Cheesy Grilled Foil Packet Potatoes, can you handle some delicious cheesy goodness? I hope so because these are ridiculously delicious, tender and oh so flavorful…..and easy! We also call these campfire potatoes because these potato wedges are awesome grilled over your campfire. Call these foil packet potatoes, campfire potatoes, or grilled potato slices….doesn’t matter to me because they are just darn delicious!
This Grilled Potato recipe is an easily prepared side dish that is a huge hit at my family parties and meals! In the last minute, I top the cooked potatoes with some shredded cheese for the most tender potatoes that are cheesy and addicting!
One of my favorite weeks of the year is Cookout Week and these Grilled Foil Packet Potatoes are a family favorite! Grilled Potato Packets are one of my easiest recipes to make and we enjoy them all summer long. I used
Barlean’s Butter Flavored Coconut Oil which is not only healthy but a perfect addition to these grilled potatoes.
My family calls these campfire potatoes because they are so easy to prep and cook over a campfire or grill. The grilled potato slices are not only a great side dish but we enjoy them as a campfire snack. Cheesy and delicious!
I cannot believe its halfway through 2018 and it is already Cookout Week! This is one of my favorite weeks as I collaborate with some of my favorite food blogger friends to create recipes that are all about a great cookout! Yesterday, I opened the week with all the info on our wonderful sponsors and giveaways thanks to our sponsors.
Today, I give you my first recipe which is amazing and delicious, Cheesy Grilled Foil Packet Potatoes and Onions! Beyond amazing and addicting and I use moderation as I can eat them all myself!
These tasty grilled potatoes in foil pair well with :
How long do you cook grilled foil packet potatoes and onions on the grill?
Foil packet potatoes on the grill recipes vary depending on the size of the potatoes. Cutting the potatoes for this recipe into 2-inch slices takes about 30 minutes to completely cook.
Can I make these foil packet potatoes in the oven?
Absolutely! I make this same recipe in the oven during the winter months. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. place the foil packet potatoes into the oven. The packets should take about 30 – 40 minutes to bake.
What are the best types of potatoes to use to make potatoes on the grill in foil or on the campfire?
To make potatoes on the grill in foil, my favorite potato is an Idaho baking potato. I also use Yukon gold and red potatoes when I’m making grilled potato slices.
What is the best oil to use to make Grilled Potato Recipes?
I love using Barlean’s Coconut OIl flavored with butter to make many recipes including these Grilled Potato Slices. Barleans Coconut Oil has many health benefits and I love to use it in my recipes. You can also use olive, avocado, or grapeseed oil to make these grilled potatoes.
Tips to make Grilled Foil Packet Potatoes:
- Cut potatoes the same size so they cook evenly.
- Feel free to vary herbs to what you have on hand.
- Cooked bacon pieces can be added to the foil packets.
- Also feel free to change cheeses according to what you have available.
Step by Step How to Make Cheesy Grilled Foil Packet Potatoes and Onions:
- On a flat surface, lay out a large piece of aluminum foil, about 20-inch rectangle. Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Slice potatoes into 2-inch slices and place on the aluminum foil. Remove the skin from the Vidalia onion. Dice the onion and add the diced onion to the potatoes on the foil.
- Add the melted Barlean’s Coconut OIl ( butter flavor) or olive oil to the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and any other herbs you choose.
- Fold foil up on both sides and fold over 2-3 times to close seal the top.
- Fold sides of foil up to also seal sides.
- Place on the grill, turn temperature to 400 degrees. let cook about 20-25 minutes. May take longer if you made larger slices.
- Reopen the foil and sprinkle potatoes with cheese. Cheese will melt quickly.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
A huge shout out to Barleans for supporting this amazing #cookout week! I am a huge fan of their products and hope you try their products! I have a delicious recipe using Barlean’s, and it is one of the most popular recipes, Vegan Chocolate Avocado Protein Smoothie
LOVE SEEING AND SHARING YOUR CREATIONS! WHEN YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, I’D LOVE TO SEE IT. TAG @EVERYDAY_EILEEN OR #EVERYDAY_EILEEN
I love any comments or questions, please leave below!
I HOPE YOU CONTINUE CONNECTING WITH ME
Love this recipe, it would be awesome if you give it a 5-star rating and share comments below!
Cheesy Foil Packet Potatoes
- 4 Idaho potatoes, cleaned and cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1 Vidalia onion, peeled and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 sprig fresh Rosemary optional
- 3 Tablespoons Barlean's coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 large piece of aluminum foil
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup low-fat shredded Colby Jack/ cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat grill to 550 degrees.
- Place a large piece of aluminum foil on a solid surface. Spray with nonstick spray. Add the cut potato slices, diced onions, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste, a sprig of rosemary, and Barlean's coconut oil flavored with butter or olive oil. Mix ingredients well.
- Fold the aluminum foil down as in pictures above..like wrapping a present.
- Reduce heat on the grill to 424 degrees. Place the foil packet potatoes on the grill and let roast about 25 minutes.
- Open the foil packet, potatoes should be tender. Sprinkle the cheese on the potatoes and let melt. About 1 more minute. Serve and enjoy!
- Keep the potato slices uniform to maintain even cooking.
- The size of the potatoes and your grill heat can affect the cooking time. Please check the potatoes after 20 minutes and every 5 minutes after that time.
- If these grilled potatoes were being made in the oven, preheat oven to 400 degrees and cook potatoes for about 20 - 30 minutes once. When potatoes are cooked, add the cheese and let cheese melt another minute or two.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation. Actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and portion sizes
Save these Cheesy Campfire Grilled Foil Packet Potatoes to make any time:
I hope you check out the amazing recipes from my fabulous food blogger friends below: