Baked pork chops with apples and sauerkraut is a delicious meal that is a family favorite! Easy to prepare and the pork is so tender it melts in your mouth! This is a family favorite in the comfort food category! Low- calorie, gluten-free and one pan! Can be made ahead and re-heated!
My favorite childhood dish is simply this recipe of pork chops, apples, and sauerkraut! My Mom would switch it up for my birthday dinner and a loin of pork! I’m a cheap date, pork chops, apples and sauerkraut equals one happy person! You lovely young ones may not remember the Brady Bunch, but this meal always reminds me of the shows episode of “pork chops and sauerkraut”. Ah, the memories, truly just a wonderful meal to warm me up on a fall or winter day! Really reminds me of my care free days as a child! This is my remember when, meal!! Okay enough of me already!
This is such an easy dish to prepare ahead of time. Just pop into the oven later that day or the next evening. Depending on the sales at the market, I will use either boneless pork or pork loin – it has no effect on flavor. The sweetness of the apple and apple juice combined with a bit of brown sugar and that gives the onions a caramelized flavor that is just wonderful!
Pair this with a little applesauce, albeit homemade or store-bought and some mashed cauliflower or potato and a veggie – yummy! I just need my fuzzy pj’s and slippers and I am set for the evening!
If you like this recipe, please share the love on Facebook, Pinterest, or your favorite way of relating to your friends and family, and please continue connecting with me on Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Bloglovin, Google Plus !
Thank you for always sharing my passion and love for food and family!
- 1 Tbls avocado oil
- 4 pork chops, trim any fat
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1 apple, cored, peeled, and chopped
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 Tbls brown sugar
- 2 pd sauerkraut, in a bag and drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Season both sides of the pork chops with salt and pepper to taste, and the garlic powder.
- In a saute pan over medium heat, add the avocado oil. Brown the pork chops on both sides, about 4 minutes per side. Set aside.
- In a casserole dish, combine the sliced onion, chopped apple, brown sugar, apple juice and drained sauerkraut together.
- Add the brown pork chops and combine so that the pork chops are somewhat covered with the sauerkraut and juices.
- Cover the casserole dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Pork chops should be tender and no longer pink.