This is my go to Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole that is not only super easy to prepare, but is healthy, gluten-free, and low-calorie! You will enjoy this casserole without going overboard on calories! Great to serve on Thanksgiving and a great any day side dish!
I love sweet potatoes! We eat them a lot, especially during the fall and winter months! This casserole has a perfect blend of sweet and savory and the family requests it often. It’s so easy to prepare that it is a not just for Thanksgiving casserole for us! It is super important to me to make sure most of the meals we eat have healthy ingredients. This healthy sweet potato casserole is yummy, healthy, and a crowd favorite!
The filling is made with boiled sweet potatoes that mashed with some flax milk, feel free to use unsweetened coconut milk or milk of choice, an egg, and a wee bit of pure vanilla extract. I sweeten the sweet potato casserole with agave and blackstrap molasses. If you haven’t used blackstrap molasses, I highly recommend using it as a sweetener. It contains a nice amount of nutrients and it’s a natural sweetener.
To make the nut topping, I combine chopped pecans, gluten-free brown rice flour, Bob’s Red Mill happens to be a favorite of mine, and a little melted butter. This dish can be completely Vegan if you swapped out vegan butter for the light butter. I also add in coconut sugar. The topping is perfect and adds a little sweet and nutty flavor. It is the perfect topping to this casserole!
I hope you like this recipe! Please share the love on Facebook, Pinterest, or your favorite way of relating to your friends and family. Please continue connecting with me on Instagram, Twitter, Bloglovin, Google Plus !
Follow me on Pinterest so you can pin all my favorite recipes!
When making one of my recipes, tag it with #everydayeileen so I can also share it! That just makes my day!
Thank you for always sharing my passion and love for food and family!
Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- enough water to cover sweet potatoes
- Sweet Potato Casserole Filling:
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes above
- 1/4 cup flax milk or milk of your choice
- 2 Tablespoons Agave
- 2 Tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 2 teaspoons melted light butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- non-stick cooking spray
- Nut Topping:
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons melted light butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the mashed sweet potatoes:
- In a medium-sized pot, over medium/high heat, add the cubed sweet potatoes.
- Add the kosher salt and water to cover the sweet potatoes.
- Bring the pot to a boil, reduce heat to medium and let simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Sweet potatoes should be fork tender.
- Drain sweet potatoes well.
- Mash the sweet potatoes with a potato masher until well blended.
- To Prepare the Sweet Potato Filling:
- In a large bowl, combine well the mashed sweet potatoes, flax milk, agave, blackstrap molasses, and melted butter, egg, and pure vanilla extract.
- Spray a 3-quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour the sweet potato filling into the casserole dish. Set aside
- To make the nut topping:
- In a small bowl, combine the chopped pecans, brown rice flour, coconut sugar, and melted butter.
- Sprinkle the nut topping on top of the sweet potato casserole.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes.
- Any nutritional value used is an estimate. These figures can change based on ingredients and portion size