Ready for seriously the Best Homemade Pimento Cheese Dip ever? Always, always a hit at our parties! A delicious blend of cream cheese, sharp cheddar, Colby jack cheese, and of course pimentos make an amazing dip! We love making pimento cheese to serve as a dip with crackers! Keep it low-carb and serve with veggies like celery and peppers. These make amazing pimento cheese sandwiches, yum! A perfect way to celebrate #nationalcheeseday!
I love taking a recipe I love and remake it with lighter flavors. That is exactly what I did with this yummo homemade pimento cheese dip. By using light mayo and low-fat cheese, the pimento cheese spread still has amazing flavors yet not completely loaded down with calories. To everyone’s surprise, this dip uses low-fat ingredients. This is one of my favorite dip recipes. I love cutting up veggies and use pimento cheese to dip my veggies! An awesome keto, low-carb, gluten-free snack!
It is National Cheese Day, and let me tell you, cheese is my weakness! When I made my life change a few years ago, one of the things I could never give up is cheese. I always use low-fat cheese, rarely do I use fat-free because I do not love the flavor.
In my early 20’s, when I was a flight attendant, I was in Atlanta for a layover. I often ask the servers what they recommend because obviously, they know their menu. If you have never done that, please do, you will enjoy awesome food! So my server recommended the pimento cheese dip and holy moly was he right, absolutely delicious! I was hooked!
For some odd reason, I didn’t make pimento cheese for a long time, queue sad face because that was a silly choice on my part! Then, something fabulous happened, our oldest daughter got an internship in South Carolina. On one of our daily phone calls, she thanked me for teaching her how to make pimento cheese dip because she had it at a restaurant and is now making it regularly for her roommates.
I had that aha moment. It had been way too long since I had made Homemade Pimento Cheese Dip, and that was about to change! Call me crazy, but I hear angels sing every time I say Homemade Pimento Cheese Dip!
Q and A about Homemade Pimento Cheese Dip
When making Homemade Pimento Cheese Dip, what exactly is a pimento?
Pimentos are a pepper. They are sweet and can be grown in your garden. The Spruce Eats has a great article about pimentos and tips to grow at home.
What can be used in lieu of pimentos in pimento cheese if you cannot find pimentos?
Pimentos are pretty easy to find but in a bind, roasted red peppers can be used to replace pimentos.
Pimento Cheese Spread is a favorite Southern Dish, but guess where it originated?
Surprise, surprise, Pimento Cheese Spread originated in New York! I know, who knew! I always tell my gf, who grew up in the South, come on over, I’m making our favorite Southern Dip today! When I told her about its origins, she was a shocked as I was! However, guess what, Pimento Cheese is amazing, and we don’t care and where it was made because it’s just so darn good. Serious Eats has the whole pimento history! Yes, pimentos have a history.
How long can Homemade Pimento Cheese Dip be kept in the fridge?
Keep pimento cheese in the fridge for about a week. I do not freeze mine so I cannot speak on that but I don’t recommend freezing as the ingredients may separate in the defrost process.
What is a Pimento Cheese Sandwich?
Pimento Cheese Sandwich is the most amazing sandwich ever. These sandwiches are classically made on white bread. However, I love pimento cheese on pumpernickel bread. I cut the crust off the bread and serve these at brunch, lunch, or tea. Cut the crusts, if feeling fancy. Spread the pimento cheese on the bread, top with another slice of bread. Slice into fourths and your guests will love it. I bring these to wedding and baby showers, great finger food!
Give Pimento Cheese Spread as a hostess gift for any party:
As I mentioned, today is National Cheese Day and I am celebrating with some of my favorite food bloggers! Thank you so much to Camille, who runs Culinary Adventures with Camille for hosting this wonderful event! I cannot wait to begin making these amazing cheesy recipes. My biggest dilemma is where to begin, they are all amazing!
Check out these amazing recipes from those celebrating #nationalcheeseday with me:
- Carlee from Cooking with Carlee: Bacon Bruschetta Cheese Ball
- Cindy from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings: Beefy Bacon Mac and Cheese
- Camilla from Culinary Adventures with Camilla: Cheese, Please!
- Jolene from Jolene’s Recipe Journal: Cheesy Black Bean Nachos
- Karen from Karen’s Kitchen Stories: Dill and Cheddar Sourdough Bread
- Sue from Palatable Pastime: Hasselback Salad Caprese
- Coleen from The Redhead Baker: Honey, Basil, and Peach Baked Brie
- Wendy from A Day in the Life on the Farm: Philly Cheesesteak Burgers
- Eileen from Everyday Eileen: Pimento Cheese Dip
- Amy of Amy’s Cooking Adventures: Tuscan Roma Pizza
How to Make Homemade Pimento Cheese Dip:
- In a mixer bowl, use the paddle, add the cream cheese, mayo, and minced garlic and onion powder.
- Blend for about 1 minute.
- Add the chopped pimentos, Sriracha or hot sauce, onion powder, Worcheshire Sauce
- Blend for about 1 minute.
- Add the shredded sharp cheddar cheese and Colby jack cheese. Blend for about 2 minutes.
- Ready to serve with crackers, veggies, burger topping, pimento cheese sandwich, endless possibilities!
When you make this yummy easy chipotle BBQ sauce, take a pic and tag me on Instagram @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen
I love any comments or questions below!
I HOPE YOU CONTINUE CONNECTING WITH ME:
Are you loving this tasty easy barbecue sauce, giving it a 5-star rating and any comments are super helpful for me and very much appreciated!
The Best Homemade Pimento Cheese Dip
Pimento Cheese Dip is a delicious cheese dip that is perfect with crackers and veggies. Pimento cheese awesome as a spread for tea sandwiches. This recipe uses light mayo and low-calorie cheeses to keep the calories lower and still makes a tasty dip that is always a hit!5
- 8 ounce block 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 3 Tablespoon light Mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 4 ounce jar pimentos, drained and dried
- 3-4 dashes Sriracha or hot sauce adjust heat to your palate
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
- 8 ounce block low-fat Extra Sharp Cheddar cheese
- 8 ounce block low-fat Colby Jack cheese
Using either a food processor with the shredder attachment or manually shred the cheddar and Colby jack cheese and set aside.
Use the paddle attachment, add to the mixer bowl add the light cream cheese, light mayonnaise, and chopped garlic. Blend for about 1 minute. If using a hand mixer, use the beaters and continue with recipe.
Add to the mixer bowl, the pimentos, Sriracha, onion powder, and Worcestershire Sauce. Blend for about 30 seconds.
Add the shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese and Colby Jack cheese. Combine for about 2 minutes. Pimento Dip will be well blended.
Serve with crackers, veggies, burger toppings, Pimento cheese sandwiches, endless possibilities.
- Take the time to use the block of cheese and shred it yourself. Pre-shredded cheese does not provide the same flavor for this recipe.
- Take the time to drain and dry off the pimentos before adding to the mixing bowl. Excess water is not pretty in any recipe :).
- I do prefer low-fat cheese, however, full-fat cheese can be used.
- Pimento Cheese Dip can be store well covered in the fridge for about 1 - 1 1/2 weeks.
- I do not freeze Pimento Cheese Dip. So I cannot speak to whether or not it can freeze well. I think the mayo and cheese would separate.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation. Actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and portion sizes.