These classic Cherry Whipped Shortbread Cookies are crunchy, buttery, and scrumptious! Just 5 simple ingredients make these cookies so easy to make from a beginner baker to the most advanced.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- The whipped shortbread are simple to make and a classic delicious cookie.
- Any holiday cookie tray will benefit from the yumminess in these tasty treats.
- The shortbread are such tender cookies that are a perfect addition to Christmas baking, cookie exchanges.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is an overview of the recipe. The full instructions are below in the recipe card.
The recipe makes 35-40 cookies.
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking sheets. Set aside.
Step 2: In a large mixing bowl, using a hand mixer, or the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachments, beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy, about 2 minutes.
Step 3: Beat in vanilla extract. Then slowly fold in the flour until just incorporated.
Step 4: Use a cookie scoop to portion out the dough on the prepared baking sheets, about 1" apart.
Step 5: Use an inverted teaspoon to press down on the cookies.
Step 6: Flatten them and make a small dip in the center of each cookie.
Step 7: Press a maraschino cherry securely into the indent on each shortbread.
Step 8: Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden brown.
Cool on the baking sheets for about 5 minutes. Then move to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
The cookies can be kept in an airtight covered container on your counter for about 4-5 days.
If you refrigerate the cookies in an airtight covered container, they can keep 7-8 days.
Freezing - These are an easy cookie recipe to make ahead and freeze for up to 3 months. Remove from the refrigerator and allow them to defrost in the refrigerator until thawed.
Expert Tip: Be sure the butter is at room temperature, not too soft , otherwise your cookies may be flat.
Frequently Asked Questions
Shortbread is a butter-based cookie while shortcakes are crumbly cakes that are usually served with fruit.
Shortbread cookies for the most part do not have eggs as an ingredient because they would cause the cookie to rise too much. Eggs are also a tenderizer so the cookie would lose the airy texture.
If you do not love cherries, don't use them. Before baking, leave the cookies plain and use a fork to make an imprint on the top of the cookies. Then sprinkle with Holiday sprinkles.
Candied cherries can also be used in this cookie.
For a twist, swap the vanilla extract for either lemon extract or almond extract.
Besides a nice cold glass of milk, a hot caramel macchiato would be a fantastic pairing with these whipped shortbread cookies.
Over 21, enjoy a festive Irish Coffee, my Dad's recipe.
A holiday dessert table should have these fun Grinch Cupcakes.
Another favorite is our Holiday Sugar Cookie Cake, it is so versatile, change the sprinkles for any holiday or birthday you are celebrating.
A super popular recipe we love not just during the holiday season is our Pecan Sandies. They are melt in your mouth delicious!
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below.
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
Thank you for the continued support. I am forever grateful.
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Whipped Shortbread Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking sheets. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using a hand mixer or use a standing mixer with paddle attachments, beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Use a cookie scoop to portion out the dough on the prepared cookie sheets, about 1" apart.
- Use an inverted teaspoon to press down on the cookies, flattening them and making a small dip in the center of each cookie.
- Press a maraschino cherry securely into the indent on each shortbread.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- Cool on the cookie sheet for about 15 minutes.