seasoning: Salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder are fabulous to add flavor to the poultry.
- Bay Leaf: The leaf adds flavor to the water which will enhance the flavor in the chicken.
- Carrots: Gives a sweetness to the broth and poultry.
- Celery and Onions: Adds another level of flavor.
- Thyme: The herbs enhance the flavors of the poultry.
Expert Tips and FAQs
- For easy and delicious chicken, use boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs.
- Yes, you can use frozen chicken. They should not be frozen together but individually frozen chicken breasts. Add 7-minutes to the cooking time.
- The chicken can be layered in the Instant Pot. They will cook evenly.
- The cooked chicken temperature will be 165°F.
- Store chicken in freezer-safe bags.
How do you freeze shredded chicken?
Lay the cooked chicken on baking trays and place in the freezer for at least 30-
I love using my freezer bags( when I am meal prepping! The chicken stays fresh and no freezer burn! They can keep in the freezer longer too. Using sturdy freezer bags are also great to store chicken.
Can I overcook the poultry?
Overcooked chicken is never good. The beauty of the Instant Pot and this recipe is perfectly cooked chicken.
What do I do if my chicken is not at 165F after being cooked?
If this should happen, place the cover back on the Instant Pot and let the chicken sit in the hot water another 5 minutes. There should not be an issue with the chicken temperature after the additional 5 minutes.
Note, I have never had my chicken not be done. I had someone else make the recipe for testing and there chicken was 160. They also were using partially frozen chicken breasts.
Recipes to make with the shredded chicken
Endless possibilities, here are a few ideas:
- enchilada chicken sliders
- Instant Pot Chicken Chow Mein – a fantastic take-out fake out.
- chicken salad
- BBQ pizza
- Asian Chicken Sliders from Unicorns in the Kitchen
- Apple Slider Pulled Chicken from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com
Shop this Recipe:
- 6-Quart Instant Pot: The 6-quart is perfect for a family of 4.
- Shredding Claws for Meat: I own these meat shredders, they work great. Easy on the hands.
Check out my store. I am always updating great finds for not just cooking, I hope you check it out here, Everyday Eileen update it regularly!
Step by Step Recipe Instructions
- Remove excess fat from the chicken breasts. Season with thyme, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Place the rack in the bottom of Instant Pot. Put the chicken pieces on the rack.
- Add water, onion, bay leaf, carrot, and celery.
- Place lid on Instant pot, Set to high pressure 5 minutes.
- Natural release for 10 minutes. Turn the valve to open and let the remaining steam release.
- Remove chicken. Let sit for about 10 minutes. Shred chicken.
When you make this recipe, take a pic and tag me on Instagram @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen.
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below.
Keep up to date with recipes and posts by following me on:
Love this recipe, it would be awesome if you give it a 5-star rating and share comments below.
The Best Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- 4 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts about 5 ounces each
- 1 large onion, peeled no need to chop
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- Trim chicken breasts of any excess fat. Season chicken with the thyme, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Place the insert into the Instant Pot. Add chicken stock or water. Place seasoned chicken breasts into Instant Pot. Add in the onion, bay leaf, carrot, celery, and whole garlic. (Note 2)
- Place lid on Instant Pot, seal. Ensure the sure vent is closed. Set pressure to high and cook, 5 minutes. Once the cycle is complete, natural release for 10-minutes. Then, turn the valve to auto-release to release the remaining steam.
- Remove lid, chicken should be at 165 degrees. Shred chicken. Strain broth and use as chicken broth.
- Chicken can be used as slices or shredded. Store chicken in storage or freezer bags. Place in freezer or use in other recipes.