Strawberry Pretzel Pie is an unbelievably delicious dessert that combines both salty and sweet to make and tasty treat that some call a pie and some call a salad! I call it I must eat now! I keep the calories down by using both low-fat cream cheese and whipped topping! This is a fabulous dessert that is always requested by my family and friends! #NationalPretzelDay
The best strawberry pretzel pie recipe is one that I had many years ago at a picnic at a friends place in Texas. I was invited to a family party when I was a flight attendant and I fell in love with this pretzel salad recipe. I loved that there is everything in this yummy strawberry pretzel salad which is really a dessert! The salty pretzel bottom is its own slice of deliciousness and can a dessert on its own. Then there is a yummy no-bake cheesecake center! This is all topped with a combo of strawberry jello and strawberries – yes me – jello, I know, there are those recipes that I must have jello involved and this is one major recipe! I remember that first bite like it was yesterday! Super delicious!
Is this a strawberry pretzel dessert recipe or a strawberry pretzel salad recipe?
According to my Texas friends who first shared this amazing “dessert” with me, the origins of this salad came from a time where Jello was used a lot in recipes and they were called salads. Not to date myself, but who cares as I love life and every day is a great day to wake up…back to jello. I do agree, as a child in the 70’s, we had all sorts recipes where jello was involved. I am so glad this tasty recipe has persevered. Call it whatever you want, just make sure you make it and enjoy!
Can this pie be made ahead and how long can I keep this strawberry pretzel pie in the refrigerator?
I generally make this pie a day ahead of eating it and keep in the fridge. I don’t have a lot of experience with leftover strawberry pie but this is really best eaten within 1 day after making it. I doubt you will have too many leftovers.
What alternatives to the low-fat cream cheese, fat-free whip topping, and frozen strawberries can be used without substituting flavor for this strawberry pretzel dessert recipe?
I try to cook the lowest amount of fat and calories without sacrificing flavor. The recipe as written works for me. I prefer using True Whip Topping for its natural ingredient. Low-fat whipped topping can be used. Full fat whipped topping also works. As does full fat cream cheese. I saw no difference with either.
Tips to make The Best Strawberry Pretzel Pie:
- The bottom pretzel layer should have the pretzel chopped but not crumbles. You want a crunchier crust.
- It is imperative to completely cool each layer before adding another layer.
- To ensure a crispy pretzel crust make sure the cream cheese layer completely covers the pretzel crust so the jello layer does not seep through to the crust
- After making the cream cheese layer and have topped the pretzel layer, refrigerate for at least 30 – 60 minutes before adding the strawberry jello layer.
- Once the strawberry and jello layer is added, refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- This is a salad that is best served on the day made or make evening before and serve next day. ai love to serve the straw
How To Make The Best Strawberry Pretzel Pie:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Crush pretzels in a plastic bag, not too small, coarse pieces of pretzels.
- Combine with sugar and melted butter.
- Place the pretzel crust into the bottom of a 13 x 9 pie crust.
- Bake the crust for about minutes. Remove, set crust aside to cool.
- Mix the cream cheese, sugar whipped topping together.
- Spread onto the cooled pretzel crust and place pan in the fridge to set the cheese mixture. * It is very important to spread the cream cheese mixture over the entire pretzel crust. This will ensure that the jello layer will not seep through and make a soggy crust! Keep chilled until ready to add jello layer, at least 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, add the strawberry jello and hot water, dissolve jello. Add the sliced frozen strawberries and let set about 10 minutes. If using fresh strawberries, place in the fridge for about 15 minutes.
- Cover the chilled cream cheese crust with the jello topping.Place in the fridge for at least 40 minutes.
- Once the pretzel salad recipe/strawberry pretzel dessert recipe has chilled serve to your guests. This dessert is best either same day or a day before. Any longer and the pretzel crust will get soggy. NOTE: I never have leftovers with this strawberry pretzel dessert. I had to make it and hide from my family to see how long the ingredients can last. Not an easy job.
Today is #NationalPretzelDay and I am happy to celebrate awesome pretzel recipes with some of my favorite bloggers. This event is hosted by Camilla from Culinary Adventures with Camille. Enjoy these other delicious recipes that are celebrating #NationalPretzelDay
When you make this recipe for strawberry pretzel pie recipe, take a pic and tag me on Instagram @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen
I love any comments or questions below!
I HOPE YOU CONTINUE CONNECTING WITH ME:
Are you loving this strawberry pretzel pie recipe, giving it a 5-star rating and any comments is super helpful for me and very much appreciated!
Strawberry Pretzel Pie
A perfect dessert to bring to any potluck, bbq, picnic or family gathering. This salty/sweet dessert is always a hit with family and friends.
- 2 cups crushed pretzel see notes
- 1 1/4 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
No-Bake Cheesecake Center
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 12 ounces whipped topping, thawed see note
- 6 ounce strawberry Jello see note
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 pound sliced strawberries, frozen see note
How to Make the Pretzel Crust
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Combine the crushed pretzels and melted butter together. Press into a 9 x 13-inch pie pan. Place in the preheated oven for 8 minutes. Pretzel crust should be cooked all the way through. If not cooked through, bake another 1 -2 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
How To Make Cream Cheese Filling
In a medium bowl add the low-fat cream cheese and sugar. Use a hand mixer to combine the ingredients. Add in the whipped topping and mix to combine. Once combined, spread over the pretzel crust. Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to chill ingredients.
How To Make Strawberry Jello Topping
In a medium bowl, add the jello and hot water. Stir to dissolve the Jello. Add the frozen strawberries and let sit for about 10 minutes. Pour the strawberry jello over the cream cheese mixture. Place pie in the refrigerator chill and set strawberry jello topping. At least 45 minutes
Slice and serve.
- The key to this pie is to ensure each layer is completely cooled before adding the next layer.
- Full fat cream cheese can be used for this recipe.
- Use sweetener of choice. I use white sugar in this particular recipe. Feel free to substitute Truvia.
- In this recipe, I use sugar-free Jello but regular Jello can be used.
- I tend to use True Whip topping as the ingredients are healthier. Any whipped topping of your choice can be used.
- If serving outdoors, I place the pie pan on a tray of ice to keep these ingredients cool.
- This pie is best eaten on the day it is made or following day.
- If using freshly sliced strawberries, place the Jello mixture in the fridge to cool for about 15 minutes to be jiggly but not set before pouring on the cream cheese mixture.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation and actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and proportion sizes.
Save to make this yummy Strawberry Pretzel pie anytime:
Looking for even more delicious strawberry treats, try these from some of my favorite food blogs:
Strawberry Kiwi Popsicles from Beyond the Chicken Coop
Strawberry Cheesecake Cookie Cups from Liv for Cake