Homemade Pimento Cheese Dip, savory creamy, cheesy goodness with a kick of spice that seems so decadent yet it's actually made with lighter ingredients. A classic Southern delight that can be enjoyed on crackers, veggies, and sandwiches. So many possibilities. This goes fast - make a double batch, trust me! Always, always a hit!
I love taking a recipe and remaking it with lighter flavors. That is exactly what I did with this yummo dip. By using light mayo and low-fat cheese, the pimento cheese spread still has amazing flavors yet not completely loaded down with calories.
Pimento Cheese Dip
It is National Cheese Day, and let me tell you, cheese is my weakness! When I made my life change a few years ago, one of the things I could never give up, cheese.
In my early 20's, when I was a flight attendant, I was in Atlanta for a layover. I often ask the servers what they recommend because obviously, they know their menu. If you have never done that, please do, you will enjoy awesome food! So my server recommended the pimento cheese dip and holy moly was he right, absolutely delicious! I was hooked!
For some odd reason, I didn't make pimento cheese for a long time. Queue sad face because that was a silly choice on my part! Then, something fabulous happened, our oldest daughter got an internship in South Carolina.
On one of our daily phone calls, she thanked me for teaching her how to make pimento cheese dip because she had it at a restaurant and is now making it regularly for her roommates. I totally forgot I gave her the recipe.
I had that aha moment. It had been way too long since I had made this killer cheese dip, and that was about to change! Call me crazy, but I hear angels sing every time I say Pimento Cheese Dip!
Pimento Cheese Dip: FAQs
What is a pimento?
Pimentos are a pepper. They are sweet and can be grown in your garden.
What can I substitute for pimentos if I can't find them?
Pimentos are pretty easy to find, usually in the aisle with jarred pickles and roasted tomatoes. In a bind, use roasted red peppers.
Where did Pimento Cheese Spread originate?
Surprise, surprise, this cheese spread originated in New York! I know, who knew! Like most peope, I thought it was created in the South. I do love food history and regardless of its origin pimento cheese dip is just so darn good,I hope everyone makes it.
How long can the dip be kept in the fridge?
Keep pimento cheese in the fridge for about a week. I do not freeze mine so I cannot speak on that but I don't recommend freezing as the ingredients may separate in the defrost process.
What is a Pimento Cheese Sandwich?
Pimento Cheese Sandwich is the most amazing sandwich ever. These sandwiches are classically made on white bread. However, I love pimento cheese on pumpernickel bread. I cut the crust off the bread and serve these at brunch, lunch, or tea. Cut the crusts, if feeling fancy. Spread the cheese on the bread, top with another slice of bread. Slice into fourths and your guests will love it. I bring these to a wedding and baby showers, great finger food!
Give Homemade Pimento Cheese Spread as a hostess gift for any party:
Homemade Pimento Cheese Dip makes a great hostess gift! Bring along in a mason jar! Include a cute cheese spreader!
A few appetizers or snacks you can also enjoy:
Having a party, some other fun foods you can make along with Pimento Cheese Dip
Healthy Tuscan Bean Dip, Costco copycat dip that is great as a salad or a dip with chips! So easy and a no-cook bean dip!
Grilled Eggplant Caprese Salad A Caprese Salad to the next level. Grill the eggplant and drizzle Balsamic vinegar on the veggies and cheese. gluten-free, keto.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
I'd love for you to click over to shop the Everyday Eileen store on Amazon! Thank you so very much for being apart of Everyday Eileen!
Thank you so very much for being apart of Everyday Eileen!
Tools that you may need to make Pimento Cheese Dip:
Shell Cheese Spreader: Cute cheese spreaders. These have shell handles which I love the beach theme on the handle.
Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer:I have had my Kitchen Aid Mixer forever! Love it!
How to Make Homemade Pimento Cheese Dip:
- In a mixer bowl, use the paddle, add the cream cheese, mayo, and minced garlic and onion powder.
2. Blend for about 1 minute.
3. Add the chopped pimentos, Sriracha or hot sauce, onion powder, Worcheshire Sauce
4. Blend for about 1 minute.
5. Add the shredded sharp cheddar cheese and Colby jack cheese. Blend for about 2 minutes.
6. Ready to serve with crackers, veggies, burger topping, pimento cheese sandwich, and endless possibilities!
Give us a like on FACEBOOK
For great recipes and tips, follow along on Pinterest.
Thank you for always sharing my passion and love for food and family!
Are you loving this recipe, giving it a 5-star rating and any comments are super helpful for me and very much appreciated
The Best Homemade Pimento Cheese Dip
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 3 Tablespoon light Mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 4 ounce jar pimentos, drained and dried
- 3-4 dashes Sriracha or hot sauce adjust heat to your palate
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 3 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
- 8 ounces low-fat Extra Sharp Cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces low-fat Colby Jack cheese
- Using either a food processor with the shredder attachment or manually shred the cheddar and Colby jack cheese and set aside.
- Use the paddle attachment, add to the mixer bowl add the light cream cheese, light mayonnaise, and chopped garlic. Blend for about 1 minute. If using a hand mixer, use the beaters and continue with recipe.
- Add to the mixer bowl, the pimentos, Sriracha, onion powder, and Worcestershire Sauce. Blend for about 30 seconds.
- Add the shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese and Colby Jack cheese. Combine for about 2 minutes. Pimento Dip will be well blended.
- Serve with crackers, veggies, burger toppings, Pimento cheese sandwiches, endless possibilities.
- Take the time to use the block of cheese and shred it yourself. Pre-shredded cheese does not provide the same flavor for this recipe.
- Take the time to drain and dry off the pimentos before adding to the mixing bowl. Excess water is not pretty in any recipe :).
- I do prefer low-fat cheese, however, full-fat cheese can be used.
- Pimento Cheese Dip can be store well covered in the fridge for about 1 - 1 ½ weeks.
- I do not freeze Pimento Cheese Dip. So I cannot speak to whether or not it can freeze well. I think the mayo and cheese would separate.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation. Actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and portion sizes.