The Best Beef Mushroom Guinness Pie is a fantastic meal filled with beef marinated in Guinness Stout! The beef and veggies can be braise in the oven, cooked in the Instant Pot or slow cooker! The stout adds a rich flavor to tenderize the beef!
The beef pie is loaded with savory mushrooms and veggies. The Guinness beef pie is served as a classic Pub style meal. A hearty meal that is true comfort food and delicious! To top it off, Beef Mushroom Guinness Pie is a perfect meal to celebrate Saint Patrick's Day just like they do in Ireland!
This delicious beef pie is loaded with savory mushrooms and veggies. The Guinness beef pie is served as a classic Pub style meal. A hearty meal that is true comfort food and delicious! To top it off, Beef Mushroom Guinness Pie is a perfect meal to celebrate Saint Patrick's Day just like they do in Ireland!
I have shared with you all how my family goes all out to celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day. This year will be no different! I have already begun making my family's favorite Irish Soda Bread and
What goes great with Soda Bread, besides another family favorite, Guinness Beef Stew but a great Beef, Mushroom Guinness Pie.
That's right, today I am sharing an old favorite of mine. A true Irish classic savory beef Guinness pie!
What type of beef is best to make Beef Mushroom Guinness Pie?
Use either chuck or bottom round beef to get tender cooked meat. Buy the roast whole and cut into 2-inch cubes, much more cost-effective.
Tips to have an awesome tasting Guinness Beef Pie:
- Cut the carrots into 1-inch chunks so they do not get too soft once cooked.
- I prefer a button or baby Bella mushroom in this recipe.
- Puff Pastry is a great topping for these Guinness Pie and it is so easy to use a store-bought puff pastry.
BEEF MUSHROOM GUINNESS PIE FAQ'S
- Yup, some little-known facts! Did you know that Beef Guinness Pies are served all over Ireland!
- You won't find too many corned beef sandwiches on a menu in Ireland! However, they are delicious!
- Many recipes include bacon. I choose to leave it out as I find the recipe is awesome with mushrooms for more veggie flavor.
- Steak Pies, as they were originally called in England use ale. Ireland uses Guinness Stout, thus we have Beef Guinness Pies.
As I share this recipe with you all today, I am also participating in a Saint Patrick's Day food celebration. The event is hosted by my friend Carlee, who runs Cooking with Carlee! I hope you check out their wonderful recipes too!
- Chocolate Guinness Cake from Cindy's Recipes and Writing
- Chocolate Irish Cream Truffles from The Freshman Cook
- Celtic Knot Rolls from Cooking With Carlee
- Colcannon from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Irish Pub Salad from Cookaholic Wife
- Colcannon with Kale from Simple and Savory
- Corned Beef and Cabbage from Tip Garden
- Double Chocolate Fudge for St. Patrick's Day from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Fisherman's Pie from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Instant Pot and Slow Cooker Dublin Coddle from All That's Jas
- Irish Cheddar & Dried Cherry Soda Bread from Faith, Hope, Love & Luck
- Leprechaun Bait from Palatable Pastime
- Irish Potato Leek Soup from House of Nash Eats
- Chow from Soulfully Made
- Irish Soda Bread Muffins from Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Irish Soda Bread Scones from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Pretzel Shamrocks from Family Around the Table
- St. Patrick's Day Lucky Chow from Soulfully Made
Some other easy meals you may enjoy are:
Slow Cooker Cranberry Pot Roast
Pot Roast and Vegetables Braised in Red Wine
How to make Beef Mushroom Guinness Pie:
- Thinly slice the mushrooms. Cut the celery into ¼ inch slices. Thinly slice onions. Peel and cut the carrots into 1 inch chunks. (See above top left photo)
- Cut the beef roast or beef cut of choice into 2 inch chunks. Seasoned flour with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Dust the beef lightly with flour and brown the beef in your Dutch oven or Instant Pot. (Second photo, top right)
- Add in the cut veggies into your Dutch oven or Instant Pot.
- Add in a bouquet garni. A very fancy name for fresh herbs tied up in kitchen twine. You can see some of my bouquet and kitchen string in the photo above, right! This gets removed after cooking, in case you were wondering.
- Add in the Guinness Stout and fat-free beef broth.
- The detailed instructions to complete braising in the oven, slow cooker and Instant Pot are below in the recipe.
When you make this yummy Beef Mushroom Guinness Pie, take a pic and tag me on Instagram @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen
I love any comments or questions below!
I HOPE YOU CONTINUE CONNECTING WITH ME:
FACEBOOK INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, TWITTER
Are you loving this tasty Beef Guinness Pie, giving it a 5-star rating and any comments are super helpful for me and very much appreciated!
Beef Mushroom Guinness Pie
Stout. A great warm hearty meal for an Autumn or winter evening. A fantastic meal to serve for a Saint Patrick's Day dinner or celebration.
Prepare the beef
- 2 pounds beef round, cut into 2 inch cubes
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3-4 Tablespoons olive oil for browning the beef
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 14 ounces button mushrooms, thinly sliced Baby Bella mushrooms can be used
- 5 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 stalks celery, cut into ¼ inch pieces
- 2 cups Guinness Stout see note below.
- 1 cup fat-free beef broth
- 2-3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon dry ground mustard I use Coleman's dry Mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- kitchen twine
Puff Pastry Topping
- 1 package Puff Pastry (17.3 ounces)
- 1 medium egg, whisked well
Dredge beef in flour
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Lightly dredge each piece of beef in the flour mixture. Shake off excess flour. Set aside pieces until all are dredged.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Set your Instant Pot to Saute and leave at the Normal function. Once ready, the indicator light will change to HOT!
- Add one Tablespoon of olive oil to the heated Instant Pot. Add the flour dredged beef to brown. A few pieces at a time. Don't overcrowd the Instant Pot. As the beef pieces brown, remove and set aside until all beef is cooked. You may need to add another 1-2 more Tablespoons of olive oil for browning the remaining beef.
- Add the remaining Tablespoon of olive oil to the Instant Pot and add the onions and garlic. Saute for about 2-3 minutes.
- Deglaze the pot by carefully adding into the pot remaining Guinness Stout. Use a wooden spoon to loosen all the brown bits at the bottom of the pot. Add the mushrooms, celery, carrots, beef broth and bouquet garni. (instructions to make are below).
- Place top on the Instant Pot, turn the valve to seal. Press the Meat/Stew to 30 minutes. Do a quick release by turning the valve to vent. Once release complete, remove the top. Take about ¼ cup of the Guinness/broth liquid and place in a cup. Stir in 1 teaspoon cornstarch, combine well. Add back into the beef mixture. Remove the Bouquet Garni, discard. Check seasoning, adjust if needed. Go to Preparing the Individual Guinness Mushroom Beef PIes or One Large PIe
Oven Braised Instructions
- Dredge beef in flour as instructed above. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a Dutch oven, over medium heat add 1 Tablespoon olive oil. Brown the beef on all sides. Do in batches so the pan is not overcrowded. Add another 1-2 Tablespoons of oil as needed to brown the beef. Put last Tablespoon of olive oil into the pan. Add in the onions and garlic. Saute for about 2-3 minutes to soften onions. Add in the Guinness Stout and use a wooden spoon to pick up all the brown bits in the bottom of pot. Add in the mushrooms, carrots, celery, beef stock, and bouquet garni. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Place cover on pot and place in the oven. Center rack is best. Let braise for about 2 ½ hours. In a medium- size bowl stir together 1½ teaspoosn cornstarch and ¼ cup of water together, combine well. Add back into the beef mixture. Check the beef, should be tender. Add another half hour of cooking, if needed. Remove Bouquet Garni and discard. Check seasoning, adjust if needed.Go to Preparing the Individual Guinness Mushroom Beef PIes or One Large PIe
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Follow the instructions to Dredge the beef in flour. In a Dutch oven, over medium heat add 1 Tablespoon olive oil. Brown the beef on all sides. Do in batches so the pan is not overcrowded. Add another 1-2 Tablespoons of oil as needed to brown the beef. Put the last Tablespoon of olive oil into the pan. Add the onions and garlic. Saute for about 2-3 minutes to soften onions. Add in the Guinness Stout and use a wooden spoon to pick up all the brown bits in the bottom of the pot. Transfer to a slow-cooker. Add the mushrooms, carrots, celery, beef stock, and bouquet garni. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover slow-cooker. Cook on low 6 hours. High for 4 hours. Check seasoning when the slow-cooking period is complete. Adjust if needed. Take about ¼ cup of the Guinness/broth liquid and place in a cup. Stir in 1 teaspoon cornstarch, combine well. Add back into the beef mixture. Remove Bouquet Garni, discard. Check seasoning, adjust if necessary.Go to Preparing the Individual Guinness Mushroom Beef PIes or One Large PIe
Preparing the Individual Guinness Mushroom Beef Pies or One Large Pie
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. If using individual personal crocks, measure the pastry puff to fit slightly wider than the crock. Cut the circles out and set aside. Split the beef mixture between the crocks. Top with the puff pastry. Cut 2-3 slits to release air. Brush the pastry with the egg wash. Place crocks on a large cookie sheet with lip and cook for about 15 minutes. Pastry should be golden. Serve immediatelyIf using a 10 inch pie pan. Put the beef mixture into the pie pan. Combine the puff pastry sheets into one sheet according to the box instructions. Usually a bit of water in the finger and press the sheets together works. Lay the sheet on top of the pie. Make a few slits in the pastry to release stem. Brush with the egg wash. Place on a cookie sheet with a lip and bake on middle rack for about 15-20 minutes. Check at 15 minutes. Pastry should be golden. Serve immediately.
How to make a Bouquet Garni
- Lay a piece of butchers twine about 12 inches long on a table. Lay the parsley, thyme, bay leaf and rosemary onto the twine. Wrap the twine around the herbs and tie them up.
- When cooking the meat, I use beef round whole. I cut into 2-inch cubes as it is way more affordable than buying pre-cut pieces.
- Feel free to use other cuts of beef such as bottom round and chuck, if that is what your family prefers.
- Guinness Stout foams. Pour the stout for the recipe slowly into a 2-quart measuring cup. Add liquid slowly, ½ cups. Let it foam and then add more. Until you are at 2 cups for the recipe.
- The broth will be somewhat liquidy when adding to the pie pan or individual pies. The liquid thickens up as it cooks.
all nutritional value is estimated. This can fluctuate due to portion size and ingredients.
Pin Beef Mushroom Guinness Pie to make later: