Homemade Cocktail Sauce, tangy and spicy and ready in about 2 minutes with just 4 ingredients. Our mouthwatering dip has no preservatives and its perfect to pair with freshly poached shrimp, seafood, and so much more!
We live busy lives and making everything from scratch isn’t always possible or necessary. In a pinch, I can buy a tasty bottle of BBQ sauce instead of using my favorite homemade chipotle BBQ sauce. However, there is always that however, when it comes to cocktail sauce, my friends, please make your own.
I hope you take advantage of making this mouthwatering sauce for all your shrimp platters and any seafood recipes, it’s easy and so delicous.
How long can I keep the sauce keep in the fridge?
Well covered, the cocktail sauce can keep in the fridge for a week.
What can I pair with cocktail sauce?
- Poached Shrimp: The classic poached shrimp platter that is ridiculously expensive is easy to make at home for 1/4 the price of a store made platter.
- Coconut Shrimp:
- Grilled Shrimp
- Baked Flounder
- Fish and chips
Some of my other favorite sauces are:
Blueberry Chipotle BBQ Sauce: A BBQ sauce with the perfect blend of sweet and spicy.
Honey Mustard Sauce: Another sauce with just a few ingredients that tastes amazing.
Tzatziki Sauce: A delicious homemade sauce to enjoy with gyros or veggies.
Is this sauce keto?
I know many of you follow a low-carb or keto diet. For you, be sure to look at your labels and use low-sugar ketchup.
Where did cocktail sauce originate?
From my research, the cocktail sauce became popular during prohibition and the ban on alcohol. Shrimp and sauce were served in cocktail glasses. This appetizer also was extremely popular in Britain in the 1960s.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
What can I substitute for horseradish in the cocktail sauce?
Personally, I love and always use horseradish! I do know a few people who have an allergy to horseradish. If that is the case, wasabi or hot mustard such as Coleman’s Mustard works well!
Ingredients to make an amazing homemade cocktail sauce:
- Ketchup: For keto, use sugar-free ketchup. For a non-diet recipe use regular ketchup
- Grated HorseradishThis is a favorite grated horseradish. Make sure you are not using a horseradish cream. Two different things.
- Worcestershire Sauce: If you are Gluten-free, this is a great one to use!
Tag me on Instagram with @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen.
I love any comments or questions, please leave below
I HOPE YOU CONTINUE CONNECTING WITH ME
Stay up to date on all recipes! Follow me on:
Love this recipe, I would very much appreciate it if you give it a 5-star rating and share any comments or questions below!
Homemade Cocktail Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup see note 1
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons grated Horseradish see note 2
- 2-3 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
- In a medium bowl, combine ketchup, lemon juice, grated horseradish, and Worcestershire Sauce. Mix well. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Serve with poached shrimp, baked fish, add to burgers. Keep well covered in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation and actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and portion sizes.