Baked Crispy Chicken Drumsticks are easy to prepare and the chicken is so crispy and low-calorie because the drumsticks are baked and not fried. The chicken is soaked in seasoned buttermilk which makes melt in your mouth chicken with a crispy coating made with flour and more seasoning! Enjoy any day and be sure to pack these for picnics! #NationalPicnicDay
My love of crispy oven fried chicken runs deep. It took me a long time to figure out a recipe that says who needs my chicken fried but I did it! This is an amazing crispy oven fried chicken recipe that will not disappoint. I marinate the chicken in buttermilk and spices which makes the meat super tender. The chicken is then coated in seasoned flour and baked to perfection!
Fried Chicken is amazing but the calories and any heavily fried food, I just can’t do it! I made it a mission to create a really awesome baked crispy chicken drumstick recipe! Whether you want to keep the skin on the chicken or as I do, remove and discard the skin. Fun fact, my son uses the discarded skin for fish bait. Works great! This chicken could also be called buttermilk baked chicken because I let it marinate overnight if possible in buttermilk and seasonings. The coating is flour and another set of seasonings including garlic and onion powder, salt, black pepper, and paprika. Layering the flavors makes an amazing baked crispy chicken drumstick.
Why marinate the chicken drumsticks in buttermilk before baking?
The buttermilk adds flavor and is a tenderizer for the chicken before it is baked. Placing the chicken in the buttermilk also helps the flour to adhere to the chicken.
How long can baked crispy chicken drumsticks keep in the fridge after being cooked?
Cooked chicken drumsticks can keep well covered/wrapped in the fridge for 3 days.
Can these baked chicken drumsticks be frozen after they are cooked?
Yes, this recipe is freezer friendly. Once the chicken is cooked and cooled, the drumsticks can be placed in portions of your choice in freezer bags. Date the bags and ensure most of the air is removed from the freezer bag. The baked chicken can be stored in the freezer for about 3 months.
What can I serve with this baked chicken drumstick recipe?
We love these sides with oven-baked drumsticks:
We are celebrating National Picnic Day which is being hosted by Ellen who runs Family Around the Table. I have partnered with some amazing food bloggers to bring you fabulous picnic foods. Be sure to check out everyone’s recipes:
- Asian Slaw by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Bánh Mì + A Wine Suggestion by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Broccoli Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chicken BLT Shaker Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Deviled Eggs with Horseradish and Dill by Palatable Pastime
- Florida Stone Crab Claws with Key Lime Mustard Dipping Sauce by Family Around the Table
- Italian Antipasto Pasta Salad by Books n’ Cooks
- Marinated Three Bean Salad by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Roasted Corn Salad with Chile Vinaigrette by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Smashed Cucumbers with Vinegar by Simple and Savory
- Southern Crispy Oven Fried Chicken by Everyday Eileen
How to make Baked Crispy Chicken Drumsticks:
- For a healthier option, remove the skim from the drumstick and discard.
- In a large bowl, place the buttermilk, hot sauce, onion and garlic powder, black pepper, and salt. Add the chicken and cover with a lid or plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, overnight is recommended.
- Preheat the oven to 425
- In a medium bowl or large plastic bag combine the flour, thyme, smoked paprika, black pepper, and salt. *cayenne pepper if you like a kick.
- Once the chicken has marinated, remove from the buttermilk and shake excess liquid from the chicken.
- Place 2 teaspoons of unsalted butter on the baking sheet, place in the oven to melt the butter for about 1-2 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven.
- If you chose a bag to place the flour mix, add a few pieces of the chicken into the bag and close it. Shake the bag so flour covers all the chicken pieces.
- The bowl method, add a piece at a time to dredge the chicken in the flour and shake off any excess flour.
- Place the chicken drumsticks onto the buttered baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes.
- The internal temperature of the chicken should be 185 degrees to have moist delicious chicken drumsticks.
When you make this recipe for crispy baked chicken drumsticks, take a pic and tag me on Instagram @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen
I love any comments or questions below!
I HOPE YOU CONTINUE CONNECTING WITH ME:
Are you loving this baked chicken drumstick recipe, giving it a 5-star rating is super helpful for me and very much appreciated!
Baked Crispy Chicken Drumsticks
Oven baked crispy chicken drumsticks are always a great crowd-pleasing meal. Perfect addition to a beach day and picnic. The chicken is marinated in seasoned buttermilk then dredged in a seasoned flour for a double layer of flavor. Baked not fried keeps this low-calorie.
- 10 pieces chicken drumsticks, skin removed 4 ounces each I also added some thighs
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 4 dashes hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper option, if you like it spicy
In a large bowl add the buttermilk, hot sauce, smoked paprika, black pepper, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder. Mix to combine the ingredients. Add the drumsticks to the bowl. Cover the bowl with a lid or plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes, overnight is preferred.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Once heated add the unsalted butter to a large baking sheet and place on the center rack of oven for about 2 minutes to melt the butter. Once the butter is melted, remove the rack from oven and set aside.
To Make the Flour Mixture
In either a large bowl or plastic storage bag, add the flour, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, and if using the cayenne pepper. Mix ingredients.
If using the large bowl, add the drumstick marinated pieces, shake excess marinade off before placing chicken in the flour mixture. Dredge the chicken in the flour and again, shake off excess flour. Place on the buttered baking sheet. Do this with all the chicken.
Using the storage bag method, combine 2 - 3 pieces at a time to the bag. Seal and shake to coat the chicken with the flour mixture. Remove the chicken from the bag and place on buttered baking sheet. Do this with all the chicken.
Once all chicken drumsticks have been dredged in the flour mixture and placed on the baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes. The internal temperature of the chicken should be 185 degrees. Serve and enjoy
- I prefer using low-fat buttermilk. Full-fat buttermilk (which is still not very fattening) can be used.
- It is a personal choice about leaving the skin on the chicken. My family does not eat the skin, so I always remove. This recipe is based on skinless chicken drumsticks. Please adjust calories if not removing the skin.
- I love the flavor of smoked paprika in this crispy baked chicken. Regular paprika works if you do not have the smoked paprika.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation and actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and proportion sizes.