I have The Best Chicken Gyro Recipe for you today! The chicken is marinated in a seasoned yogurt that makes these chicken gyros absolutely mouth-watering! The chicken is grilled to perfection. Enjoy these Chicken Gyros in a whole wheat pita! Keto friends, savor your chicken over a Greek Salad or zoodles! Don’t forget to top it off with my homemade Lighter Greek Tzatziki Sauce! Delicious and low-carb options always make me happy!
We absolutely love Chicken Gyros! They are so easy to prepare! Whether it’s a weeknight meal, family party, BBQ, tailgate party, okay, anytime Chicken Gyros are awesome! I make a delicious Greek Chicken Salad and I have been known to use this marinade for that salad too!
Your days of ordering take-out Greek food will be minimal once you tasty Greek Gyros, they are epic!
I make this Chicken Gyro marinade often and use this chicken for meal prep for the week too! I have to say, this Greek yogurt marinade is also delicious on veggies! We make Gyro Salads, lettuce wraps, experiment with it and enjoy!
What is a Gyro?
Gyros are a Greek meal made with meat and served with tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, Tzatziki Sauce. Served on flatbread, usually pita bread.
What types of meat are best to make gyro recipes?
Traditionally, beef or chicken make awesome gyros. Lamb is very popular to make gyros. I prefer using boneless chicken breasts. For beef, sirloin, skirt, or flank are my favorite types of beef for gyros. i have used this same marinade on all these cuts of meat with great results.
Are gyros healthy to eat?
Lean chicken breasts and yogurt marinade are a healthy marinade to make healthy Chicken Gyros recipes.
What can I serve with this grilled chicken gyro recipe?
Chicken Gyros can be served with whole wheat pita bread, lettuce wraps, diced cucumbers, tomatoes, and of course Tzatziki Sauce!
Can you freeze grilled chicken gyro meat?
I love this recipe because it’s a great make-ahead meal. For a make-ahead option, grill the chicken and place into freezer safe bags. I make serving size portions to use later. Place frozen chicken gyro meat in the fridge the evening before making gyros. The chicken will defrost and be ready to use in the morning. Great for lunch prep!
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more!) Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Thank you so very much for being apart of Everyday Eileen!
Tools to make amazing Chicken Gyros:
TIPS TO MAKE JUICY GRILLED CHICKEN:
- Seasoning the chicken before grilling is imperative to layer flavor.
- Watch the chicken on the grill, flare-ups can burn the exterior of chicken.
- Chicken Breasts cook best at medium heat, prevents flare-ups.
- Chicken breasts can dry out, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature, white meat 160, dark meat 165.
You may also enjoy some other recipes like these:
How to make a delicious Grilled Chicken Gyro Marinade?
- To make the chicken gyro marinade, combine yogurt, dill, lime juice, garlic cloves, oregano, thyme, black pepper.
- Place the chicken in a plastic storage bag and cover with the marinade. Keep in the fridge at least one hour, up to overnight.
How To Make Grilled Chicken Gyros:
- When ready to grill, preheat grill or grill pan to high heat, around 475-500 degrees.
- Remove chicken from marinade and reduce grill heat to 425. Grill chicken about 5 minutes per side, the internal temperature should be 160 degrees.
- Serve the grilled chicken gyros on pita bread with diced tomatoes, cucumbers, and Tzatziki Sauce.
How to make Greek Chicken Gyros in the oven:
- To make Chicken Gyros in the oven, follow above steps 1 and 2. To use the broiler to make Chicken Gyros, preheat broiler.
- Remove chicken from marinade, discard marinade.
- Place chicken on baking sheet and place under the broiler for about 5-6 minutes per side.
- Follow step 3 above to service tasty Greek Chicken Gyros.
When you make these Homemade Greek Chicken Gyros, take a pic and tag me on Instagram @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen. We love seeing your recipes and I try to repost the pics.
I love any comments or questions below!
I HOPE YOU CONTINUE CONNECTING WITH ME:
Are you loving these delish Greek Chicken Gyros, giving it a 5-star rating and any comments are super helpful for me and very much appreciated!
Grilled Chicken Gyro Recipe
Grilled Chicken Gyros are a delicious meal for any night of the week and a great meal to feed a crowd too! Boneless chicken breasts marinated in Greek yogurt, lime, and seasoning that are grilled and served with diced tomatoes, cucumbers, Tzatziki Sauce, and Pita bread. A perfect meal for any night and a great crowd-pleasing meal.
Greek Chicken Gyro Marinade
- 1 1/2 pound chicken breast, boneless see note 1
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice approximately 1 medium lime
- 1 zest of a lime see note 2
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- salt, to taste
To Serve the Grilled Chicken Gyros
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and sliced
- 6 slices pita bread
- Tzatziki Sauce
To make the chicken gyro marinade
In a medium bowl, whisk together lime juice, lime zest, red wine vinegar, olive oil. Stir in minced garlic, oregano, thyme, black pepper, and salt. Combine well.
In a large plastic sealable bag, add in the chicken breasts. Add in the Greek chicken marinade. Close the bag and make sure all the chicken is covered well with the marinade. Refrigerate at least one hour, up to overnight.
To Grill Chicken Gyros
Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Remove chicken from marinade and discard the yogurt marinade.
Place the chicken on the grill. The chicken should sear and cook about 8 minutes for the first side. Flip chicken and grill another 4 minutes. see Note 6.
To serve Chicken Gyros
Remove chicken from grill, cover with aluminum foil and let cool for about 5 minutes. This lets juices set and the chicken will be juicy.
Slice the chicken into 1-inch slices. Serve on pita bread topped with diced tomatoes, cucumbers, and sliced red onion. Top all with Tzatziki Sauce.
Note 1: Trim chicken breasts of any fat. Pound chicken breasts to about 1 inch thick. If the chicken breasts are large, slice in half so the chicken cooks evenly.
Note 2: With the lime and lime zest, use 1 lime and use its juice and the zest of that lime for these gyros.
Note 3: The marinade for these Grilled Chicken Gyros is really flavorful. I prefer a longer marinade. I suggest making the marinade at night and keep the chicken in the marinade overnight for amazing flavor.
Note 4: I do not recommend freezing raw chicken in the marinade to defrost later because the yogurt will separate as everything defrosts.
Note 5: This is a great make ahead chicken recipe that freezes really well. I make a batch of chicken gyros. Slice the chicken and freeze to use on another day.
Note 6: To make grill marks on the chicken, crisscross chicken on the grill after about 4 minutes to make the sear marks. If the chicken sticks to the grill, let is grill another minute before crisscrossing.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation and actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and proportion sizes.
Pin this delicious Chicken Gyro Recipe to make any day here: