Enjoy Dry Rub Chicken Wings, seasoned with a savory blend of spices that are not too spicy yet have a zing of heat that is just billowing with flavor. The perfect treat for those who want a tasty treat without too much spice.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- Perfect for snacks, tailgate parties, game day, family dinners - we love bringing these along to potlucks!
- This is a savory dry rub that has the perfect amount of spices.
- The chicken wings are baked and the end result is amazing zesty wings with a crispy exterior and the most tender meat.
- Bake the wings at high heat so they get really crispy and crunchy.
- black pepper - a staple spice that adds a nice sharp flavor to the wings.
- celery salt - adds a nice subtle spice to the wings.
- dry mustard - balances the spicy flavors.
- garlic powder - a nice hearty flavor for the wings.
- onion powder - a sweet flavor to balance the paprika.
- paprika - a nice smoky spice.
- Kosher salt - a staple ingredient that adds flavor
- cumin - adds a nice level of flavor.
- chili powder - optional – if you prefer a little more spice
- ground thyme - optional -
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is an overview of the recipe. The full instructions are below in the recipe card.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Make your dry rub.
- Cut up your chicken wings.
- Season your chicken wings with the dry rub.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- When chicken wing temperature should be 165 degrees when done.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight covered container for up to 3 days.
This is a great make-ahead meal for our meal planners. If you have leftovers, they freeze really well. I use my food saver to freeze my wing. A durable freezer bag work too. Use within 4-5 months.
Expert Tip: Use a paper towel to dry off the wings before adding the spice rub to ensure the rub adheres to the wings.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, so the wings go into a hot oven.
- Use a baking sheet with a rack so the wings cook well all over.
- When placing wings on the rack, space the wings at least an inch apart so they cook evenly. If you have the time, place the rub on the chicken the night before and keep covered in the fridge overnight.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, absolutely. Make the chicken wings ahead of time. When ready to serve, reheat wings at 350 degrees for about 10-15 minutes till warmed through.
For dry rub wings, 400 works best in my oven. If you find your wings are not getting golden brown, raise oven temp to 425F.
Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature which should be 165 degrees according to foodsafety.gov.
Absolutely, I actually have also used this rub on pork and veggies too. It is great mixed into turkey and chicken burgers too.
Dipping Sauce Ideas:
Jalapeno Popper Dip – having a party, these pair well on the wings.
Homemade Boursin Cheese – a great cheese dip and feel free to dip the wings into the cheese.
Beer Cheese Dip - melted cheese goes with everything!
Add a teaspoon of Italian Seasoning for a nice addition of flavor.
Try a teaspoon of Herbes de Provence for a different herb flavor.
Use a teaspoon of my Homemade Cajun Spice Blend, for a cajun flavor.
Brussels Sprouts: one of my personal favorites. Low-carb and delish!
Roasted Asparagus: Another yummy side dish that's also low-carb.
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings with an Asian flair are another amazing wing recipe that everyone will love.
- Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings are a great way to enjoy wings.
- Instant Pot Chicken Wings are a fantastic method to enjoy wings.
- Crispy Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings: my friends the wings are epically delicious! Enough said!
- Grilled Spicy Chicken Wings: A spicy grilled wing recipe that the family loves.
- Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce: You will love the flavors of this chicken, yum.
- Grilled Buffalo Chicken Wrap: a low-carb delicious lettuce wrap.
The form you have selected does not exist.
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below.
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
Thank you for the continued support. I am forever grateful.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The recipe was originally published on August 29, 2019, updated on February 11, 2022, for user experience.
Dry Rubbed Chicken Wings
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil vegetable or avocado oil will work
- 2 pounds chicken wings, drums and wings either cut the wings yourself
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Make the Dry Rub
- In a small bowl mix together garlic powder, onion powder. black pepper, paprika, dry mustard, dried thyme, celery salt, and salt.
- If adding extra heat, add in the chili powder and cumin.
Prepare the chicken wings with the dry rub.
- In a large bowl, add the wings.
- Drizzle oil on the wings. Make sure the wings are well covered with the oil.
- Sprinkle the dry rub on the chicken wings.
- Use your hands to rub the dry rub all over the wings.
- Place the wings on a rack in a baking tray.
- Bake the wings in the preheated oven in the middle rack for about 40 - 45 minutes, until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F
- Serve with blue cheese dressing or your favorite dipping sauces