Enjoy Dry Rub Chicken Wings, seasoned with a savory blend of spices that are not too spicy yet have a zing of heat that is just billowing with flavor. The perfect treat for those who want a tasty treat without too much spice.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- Our dry rubbed chicken wing are perfect for snacks, tailgate parties, game day, and family dinners - we love bringing these along to potlucks!
- This is a savory dry rub that has the perfect amount of spices.
- The chicken wings are baked and the end result is amazing zesty wings with a crispy exterior and the most tender meat.
- Bake the wings at high heat so they get really crispy and crunchy.
- chicken wings
- black pepper - a staple spice that adds a nice sharp flavor to the wings.
- celery salt - adds a nice subtle spice to the wings.
- dry mustard - balances the spicy flavors.
- garlic powder - a nice hearty flavor for the wings.
- onion powder - a sweet flavor to balance the paprika.
- paprika - a nice smoky spice.
- Kosher salt - a staple ingredient that adds flavor
- cumin - adds a nice level of flavor.
- chili powder - optional – if you prefer a little more spice
- ground thyme - optional - adds another level of flavor to these crunchy and crispy baked wings.
- canola oil - grapeseed oil, avocado oil, or vegetable oil are great substitutes.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is an overview of the recipe. The full instructions are below in the recipe card.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a small bowl, combine all the spices to make the dry rub. Set aside.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with a paper towel. Season the chicken wings all over with the dry rub.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes in the preheated oven.
- When chicken wing temperature should be 165 degrees when done.
Leftovers can be stored in a covered airtight covered container for up to 3 days.
Freezer Instructions: This is a great make-ahead recipe.
If you have leftovers, they freeze really well. I use my food saver to freeze my chicken wings. A freezer-safe storage bag works as well.
The baked chicken wings can be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator and reheat in a 350°F oven until warmed through about 15 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, absolutely. Make the chicken wings ahead of time. When ready to serve, reheat wings at 350°F for about 10-15 minutes until warmed through.
For dry rub wings, 400°F works best in my oven. If you find your wings are not getting golden brown, raise oven temp to 425°F.
Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature which should be 165 degrees according to foodsafety.gov.
Absolutely, I actually have also used this rub on pork and veggies too. It is great mixed into turkey and chicken burgers too.
👩🏻🍳 Eileen's Tips for Success
- Be sure to preheat to ove so the wings go into a hot oven.
- Use paper towels to pat dry the wings before adding the spice rub. This ensures the rub adheres to the wings.
- Use a baking sheet with a rack so the wings cook well all over.
- When placing wings on the rack, space the wings at least an inch apart so they cook evenly.
- Place the wings in a single layer so they get crispy and crunchy.
- If you have the time, place the rub on the chicken the night before and keep covered in the fridge overnight
Spices: Add a teaspoon of Homemade Italian Seasoning for a nice addition of flavor. Try a teaspoon of Herbes de Provence for a different herb flavor.
Another favorite is homemade seasoning salt, which is all-purpose seasoning.
Looking for Cajun baked chicken wings, try our Cajun seasoning on the baked wings.
Our homemade chicken seasoning is a great spice blend to keep in the spice rack for chicken wings.
If you love a good spicy wing, add 1 teaspoon of cayenne powder to the dry rub recipe.
This is a low-carb recipe. If you don't follow a keto-friendly diet, 1 teaspoon of light brown sugar can be added to the spice rub for sweetness. That pairs well with the spice in the chicken rub.
Air Fryer Instructions:
If you prefer to air fry the chicken wings, preheat the air fryer to 375°F, place the wings in the air fryer basket. Air fry for 20 minutes, check the internal temperature of the wings. Fully cooked, the wings should be at 165°F.
Canola Oil - A vegetable spray on the wings can be used in lieu of canola oil.
🥣 Serving Suggestions
Here are some of my favorite dipping sauces:
- Homemade blue cheese dressing , honey mustard sauce, and ranch dressing are great options to pair with the dry rubbed chicken wings.
- Jalapeno Popper Dip is spicy and zesty. A great choice for dipping wings.
- For a smooth cheesy dipping choice, try this Homemade Boursin Cheese.
For an easy side dish, keep it simple with this easy green beans recipe, crunchy and everyone will want more.
Roasted Asparagus with lemon is another quick side dish that would be fabulous along with the baked chicken wings.
Serve Roasted Red Potatoes on the side for a quick dinner option.
Air Fryer Bang Bang Cauliflower would be a great side dish for an amazing appetizer buffet.
🍽 Similar recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings with an Asian flair are another amazing wing recipe everyone will love.
- Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings are a great way to enjoy wings.
- Instant Pot Chicken Wings are a fantastic method to enjoy wings.
- Crispy Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings: my friends the wings are epically delicious! Enough said!
- Grilled Spicy Chicken Wings: A spicy grilled wing recipe that the family loves.
- Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce: You will love the flavors of this chicken, yum.
- Grilled Buffalo Chicken Wrap: a low-carb delicious lettuce wrap.
- Chick fil A Nuggets are a delicious recipe that everyone will love.
- When I am serving up appetizers, Air Fryer Crunchwrap Supremes would be great along side these wings.
Check out all our fantastic chicken recipes here.
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below.
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
Thank you for your continued support. I am forever grateful.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Dry Rubbed Chicken Wings
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil vegetable or avocado oil will work
- 2 pounds chicken wings, drums and wings either cut the wings yourself
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Make the Dry Rub
- In a small bowl mix together garlic powder, onion powder. black pepper, paprika, dry mustard, dried thyme, celery salt, and salt.
- If adding extra heat, add in the chili powder and cumin.
Prepare the chicken wings with the dry rub.
- In a large bowl, add the wings.
- Drizzle oil on the wings. Make sure the wings are well covered with the oil.
- Sprinkle the dry rub on the chicken wings.
- Use your hands to rub the dry rub all over the wings.
- Place the wings on a rack in a baking tray.
- Bake the wings in the preheated oven in the middle rack for about 40 - 45 minutes, until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F
- Serve with blue cheese dressing or your favorite dipping sauces