Instant Pot Shredded Chicken, one of the easiest recipes that will give you so many options for recipes! A perfect way to get ahead on meal prep! Make a big batch of chicken breasts in the Instant Pot! You are going to love how flavorful the chicken tastes!
A little bit of seasonings makes these the so flavorful and the Best Instant Pot Shredded Chicken!
Who doesn’t love a great meal using chicken? This recipe for shredded chicken has become a staple in my weekly recipe rotation! As I said in my Make Ahead Breakfast Burritos, I am all about meal planning!
There are so many recipes you can create with cooked chicken. Having the cooked chicken on hand is knowing you can have a meal ready in no time!
Enchiladas, tacos, chicken and rice casseroles, chicken salad, quesadillas…. I can keep going on and on! These are all examples of recipes you can make with shredded chicken.
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken is a no-brainer recipe or process! It is just a few ingredients popped in the Instant Pot and you have the basis for amazing meals!
How do you freeze shredded chicken?
I love using my freezer bags( when I am meal prepping! The chicken stays fresh and no freezer burn! They can keep in the freezer longer too. Using sturdy freezer bags are also great to store chicken.
What type of chicken do you use for making shredded chicken?
For this recipe, I use chicken breasts, thighs work well too! These are boneless. Bone-in chicken can be used. Removing the skin before making in the instant pot is suggested.
After being cooked, the temperature of my chicken is not 165 degrees, what do I do?
If this should happen, place the cover back on the instant Pot and let the chicken sit in the hot water another 5 minutes. There should not be an issue with the chicken temperature after the additional 5 minutes. Note, I have never had my chicken not be done. I had someone else make the recipe for testing and there chicken was 160. They also were using partially frozen chicken breasts.
Can this recipe work with frozen chicken breasts?
Yes, you can use frozen chicken. They should not be frozen together but individual frozen chicken breasts. Add 7 minutes cooking time to the cook time.
What can I make with shredded chicken:
Endless possibilities, here are a few ideas:
- chicken salad
- chicken enchiladas
- pulled chicken BBQ sandwiches
- chicken quesadillas
- Asian Chicken Sliders from Unicorns in the Kitchen
- Apple Slider Pulled Chicken from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more!) We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com
Shop this Recipe:
- 6-Quart Instant Pot: The 6-quart is perfect for a family of 4.
- Shredding Claws for Meat: I own these meat shredders, they work great. Easy on the hands.
I also have a store where I am always updating great finds for not just cooking, I hope you check it out here, Everyday Eileen I will continue to update it regularly!
Pin Instant Pot Shredded Chicken to make anytime:
How to make Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Remove excess fat from the chicken breasts.
- Season with thyme, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Place the rack in the bottom of Instant Pot.
- Put the chicken breasts on the rack.
- Cover with water. Add onion, bay leaf, carrot, and celery.
- Place lid on instant pot, Set to high pressure 5 minutes.
- Let natural release for about 10 minutes. Turn valve to let remaining steam release.
- Remove chicken. Let sit for about 10 minutes. Shred chicken.
- Use in various recipes Freeze some for later.
When you make this recipe, take a pic and tag me on Instagram @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen.
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below!
Keep up to date with recipes and posts by following me on:
Love this recipe, it would be awesome if you give it a 5-star rating and share comments below!
The Best Instant Pot Shredded ChickenInstant Pot Shredded Chicken is a fabulous way to make chicken breasts to use in many different recipes. Freeze some to have ready for delicious meal prep. They make perfect quesadillas, enchiladas, tacos, pulled chicken sandwiches, salads, and casseroles.Print Pin RateServings: 6 servingsCalories: 108kcal
- 4 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts about 5 ounces each
- 1 large onion, peeled no need to chop
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- Trim chicken breasts of any excess fat. Season chicken with the thyme, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Place insert into the Instant Pot. Add chicken stock or water. Place seasoned chicken breasts into Instant Pot. Add in the onion, bay leaf, carrot, celery, and whole garlic. (Note 2)
- Place lid on Instant Pot, seal. Ensure the sure vent is closed. Set pressure to high and cook, 5 minutes. Once the cycle is complete, natural release for 10-minutes. Then, turn the valve to auto-release to release the remaining steam.
- Remove lid, chicken should be at 165 degrees. Shred chicken. Strain broth and use as chicken broth.
- Chicken can be used as slices or shredded. Store chicken in storage or freezer bags. Place in freezer or use in other recipes.
NotesNote 1: I prefer to use fat-free sodium-free to cut out extra calories. The chicken is already well seasoned. Using chicken stock adds a bit more flavor and the broth can be used in other recipes. Note 2: Chicken should be covered with the liquid. If not, add a little bit more water so the chicken is covered. Note 3: You can use frozen chicken. They should not be frozen together but individually frozen chicken breasts. Add 7-minutes to the cook time. Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation and actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and proportion sizes.
NutritionServing: 1cup | Calories: 108kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 297mg | Potassium: 383mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 2073IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 1mg