Crispy Chicken Drumsticks are my go-to better for you comfort food. They are easy to prepare and absolutely delicious. The chicken is crunchy and full of flavor. Baking the chicken gives a crunchy coating without adding extra calories or mess from frying!
Enjoy baked chicken legs any day and be sure to pack these for picnics and beach days!
Baked Crispy Chicken Drumsticks are so crispy and juicy!
My love of crispy chicken legs runs deep. It took me a bit of time to figure out an baked chicken recipe that blows away fried chicken but I did it! This is an amazing crispy drumstick recipe that will not disappoint.
Crispy Baked Chicken Drumsticks:
- If you prefer to remove the skin, the crispy coating adheres well to the drumsticks.
- Frying foods is full of unnecessary fats and calories.
- Marinate the chicken in seasoned buttermilk adds flavor to the chicken.
- The flour coating can be gluten-free, almond flour, or regular ap-flour. Use whatever works for your family.
Crispy Baked Oven Baked Chicken Drumsticks
Fried Chicken is amazing but the calories and any heavily fried food, I just can’t do it! I made it a mission to create a really awesome crispy chicken drumstick recipe that is baked! These chicken are going to blow you away! So so good!
The coating is flour and another set of seasonings including garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper, and paprika. Layering the flavors makes an amazing baked crispy chicken drumstick.
Why marinate the chicken in buttermilk before baking the drumsticks?
The buttermilk adds flavor and is a tenderizer for the chicken before it is baked. Placing the chicken in the buttermilk also helps the flour to adhere to the chicken.
How long should I marinate the chicken in the buttermilk?
I would marinate no less than 30 minutes. I have marinated the chicken overnight when I have the time.
How long can crispy baked chicken drumsticks keep in the fridge after being cooked?
Cooked chicken drumsticks can keep well covered/wrapped in the fridge for 3 days.
Can these baked chicken drumsticks be frozen after they are cooked?
Yes, this recipe is freezer friendly. Once the chicken is cooked and cooled, the drumsticks can be placed in portions of your choice in freezer bags. Date the bags and ensure most of the air is removed from the freezer bag. The baked chicken can be stored in the freezer for about 3 months.
What can I serve with this baked chicken drumstick recipe?
- Easy Roasted Crispy Potatoes:These potatoes are absolutely delicious!
- Slow Cooker Baked Beans: A super easy recipe for some amazing baked beans!
- Red Lentil Salad: A tasty and easy salad!
- Creamy Stovetop Mac and Cheese from Love Bakes Good Cakes, what can I say, stovetop mac and cheese rules!
- Mashed Potatoes with Cream Cheese from Fearless Dining, these are amazing taters!
These crispy chicken drumsticks are super juicy and delicious!
My family is a huge fan of easy chicken recipes! Another of my most popular chicken leg recipes is Marinated Chicken Drumsticks!
These are quite popular with my family and always requested for family parties!
How to Make Baked Chicken Drumsticks:
How to make a buttermilk marinade for crispy baked chicken drumsticks
- For a healthier option, remove the skin from the drumstick and discard.
- In a large bowl, place the buttermilk, hot sauce, onion and garlic powder, black pepper, and salt. Add the chicken and cover with a lid or plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, overnight is recommended.
How to Bake Crispy Chicken Drumsticks:
- Preheat the oven to 425
- In a medium bowl or large plastic bag combine the flour, thyme, smoked paprika, black pepper, and salt. *cayenne pepper if you like a kick.
- Once the chicken has marinated, remove from the buttermilk and shake excess liquid from the chicken.
- Place 2 teaspoons of unsalted butter on the baking sheet, place in the oven to melt the butter for about 1-2 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven.
- If you chose a bag to place the flour mix, add a few pieces of the chicken into the bag and close it. Shake the bag so flour covers all the chicken pieces.
6. The bowl method, add a piece at a time to dredge the chicken in the flour and shake off any excess flour.
7. Place the chicken drumsticks onto the buttered baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes.
8. The internal temperature of the chicken should be 185 degrees to have moist delicious chicken drumsticks.
When you make this recipe for baked crispy chicken drumsticks, take a pic and tag me on Instagram @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen I love any comments or questions below!
I HOPE YOU CONTINUE CONNECTING WITH ME:
Are you loving this baked chicken drumstick recipe, giving it a 5-star rating is super helpful for me and very much appreciated!
Baked Crispy Chicken Drumsticks
- 10 pieces chicken drumsticks, skin removed 4 ounces each I also added some thighs
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- In a large bowl add the buttermilk, hot sauce, smoked paprika, black pepper, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder. Mix to combine the ingredients. Add the drumsticks to the bowl. Cover the bowl with a lid or plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes, overnight is preferred.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Once heated add the unsalted butter to a large baking sheet and place on the center rack of oven for about 2 minutes to melt the butter. Once the butter is melted, remove the rack from oven and set aside.
To Make the Flour Mixture
- In either a large bowl or plastic storage bag, add the flour, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, and if using the cayenne pepper. Mix ingredients.
- If using the large bowl, add the drumstick marinated pieces, shake excess marinade off before placing chicken in the flour mixture. Dredge the chicken in the flour and again, shake off excess flour. Place on the buttered baking sheet. Do this with all the chicken.
- Using the storage bag method, combine 2 - 3 pieces at a time to the bag. Seal and shake to coat the chicken with the flour mixture. Remove the chicken from the bag and place on buttered baking sheet. Do this with all the chicken.
- Once all chicken drumsticks have been dredged in the flour mixture and placed on the baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes. The internal temperature of the chicken should be 185 degrees. Serve and enjoy
- I prefer using low-fat buttermilk. Full-fat buttermilk (which is still not very fattening) can be used.
- It is a personal choice about leaving the skin on the chicken. My family does not eat the skin, so I always remove. This recipe is based on skinless chicken drumsticks. Please adjust calories if not removing the skin.
- I love the flavor of smoked paprika in this crispy baked chicken. Regular paprika works if you do not have the smoked paprika.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation and actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and proportion sizes.
Pin Baked Crispy Oven Baked Chicken to make later:
We are celebrating National Picnic Day which is being hosted by Ellen who runs Family Around the Table. I have partnered with some amazing food bloggers to bring you fabulous picnic foods. Be sure to check out everyone’s recipes:
- Asian Slaw by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Bánh Mì + A Wine Suggestion by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Broccoli Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chicken BLT Shaker Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Deviled Eggs with Horseradish and Dill by Palatable Pastime
- Florida Stone Crab Claws with Key Lime Mustard Dipping Sauce by Family Around the Table
- Italian Antipasto Pasta Salad by Books n’ Cooks
- Marinated Three Bean Salad by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Roasted Corn Salad with Chile Vinaigrette by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Smashed Cucumbers with Vinegar by Simple and Savory
- Southern Crispy Oven Fried Chicken by Everyday Eileen