Our Chocolate Sandwich Cake Mix Cookies are the perfect blend of sweet and creamy. The combination of a rich chocolate cookie made with Devil's Food Cake Mix and a creamy peppermint filling is the ultimate treat for any occasion.
This recipe is easy to make and incredibly delicious, so you can be sure everyone will love it! Enjoy these cookies with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee for an extra special treat.
Looking for specifics on the recipe? Use the table of contents to click on sections of the recipe.
- ❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- 🧾 Ingredient List
- 🍲 Equipment
- 🔪 Instructions
- Chocolate Sandwich Cake Mix Cookie Steps
- How to make peppermint cream filling
- Assemble the sandwich cookie
- 👩🏻🍳 Eileen's Tips for Success
- 📖 Variations
- ❄️ Make ahead, storage, and freezer tips
- 📋 Frequently Asked Questions
- 🥣 Serving Suggestions
- 🍽 Similar recipes
- 📖 Recipe
- 💬 Comments
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- These perfect cake mix cookies are festive, rich, and easy to make.
- These sandwich cookies will make a chocolate lover's dreams come true as they are decadently delicious.
- The peppermint cream cheese filling compliments the chocolate sandwich cake mix cookies.
- You only need simple ingredients so you don't have to worry about spending a lot of money at the grocery store.
🧾 Ingredient List
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- devil’s food chocolate cake mix
- unsalted butter
- large eggs
Peppermint Cream Cheese filling Ingredients:
- confectioners' sugar
- vanilla extract
- cream cheese
- unsalted butter
- candy canes
- Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls
- Measuring Spoons and Cups
- Stand Mixer
- Hand Mixer
- baking sheet
- Cooling Racks
This is an overview of the recipe. The full instructions are below in the recipe card.
Chocolate Sandwich Cake Mix Cookie Steps
Step 1: In a large mixing bowl add cake mix, butter, and eggs.
Step 2: Beat on medium speed until combined, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Step 3: Scoop into balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Step 4: Make sure that your cookie dough balls are spaced at least 1 inch apart.
Step 5: Bake in a 375 degree preheated oven for 7-10 minutes, until slightly cracked on top.
Step 6:Remove the cookies from the oven and cool for 10 minutes before moving them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
While the cookies are cooling crush the candy canes and set aside.
How to make peppermint cream filling
Step 7: In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla extract until combined, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Step 8: To the cream cheese mixture, add confectioners' sugar and beat until light and fluffy, another 1 to 2 minutes.
Assemble the sandwich cookie
Step 9: Use an ice cream scoop or spoon to place a scoop of frosting on top of a cookie use a second cookie to flatten the scoop slightly.
Step 10: Roll the edges in crushed peppermint candies. Repeat until all cookies are finished.
👩🏻🍳 Eileen's Tips for Success
- Please use room-temperature ingredients for the peppermint cream cheese frosting. This will give you a nice fluffy frosting.
- Don't have a cookie scoop or ice cream scoop on hand? You can use a piping bag to add the filling instead.
- Make you add the filling to completely cooled cookies otherwise it may start to melt and become runny.
Do you want to change up this recipe? Here are some ways that you increase the flavor of this dish.
- Want to make a chocolate filling? Add ⅓ cup of cocoa powder to the filling ingredients. This will give you a light chocolate flavor.
- You can also make a peanut butter filling by adding ⅓ cup of creamy peanut butter to the ingredients.
- Instead of rolling your sandwich cookies in candy canes, you could also roll them in mini chocolate chips for even more chocolate.
- Not a fan of cream cheese frosting? You can use vanilla frosting or even marshmallow creme instead.
❄️ Make ahead, storage, and freezer tips
Storage - Store the cookies in an airtight container or on a plate wrapped with plastic wrap in the fridge for up to three days.
Make ahead - These cookies can be made ahead and enjoyed the next day. However, I don't recommend that you make them more than 24 hours in advance.
📋 Frequently Asked Questions
They are similar to homemade Oreos but they taste more like whoopie pies.
Yes, you can freeze the cookie dough or already-baked cookies in an airtight container for up to two months. Just make sure to wrap each cookie individually before freezing. To thaw, place the frozen cookies on a tray at room temperature until softened.
I used a stand mixer with a paddle attachment to mix these brownie sandwich cookies. However, you can add the batter to a large bowl and use a hand mixer or mix them by hand instead.
🥣 Serving Suggestions
- These chocolate cake mix sandwich cookies are great when served with a cold glass of milk or with this creamy Peppermint Cocktail.
- If your family loves peppermint you can serve these chocolate sandwich cookies another delicious peppermint dessert like this Chocolate Peppermint Cake.
- These cookies go great with your holiday meal, and this Baked Honey Glazed Ham is always the main dish that appears on our holiday dinner table.
🍽 Similar recipes
- This Chocolate Candy Cane Cake is one of my favorite dessert recipes to make for Christmas parties. Not only is it beautiful but it's also rich, creamy, and oh so sweet. You can't go wrong with this recipe.
- Do you love peppermint cookie recipes? If so, you may also enjoy these Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies. They are rich, chewy, and perfect for the holiday season
- Are you looking for the perfect cookie recipe to make your holiday cut-out cookies this year? Check out this No-Chill Cookie Recipe. It's super simple and turns out great every time you make them.
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below.
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
Thank you for your continued support. I am forever grateful.
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Chocolate Peppermint Sandwich Cookies
- 1(15.25) ounce box, devil’s food chocolate cake mix
- 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 large eggs
To make chocolate sandwich cookies
- Preheat oven to 375°F/190C. In a small mixing bowl, add the crushed peppermint candies and set aside until ready to decorate the cookies.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer with beaters attached, or a stand mixer with paddle attachment, add cake mix, butter, and eggs. Beat on medium speed until well combined, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Scoop the dough into 2-inch balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, until slightly cracked on top.
- Remove from oven and place on cooling rack. Let cool completely before adding the peppermint cream filling ( recipe below)
How to make peppermint cream filling
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer with beaters attached, or a stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream together the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla extract until combined, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- To the cream cheese mixture, add confectioners' sugar and beat until light and fluffy, another 1 to 2 minutes.
Assemble the chocolate cake mix sandwich cookies
- Use an ice cream scoop or spoon to place a scoop of frosting between 2 cookies and flatten slightly.
- Place a second cookie on top of the filling, flat side facing the cream filling.
- Roll the edges in crushed peppermint candies.
- Store the cookies in the refrigerator in an airtight covered container until ready to eat.