Pumpkin Spice makes everything nice is so true when it comes to these ridiculously flavorful cupcakes. Nothing better than a homemade baked treat filling your senses with cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves, the warm flavors of fall. Take it one step further and top these sweet delights with a luscious maple cream cheese frosting. If you're ready to impress your tastebuds, make a batch of these Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes today.
My favorite time of year is pumpkin season. My new found love of baking has been good to me when it comes to fall treats. I've been baking up a storm this season. We are enjoying quite a few batches of my pecan pumpkin pie bars. These pumpkin spice cupcakes have become a fast favorite of the families. They're moist, tender and if I don't mind saying, exceptionally good!
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes Ingredients
- unsalted butter - adds moisture to the cupcakes.
- brown sugar - adds sweetness.
- white sugar - more sweetener to the cupcake.
- eggs - bind the cupcakes.
- vanilla extract - gives another level of flavor.
- pumpkin puree- these are pumpkin cupcakes so they need pumpkin puree.
- buttermilk - enables the cupcake batter to be tender.
- cake flour - makes these cupcakes light and fluffy.
- baking soda - gives a little tartness to balance the sweetness.
- baking powder - leavening to the batter
- salt - enhances the flavor.
- cinnamon - the spices complement the pumpkin
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes FAQs
Can I freeze pumpkin spice cupcakes?
Unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen for up 3 weeks ahead s long as they are in freezer-safe bags.
How do I store pumpkin spice cupcakes?
Once the cupcakes are frosted, keep in the fridge.
What can I use if I don't have cake flour?
The best solution would be to measure out 1 cup of all-purpose flour. Then remove 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour. Place it back in your flour canister. Lastly, replace the removed all-purpose flour with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Personally, I prefer cake flour, the cupcakes are lighter and fluffier.
I do not have buttermilk, what can I use?
I use buttermilk a lot, case in point, my Irish Soda Bread, so we always have it available. If you do not, for every cup of buttermilk, use 1 cup milk with 1 Tablespoon vinegar.
The recipe uses Neufchatel cheese, can I use regular cream cheese for the frosting?
I use lower-fat cream cheese or Neufchatel to cut calories. Feel free to use full-fat cream cheese, it will work well to make the frosting.
SHOP THIS RECIPE
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- cupcake tin - These are the muffin tins I have used for as long as I can remember. They are durable and work well.
- cupcake holder/transporter - Love this holder. Sturdy and a good transporter for cupcakes.
Check out my store, Everyday Eileen I share all my favorite finds!
Looking for some more pumpkin recipes, Pumpkin Butter is awesome on toast and in coffee. For something savory, pumpkin mac and cheese is always a hit. Another favorite is turkey pumpkin chili, an easy one-pot dinner.
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place cupcake liners into tins.
- Sift dry ingredients together. Set aside.
- Cream butter and brown sugar.
- Add in eggs and vanilla.
- Mix in pumpkin puree.
- Slowly blend half of the flour mixture.
- Then add in the buttermilk.
- Repeat. Once blended, pour batter into cupcakes liners.
- Bake about 15-20 minutes.
How to make Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- Mix cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Blend in and mix well maple syrup an confectioners sugar.
- Frost cupcakes.
Give us a like on FACEBOOK
For great recipes and tips, follow along on Pinterest.
Thank you for always sharing my passion and love for food and family!
Are you loving this recipe, comment and give it a 5-star rating would be awesome
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
Wet ingredients for pumpkin spice cupcakes
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
Dry Ingredients for Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup cup buttermilk
Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 ounces Neufchatel cheese Note 1
- 2 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- ¼ cup pure Maple syrup
- ¾ cup confectioners sugar
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place cupcake liners in a 12 muffin tin.
- In the bowl of stand mixer or large mixing bowl, cream together unsalted butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until well mixed, about 5 minutes. As needed, scrape down the bowl.
- Add in one egg and vanilla, mix well for at least 2 minutes.
- Add in the second egg and mix well another 2-3 minutes.
- Blend in the pumpkin puree. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift cake flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and nutmeg.
- To the pumpkin puree mixture, alternate and add ½ sifted flour mix and ½ of buttermilk.
- Blend the mixture. Repeat with remaining flour mix and buttermilk. Gently blend.
- Pour into cupcake liners ¾ full. Bake for 15 -20 minutes.
- Let cupcakes cool
How to Make Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- Blend cream cheese into a bowl of stand mixer or a large bowl to use a hand mixer to blend well.
- Add in the maple syrup, blend for a minute.
- On low speed, blend in confectioners sugar to completely mix the frosting.
Assemble the Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Maple Cream Frosting
- Frost the cupcakes with your preferred decorating tips
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation and actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and portion sizes