Easter and a Spiral Ham, delicious! Now what do I do with all the leftover ham and that ham bone! Thus comes, Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with Ham! Yup that is exactly right! Another fabulous recipe from 365 Slow Cooker Suppers by Stephanie O’Dea which was shared with me by the wonderful publishers at sponsored by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company! Such a great cookbook with an array of fantastic recipes!
We had a lovely Easter dinner that included a spiral ham! My family doesn’t mind leftovers, however, if I can give them leftovers and they do not know it is a leftover, even better! Also, after cooking and baking for a Holiday, the last thing I want to do is more cooking. This slow cooker split pea soup with ham is just the perfect solution!
To prepare this soup for the slow cooker was just a matter of putting in the ham bone, dice an onion, carrot and some of the ham. I exhausted myself by rinsing off the split peas…just kidding!:) It was that easy and then the slow cooker does all the work! I put the slow cooker on low for 10 hours and the aroma was amazing! The soup gets pureed with an immersion blender, so all the flavors blend nicely together! There is a smoky flavor to the soup and my entire family enjoyed it. I served this soup with my Irish Brown Bread and it was a wonderful combination!
This is such a great soup and a terrific way to use the leftover ham bone and meat! I hope you enjoy this soup as much as my family!
I really hope you make and enjoy this recipe, and if so, please share the love on Facebook, Pinterest, or your favorite way of relating to your friends and family, and please continue connecting with me on Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter
Thank you for always sharing my passion and love for food and family!
Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
- 1 ham bone
- 1 cup ham, diced
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 pound dried split peas, rinsed
- 4 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 cup carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a 6 quart slow cooker, add the ham bone, diced ham, diced onion, split peas, chicken stock, water, celery seed, salt, and pepper.
- Cook on low 8 to 10 hours. The peas will be soft. Remove the ham bone. Puree the soup with a handheld immersion blender until smooth. Check seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Adapted from 365 Slow Cooker Suppers by Stephanie O'Dea.
- Any nutritional value used is an estimate. These figures can change based on ingredients and portion size