You are going to love this Hard Pretzel Recipe! The pretzels are crunchy and flavorful. To make them one step better, they are topped with Everything Bagel Seasoning. Don't forget to make some Beer Cheese Dip with these homemade pretzels.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- Homemade hard pretzels taste so much better than any store made brand.
- The pretzels are golden brown, crispy, and crunchy. Always a hit!
- These are one of the most popular game day snacks. A great make ahead treat.
- This is a simple dough with the most tasty results.
- Whole Milk
- Unsalted Butter
- Active Dry Yeast
- Light Brown Sugar
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Everything Bagel Seasoning
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1.5 Quart Saucepan
- Instant Read Thermometer
- Mixing Bowls
- Rimmed Baking Tray
- Large Stock Pot
- Pastry Brush
This is an overview of the recipe. The full instructions are below in the recipe card.
Step 1: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the milk and 2 Tablespoons of butter. Heat to a temperature of 125°F (hot but not boiling) and remove from heat.
Step 2: Stir the yeast and brown sugar into the milk mixture and let proof for up to 5 minutes.
Step 3: Pour the milk mixture into a large bowl and stir in flour (with a spoon or with your hands).
Step 4: Place the dough in the bowl of a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment and medium speed for 5 minutes. Or use your hands to knead the dough for 5 minutes.
Then place dough in a lightly greased bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a towel, and place it in a warm spot in your kitchen.
Step 5: After an hour, the dough should be doubled.
Step 6: Punch down and divide into 8 even balls.
Step 7: Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a large baking sheet and set it aside.
Step 8: Make a baking soda solution by placing 8 cups of water and the baking soda in a large stockpot. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat.
Step 9: To shape the dough into pretzels, roll each segment into 1" thick ropes. Form the rope into a U-shape, then take both ends and twist twice at the top. Invert the twisted edges to the bottom of the U-shape and press dough together to secure.
Step 10: Use a slotted spoon to place the formed pretzels into the boiling water and boil for 2 minutes.
Step 10: Transfer the pretzels from the boiling water to the prepared baking sheet.
Step 11: Combine the egg and 1 teaspoon water and brush over the dough. Top with everything bagel seasoning.
Step 12: Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350°F for the remaining 10-12 minutes. Pretzels will be golden brown and hard. Let cool and serve
Store the pretzels in an airtight covered container in your pantry or on a shelf for up to 1 week.
Expert Tip: For optimum results, always check the expiration dates on the ingredients, especially the yeast and baking soda.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. Boiling the pretzels before baking allows a nice crust to be formed on the pretzels. Do not miss this step for the best baked pretzels.
Proofing the yeast is allowing the yeast and liquid blend for a few minutes. There will be small bubbles forming which lets you know the yeast is alive and blooming in the liquid.
If the mixture does not bubble, the yeast is dead and I highly suggest using new yeast and starting again.
- After the pretzels come out of the oven, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with some cinnamon sugar.
- In lieu of using the bagel seasoning, use coarse salt or pretzel salt.
- If making the shape of a pretzel is too much, make pretzel logs.
- Homemade seasoning salt and Cajun seasoning are both delicious on the baked pretzels.
- Homemade cheese sauce is always a treat.
- Everything Bagel dip is another great dipping idea.
- Instant Pot Hummus would be delicious with these pretzels.
- Some other tasty snacks you should try are our crispy and crunchy Air Fryer Cheez-Itz.
- Parmesan Garlic Kale Chips are another tasty snack for all to enjoy.
- Spicy Baked Fries are another great snack for all.
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below.
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
Thank you for the continued support. I am forever grateful.
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Homemade Hard Pretzel Recipe
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 Tablespoon unsalted butter, divided
- 2 ¼ teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 Tablespoon light brown sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon water
- ½ cup baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tablespoon Everything Bagel Seasoning
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the milk and 2 Tablespoons of butter. Heat the mixture to 125°F (hot but not boiling) and remove from heat.
- Stir the yeast and brown sugar into the milk mixture. Let it proof for 5 minutes.
- Pour the milk mixture into a large mixing bowl. Stir in flour (with a wooden spoon or with your hands)
- Knead for 5 minutes, and then cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a towel. Place in a warm spot in your kitchen.
- After an hour, the dough should be doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough and divide the dough into 8 even balls.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large stockpot, add in 8 cups of water and the baking soda. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat.
- While the water comes to a boil, shape the pieces of dough. To shape dough into pretzels, roll each segment into 1" thick ropes. Form the rope into a U-shape, then take both ends and twist twice at the top. Invert the twisted edges to the bottom of the U-shape and press dough together to secure.
- Use a slotted spoon to carefully transfer the dough into the water bath. Let boil for 2 minutes.
- Again, use the slotted spoon to lift the pretzels from the large pot. Allow excess water to drip back into the pot. Place boiled pretzels on a lined or greased cookie sheet.
- Whisk together the egg, and 1 teaspoon water. Brush the egg wash over the baked pretzels. Sprinkle the pretzels with everything bagel seasoning.
- Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes. The pretzels will begin to brown.
- Then reduce heat to 350°F for the remaining 10-12 minutes. Bagels will be golden brown and begin to harden.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Let cool. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce