I'm always on the lookout for easy, healthy weeknight dinners and this Crockpot Sweet and Sour Chicken is a winner! The chicken cooks up so tender in the crockpot and the sweet and sour sauce is perfect. Serve it over rice or quinoa for a complete meal. This dish is sure to become a family favorite!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- Tender chicken cooked in the crockpot!
- Save money by making your takeout favorite at home.
- Perfect sweet and sour sauce!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- green bell pepper
- red bell pepper
- chopped onion
- boneless skinless chicken breast
- granulated white sugar
- orange juice
- apple cider vinegar
- soy sauce (I used low sodium)
- ginger paste
- pineapple tidbits in juice, drained
- slow cooker
- knife and cutting board
- measuring cups and spoons
This is an overview of the recipe. The full instructions are below in the recipe card.
- Place all ingredients into your slow cooker.
- Stir well to mix.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Optional: serve over white rice, brown rice, or quinoa.
After cooking, store leftover sweet and sour chicken in the refrigerator for up to five days or freeze it for later.
Expert Tip: For even cooking try to get your chicken pieces as close to the same size as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, that's the best part of using a slow cooker, it's one pot and very little effort.
Sweet and sour chicken in the crockpot is typically found in China and East Asia.
Typically, a sweet and sour chicken batter is made from egg whites, corn starch, sugar, salt, and rice wine.
- Switch out the white sugar for a low-carb alternative like Erythritol or Swerve.
- Use an adequate substitute for soy sauce, such as Coconut Aminos.
- Skip the rice and serve over zucchini noodles instead!
- Add some heat to this dish by adding crushed red pepper flakes to your sauce.
- Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken pairs well with a side of Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice.
- This chicken is perfect over Instant Pot Quinoa.
- My family always craves Asian Sticky Wings as an appetizer when we have this recipe as our main course.
- Do you prefer noodles instead of rice? If so, you will enjoy this Instant Pot Chow Mein recipe.
- Slow Cooker Moo Shu Pork Recipe is another take-out fake-out that is so delicious and much more affordable than ordering out.
- Another winner are these Slow Cooker Hot Honey Sandwiches, another easy set and forget dinner.
- Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie is full of flavor and super easy to assemble.
- Check out all our Slow Cooker recipes here.
The form you have selected does not exist.
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below.
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
Thank you for your continued support. I am forever grateful.
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large red pepper, seeded and chopped
- ⅓ cup yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breast, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- ¼ cup granulated white sugar
- ⅛ cup orange juice
- 3 Tablespoons corn starch
- 3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce for this recipe, we use low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 (20) ounce can, pineapple tidbits in juice, drained
- Place all ingredients into your slow cooker. Stir well to mix.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 6 to 8 hours. Every slow cooker is different, the internal temperature of the chicken should be 165°F/74°C when cooked through.
- Serve over white rice, brown rice, or quinoa.