Lemon Chicken Piccata is a family favorite recipe! My family prefers low carb meals and this chicken piccata is just, low-carb and delicious! I love that this is an easy healthy meal that can be made ahead, freezer-friendly, and low-fat too!
I am so excited to share how I make my low carb lemon chicken piccata.
The white wine, lemon, garlic sauce, and caper sauce is fantastic and the calories are kept down with low-sodium chicken stock too! There is an easy secret ingredient that keeps this meal low-carb, low-calorie and gluten-free! #italianfood
Chicken Picatta, a low-carb chicken recipe made with seasoned almond flour. The low-carb chicken recipe is ready in less than 30 minutes. Great for a family dinner or entertaining guests!
I cannot believe I have not shared this recipe for easy Lemon Chicken Piccata with all of you before today! It is Italian Food Day for me and some of my favorite blogger friends! When I started to think of which recipe to share, it was a no-brainer!
Chicken Piccata is super popular in Italian restaurants but it can be weighed down with calories because most recipes call for frying and lots of breadcrumbs.
The carbs in the white flour, ugh, are they necessary?
I needed to experiment and find a low carb chicken dinner. I played around with ingredients and I have created a recipe to make at home and its low-carb, low-calorie, crowd-pleasing easy lemon chicken recipe that's delicious, trust me!
Lemony and delicious!
What type of chicken should I use to make low-carb Lemon Chicken Piccata?
Use boneless chicken cutlets, much cheaper than the already packaged thin cutlets. I personally buy in bulk. Trim any fat from the cutlets and freeze them for use at a later date.
How to thin the chicken cutlets at home?
Place wax paper over the chicken cutlets and pound the chicken down to about ¼ inch thick. Check out this tutorial, to cutting chicken cutlets
What are capers?
Capers are the unripened bud from a perennial plant that is native to the Mediterranean region. The bud is then pickled in wine, vinegar or brine.
What do you serve with Low Carb Lemon Chicken Piccata?
I love serving this chicken with Roasted Asparagus with Lemon and Garlic to keep it gluten-free, low carb and keto-friendly! Can you tell how much I love lemon and garlic! I love Roasted Spaghetti Squash with the Lemon Chicken Piccata which makes it a perfect low-carb easy meal!
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Tools to Make Lemon Chicken Piccata:
- Bob's Red Mill Almond Flour: My all-time favorite flour that is low-carb and high quality
- Large Skillet: a favorite skillet, perfect size for this dish!
- Non-Stick, Silicone Tongs: a favorite set of tongs as they don't scratch any pans surface.
Check out my store, Everyday Eileen I share all my favorite finds!
How to Make Chicken Piccata ( low-carb/keto)
- In a large mixing bowl, add the almond flour, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Coat the chicken with the almond mixture. If you have a few minutes. Place the chicken in the fridge to ensure the almond coating will stick to the chicken.
3. Add olive oil and unsalted butter to a skillet.
4. Be sure pan is heated before adding the chicken, otherwise, they may stick to the pan.
5. The cutlets cook about 3-4 minutes per side. Set cutlets aside.
How to make easy Lemon Chicken Piccata Sauce:
- Place the remaining olive oil and butter into the pan. Saute shallots and garlic for a few minutes. Add in white wine and lemon juice. Mix up the brown bits at the bottom, adds amazing flavor. Let sauce reduce by half.
2. Add in capers and cooked chicken to warm chicken, serve and enjoy!
I love serving this chicken with Roasted Asparagus with Lemon and Garlic or Roasted Broccoli with Garlic to keep it gluten-free, low carb and keto-friendly! Can you tell how much I love lemon and garlic! Of course, pasta goes wonderfully with this chicken.
Give us a like on FACEBOOK
For great recipes and tips, follow along on Pinterest
Thank you for always sharing my passion and love for food and family!
Are you loving this recipe, giving it a 5-star rating and any comments are super helpful for me and very much appreciate
Low Carb Lemon Chicken Piccata
- 4 boneless chicken cutlets, 4 ounces each
- ¼ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium shallot, peeled and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
- ¾ cup white wine or chicken stock use stock if you do not cook with alcohol
- 1 large lemon, juiced about ¼ cup juice
- ¼ cup capers, drained
- In a large plate, mix almond flour, Parmesan Cheese, salt and black pepper. Rinse the chicken in cold water and dredge in the almond flour mixture. Coat chicken well in the flour mixture. Set aside until all chicken dredged in flour.
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Add 2 teaspoons each of olive oil and unsalted butter, butter should sizzle. Add the chicken pieces to the skillet. Make sure chicken is not overlapping. Let chicken brown about 3-4 minutes. Flip chicken to complete cooking another 3-4 minutes. Once cooked, set chicken aside.
- To the skillet, add the remaining olive oil and butter. Add in the chopped shallots and garlic. Sauté for about 3 minutes. Add in white wine or chicken stock, lemon juice, and capers. Let simmer to reduce by about half, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add chicken back into pan. Serve with cauliflower rice, spaghetti squash, or your favorite side.
- If making ahead, I get the dish ready and just reheat on the stovetop for a few minutes with a pot cover. Can be reheated in the oven at 250 degrees for about 10 minutes.
- If using chicken stock instead of wine, use low-sodium, fat-free broth.
- I am not a registered dietician, I do my best to provide the most accurate nutritional values. Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation. Actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and portion sizes
Save this recipe for low-carb Keto Lemon Chicken Piccata here:
Need some more low-carb chicken recipes, check out these recipes from some of my favorite blogs:
Please check out her fabulous recipe as well as all the other awesome recipes below! I just don't know where to begin! They all look delish! Use #italianfood on social media to see all the great pics and posts too!
Amazing recipes from my peers:
Italian Pasta Meals:
- Baked Ziti with Meat Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pasta e Fagioli by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Carpaccio di Tonno by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Comtesse d'Italia Cocktail by Bear and Bug Eats
- Italian Cream Cake with Nutty Cream Cheese Frosting by Family Around the Table
- Eggplant Parmesan Casserole by Simple and Savory
- Italian Wedding Soup by Cindy's Recipes and Writings