Veggie Tater Totchos are going to make you so very happy. If you don’t know what totchos are, sit back and give me 5 minutes to make your tastebuds happy. This recipe is a delightful twist on nachos. It’s full of veggie tater tots topped with a double kick of cheesy goodness, beans, pico, guac, and yes a little more cheese!
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #VeggiesWithMcCain #CollectiveBias
When my kids get home from school they are starving. It’s the point in the day where they pass me by and want to invade the fridge. It’s super important for them to have a well balanced after school snack. My friends, these veggie totchos are their new go-to snack. In fact, my daughter has asked me to make these for dinner too.
McCain® Veggie Taters™ are the base of this delicious totchos recipe. My family goes nuts for these tasty veggie tater treats. I love that they’re getting a great snack/meal and it takes no time to get this recipe ready.
These totchos are awesome for the after school hunger pains. Today, my boys enjoyed a big batch while watching their favorite college football game.
The versatility of this recipe is just wonderful. As many of you know, the hubs cooking skills are not his strongest asset.
The hubs asked me to show him how to make these for our Sunday football snack too. These veggie totchos are so easy to make, even the hubs is now an expert.
McCain® Veggie Taters™
Okay everyone, let’s get to the heart of these amazing totchos. I found McCain® Veggie Taters™in the freezer section of my local Shoprite. Besides the fact that they are yummy.
The taters are a veggie potato combo. McCain® Veggie Taters™ are awesome as a side dish, appetizer, or a snack. The varieties are delicious.
- McCain® Potato, Broccoli & Cheddar Veggie Taters™
- McCain® Potato & Cauliflower Veggie Taters™
- McCain® Potato, Spinach & Asiago Veggie Taters™
We could not decide which McCain® Veggie Taters™ to start with and we still can’t pick a favorite. Use a combo of all three varieties when making the totchos.
The McCain® Veggie Taters™ have a potato base with the addition of veggies and cheese, which provides the most fabulous flavors.
Everyone wants to provide their family with great meals. When serving these totchos, using McCain® Veggie Taters™, there is peace of mind knowing veggie taters are made with real veggies and no artificial ingredients.
What are totchos?
Totchos are a tater tot version of nachos. This recipe goes one step beyond and uses McCain® Veggie Taters™ which adds a great addition of veggies and cheese.
How long does it take to make totchos?
It will take about 20 minutes to enjoy this amazing tater veggie snack.
What toppings I use for these veggie totchos?
What can I make with totchos?
Dry Rub Chicken Wings – the wings are finger foods with a dash of spice and they would pair so well with the cheesy totchos.
Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Mushrooms – a vegetarian treat and they would be great with this recipe.
Crispy Chicken Drumsticks – these oven baked drumsticks would be a great dinner pairing.
Right now there is a special offer through Checkout51 to save a dollar on McCain® Veggie Taters™ at your local Wakefern, Shaw’s, and DeMoulas locations!
- Bake McCain® Veggie Taters™ according to the package.
- Combine your bean topping ingredients.
- Place the bean mixture on the McCain® Veggie Taters™.
- Top with cheese.
- Place back long enough to melt the cheese.
- Serve the cheese sauce with the Veggie Totchos.
- In a small bowl over medium heat, add butter and flour.
- Whisk till smooth.
- Add in milk and stir until bubbling, about 5-6 minutes.
- Once thick, the sauce will coat a spoon, remove from heat.
- Add in shredded cheddar cheese. Stir till smooth.
Give us a like on FACEBOOK
For great recipes and tips, follow along on Pinterest.
Thank you for always sharing my passion and love for food and family!
Are you loving this recipe, giving it a 5-star rating and any comments are super helpful for me and very much appreciated.
- 1 box McCain® Potato, Broccoli & Cheddar Veggie Taters™
- 1 box McCain® Potato & Cauliflower Veggie Taters™
- 1 box McCain® Potato, Spinach & Asiago Veggie Taters™
- 15 ounce can of black beans, drained
- 15 ounce can of northern beans, drained
- 8 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes, discard liquid
- 8 ounce canned corn, discard liquid
- 4 ounce can diced green chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounce shredded Mexican cheese
- pico de gallo,optional topping
- guacamole, optional topping
- black olives, optional topping
- sour cream, optional topping
- fresh cilantro, optional garnish
Homemade Cheese Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk full fat milk can be used
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, not pre-shredded Note 4
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Bake McCain® Veggie Taters™ according to the package. Eight minutes, then turn veggie taters and cook another 8 minutes.
- Keep oven on to warm the beans and melt the cheese on totchos.
- In a medium bowl, combine the black beans, northern beans, fire roasted tomatoes, corn, diced chilies, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and salt.
How to make Cheese Sauce
- In a small bowl over medium heat add the butter. Let the butter melt.
- Whisk in the flour and continue to whisk for about 1 minute, to blend the flour and milk.
- Add in and whisk the milk into the pan. Continue to whisk for about 5 minutes.
- The sauce will thicken, should be able to stick to a spoon when thick enough.
- Add in the shredded cheddar cheese, black pepper, and salt.
Assemble the Veggie Totchos
- On a baking tray place the veggie taters. Top with the beans and Mexican shredded cheese.
- Place in the oven for 1-2 minutes, to warm the beans and melt the beans.
- Serve with cheese sauce, pico de gallo, guacamole, black olives, sour cream, and fresh cilantro.