This is a quick and easy recipe to make Simple Syrup for Drinks that is used in many drink recipes.The syrup adds sugar without having sugar sitting in the bottom of your beverage because it has been already heated and dissolved in water!
I make simple syrup a lot throughout the year! I add it to Watermelon Mint Granita, Ultimate Festive Winter Sangria, and Strawberry Vodka Slushies! Simple syrup is added to beverages to provide sweetness! Water and sugar are added together in equal parts, heated to dissolve the sugar and the liquid is added to various beverages. The sugar has melted which means there is no worry about sugar floating to the bottom of the drink causing a sugar imbalance!
How to make simple syrup for cocktails and drinks:
- Use equal parts water and sugar. Heat the mixture over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
- This is a base recipe for homemade simple syrup simple.
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, combine and heat the water and sugar. Stir occasionally until sugar dissolves, around 5 minutes.
How to make herb-infused simple syrup:
- Once the sugar in the simple syrup is dissolved. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the herbs to the pan. Place the lid on the pot and let the herbs infuse into the simple syrup.
- Let the herbs sit in the pot for at least an hour, up to two hours.
- Strain the herbs from the simple syrup. Store the simple syrup in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
- Delicious herbs to add are mint, sage, rosemary, lavender, hibiscus, and rose for a few examples.
- Citrus peel such as orange, lemon, lime work great as an addition too.
- Ginger root and vanilla are also great additions.
SHARE YOUR PICTURES OF ANY OF MY RECIPES ON INSTAGRAM! USE #EVERYDAYEILEEN AND I LOVE TO SEE AND SHARE YOUR PHOTOS ON INSTAGRAM!!
SAVE THIS RECIPE TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARDS! I HOPE YOU FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST! I’M ALWAYS PINNING FROM TALENTED AND AMAZING BLOGGERS!
SUBSCRIBE TO MY NEWSLETTER TO NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
Thank you for the continued support! I am forever grateful!
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white sugar
- Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan over low to medium heat. Stir frequently to melt the sugar in the water.
- Once the sugar is melted, remove the pan from stove.
- If adding any herbs or citrus, add to the mixture now. Let the additional herbs sit in the mixture at least one-half hour - 2 hours. Then strain the herbs from the simple syrup and discard. Use simple syrup as needed. Simple syrup should keep covered in the fridge for 3-4 weeks. If there are herbs added, I use within one week.
- add any herbs and citrus to the mixture after sugar has dissolved and the pot has been removed from the heat.
- I generally leave the additional herb in the syrup for about an hour before discarding the herb.
- additions to the syrup are mentioned in the above text. Examples are basil, mint, rosemary, orange peel. ginger root. Endless possibilities.