My Pumpkin Butter Recipe is sweet, delicious and easy to make. All you need is a can of pumpkin puree, a few spices, and about 20 minutes, you’ll have a delightful butter that blows those expensive store made pumpkin butters away.
I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of the #PumpkinWeek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
Fall is a favorite season for me. There is something comforting about putting on that comfy sweater and boots that just warms my heart. I love hitting up the farms and getting fresh fall veggies and touring the wineries. Then there’s the leaves and of course pumpkin picking and a bevy of pumpkin recipes.
Pumpkin Butter Recipe
Yes my friend, this pumpkin butter recipe is one of my favorite things to make for my family and friends. It’s a super easy recipe to make and everyone will love the results. We put it on toast, add to baking recipes, you name it! It’s also an awesome hostess gift. Bring some along to family and share the pumpkin love.
Pumpkin Butter ingredients
- pumpkin puree – a must have to make pumpkin butter. Canned is what I use. Be sure to use puree and not pumpkin pie filling – that has added spices and not the same as pure puree. You can also make your own puree.
- apple juice – adds a nice sweetness to the recipe. I have used homemade apple cider when I have it available, delish.
- white sugar – adds sweetness. I use Dixie Crystal sugar
- brown sugar – another level of sweetness. Also use Dixie Crystal Sugar
- pumpkin pie spice – has a lot of spices to add depth
- ground cinnamon – adds both sweetness and dash of spice.
- ground ginger – adds a nice bit of spice flavor to the butter.
- fresh nutmeg – a fabulous spice that creams fall and adds a lovely flavor to the recipe. I prefer to use fresh but you can use ground nutmeg.
- maple extract – adds a lovely maple flavor without adding sugar. If you do not have maple extract add 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup.
A special thank you to Dixie Crystal Sugar, one of our sponsors. They have wonderful products and have been very generous to many of the theme weeks for my food blogger friends.
Pumpkin Butter Recipe FAQs
How do I use pumpkin butter?
Pumpkin butter is awesome on toast, smoothies, pancakes, french toast, martinis, granola, overnight oats, pumpkin lattes….so many ideas.
How long can I keep pumpkin butter in the fridge?
We keep the butter in the fridge for about 5 days, well covered.
Can I freeze pumpkin butter?
Yes. You can place the pumpkin butter in ice cube trays. Once they’re frozen, place in a freezer bag and use within 3-4 months.
Am I able to can pumpkin butter?
I do not can pumpkin butter based on information I found on the National Center for Home Food Preservation website.
Can I use fresh pumpkin in this pumpkin butter recipe?
I love cooking from scratch. I have made pumpkin butter from scratch and it is delicious. The results are quite similar and the canned pumpkin is my preferred method.
Does pumpkin pie filling work for this recipe?
You do not want to use pumpkin pie filling. It has added sweeteners and will be way to sweet. Use pure pumpkin puree.
Pro tips to make pumpkin butter
- Be sure to use pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling.
- Use fresh spices. If you have spices in your cupboard for a very long time, invest in new spices. They will lose their spice.
- This is a quick recipe to make on the stovetop. I will include slow cooker recipe in the recipe.
- Maple extract is a great addition to your spice rack. Great for frostings, pancakes. Try to buy a bottle for yourself.
- Fresh nutmeg is another great addition to this recipe. I use it alot in the fall and winter. Great for eggnog martinis too.
SHOP THIS RECIPE
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Ceramic ramekins : These are the ramekins I have used in these photos. Love them and will be using them alot. Great for baking treats too.
- Pure Maple Extract: there are many choices here. I recommend a pure extract for great flavor.
- Pumpkin Puree: this is the puree you need to use for this and most of my pumpkin recipes.
Checkout my store, Everyday Eileen I share all my favorite finds!
Celebrating Pumpkin Week
Fall is in the air, and we are celebrating our love of pumpkin with #PumpkinWeek hosted by Terri from Love and Confections and Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures. All week-long 34 bloggers will be sharing 140+ fantastic recipes for all your Autumn celebrations, including breakfasts, baked goods, savory pumpkin recipes, desserts, and drinks. Thank you sponsors for providing the prize packages. Don’t forget to enter the giveaway below!
PRIZE #1 DIXIE CRYSTALS
Dixie Crystals is giving one winner a Marble Rolling Pin and Board Set.
Since 1917, Dixie Crystals® has been the South’s choice for high-quality sugar and sweeteners. For generations, Dixie Crystals has been at the heart of family traditions and celebrations. Our pure cane, non-GMO sugar products guarantee that treasured family recipes will turn out right every time. Bake with love and Dixie Crystals.
PRIZE#2 SWEETS & TREATS
We believe in flavor for all and opportunity for all. In the beginning, Rinaldo and Ezilda Torre visited family in Lucca, Italy. They returned home to San Francisco with handwritten recipes, which they used to create authentic flavored syrups. Needless to say, the syrups we’re a hit. A lot has happened since then, but our belief has
remained the same: Flavor for All, Opportunity for All. It means that not only are the products we make inclusive and approachable, but so is our success. We believe everything starts with people, and the only way to truly succeed is to succeed together. Today, you can use more than 100 of our naturally flavored syrups, sauces and beverage bases in coffees, sodas, teas, smoothies, cocktails and more.
PRIZE#4 CABOT CREAMERY CO-OPERATIVE
Cabot is giving one winner a gift box of assorted Cabot cheeses.
The farm families that own Cabot Creamery Co-operative love what they do. And they’ve been doing it for a long time—every single day since 1919. Almost 100 years later, we’re proud of our thriving farms, strong communities, and happy, healthy cows that produce the rich, buttery milk that we use to make Cabot’s award-winning cheese and dairy products. We like to think those awards mean we’re doing something right. Of course, you’re a big part of this too. If you love eating our cheese as much as we love making it, then we’ll get to keep doing what we do for generations to come.
Thank you to #PumpkinWeek Sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Sweets & Treats, Torani, and Cabot Creamery Co-operative for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #PumpkinWeek recipes. All opinions are my own. The #PumpkinWeek giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning.
Four (4) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. Winners have 48 hours to respond once chosen, or they forfeit the prize and alternate winner(s) will be chosen. The #PumpkinWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #PumpkinWeek posts or entry.
Give us a like on FACEBOOK
For great recipes and tips, follow along on Pinterest.
Thank you for always sharing my passion and love for food and family!
Are you loving this recipe, giving it a 5-star rating and any comments are super helpful for me and very much appreciated.
Pumpkin Butter Recipe
- 29 ounce can, pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup white sugar Dixie Crystal Sugar is preferred
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar Dixie Crystal Sugar is preferred
- 2 Tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon pure maple extract Note 1
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg Note 2
- In a medium sized saucepan, over medium- high heat. Stir in all the ingredients. pumpkin puree, apple juice, white sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, pure maple extract, ground ginger, and freshly grated nutmeg.
- Bring the pumpkin mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer about 20 minute. Stir occasionally.
- Turn heat off.
- Let the pumpkin puree cool slightly and taste for seasoning.
- Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Can be kept well covered in the fridge for about 5 days.
- Can be frozen for 3-4 months.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Add into the vessel of the slow cooker all the ingredients, pumpkin puree, apple juice, white sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, pure maple extract, ground ginger, and freshly grated nutmeg.
- Stir the ingredients to combine. Place cover on the slow cooker.
- Set to low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
- Once cook time complete, go to step 5 above to complete.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation and actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and proportion sizes.