Salted Caramel Apple Pie is a delicious pie with a lot of different textures and flavors. Use either a homemade or store-bought pie cut and top the apple pie with a light and fluffy pretzel crust The topping adds a salty flavor which is nicely offset by the sweet caramel apple filling.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- Salted Caramel Apple Pie has a salty pretzel crust and sweet caramel apple filling which makes it the perfect combination of flavors.
- The best part about this pie is that if you are looking for something to serve to guests at Thanksgiving or another holiday dinner, it will be sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
- Salted Caramel Apple Pie is so easy to make and can be made ahead of time and stored for up to 3 days which makes it perfect for Thanksgiving or any other holiday dinner you may be hosting.
- The combination of salty and sweet makes for the most delicious pie you will ever taste.
- 9-inch ready-made pie crust or homemade pie crust
- Granny Smith apples
- Granulated sugar
- lemon juice
- all-purpose flour
- homemade salted caramel sauce or store-bought
- unsalted butter
- lukewarm water
- light brown sugar
- fast-acting dry yeast
- all-purpose flour
- unsalted butter
- Coarse sea salt
- egg yolk
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- large mixing bowls
- measuring cups and spoons
- rolling pin
- sharp knife or pastry cutter
- pastry brush
This is an overview of the recipe. The full instructions are below in the recipe card.
Step 1. Place the ready-made or homemade pie crust on the bottom of the pie plate. Set aside.
Step 2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together and add the sliced apples, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, flour, and salt.
Step 3: Mix apple pie filling and then fill the pie crust. Pour the caramel sauce over the top of the apple pie filling.
Pretzel Crust Topping
Step 1: In another large bowl, add lukewarm water, sugar, and yeast. Whisk to dissolve the yeast. Set aside for 5-10 minutes until the yeast becomes foamy.
Step 2: Add the flour, salt, and melted butter to the yeast mixture. Mix thoroughly until the pie dough forms.
Step 3: Use your hands to knead the dough for 8-10 minutes. Then, allow the dough to rise (double in size) which takes about an hour. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
Step 4: Roll out the pretzel dough on that surface to ½ inch thick, and 10 inches or more in length Cut the dough into strips measuring 1 inch in width and approx 10 inches in length
Step 5: Take 2 of the pretzel dough pieces and lay them next to each other. Pinch the end of the 2 dough slices together. Carefully twist the dough. Set the twisted dough to the side.
Step 6: Take the remaining dough slices and create a basket weave design on top of the pie. Lay the twisted pretzel dough on top of the filled pie.
Step 7: Make the egg wash by whisking the egg yolk and water together. Use a pastry brush to coat the pretzel crust. Sprinkle the crust with sea salt.
Step 8: Bake at 425°F for 55-60 minutes. (Or until the pretzel crust is browned and the apple filling bubbles around the lattice crust. Let cook about 10 minutes before serving.
Store leftover caramel apple pie in the fridge for up to four days. Be sure to keep your pie tightly covered with plastic wrap or foil.
To freeze, wrap tightly in plastic and store in a freezer bag for up to 2-3 months.
Let frozen pie thaw overnight in the fridge. Once thawed, you can heat it back up in an oven at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes or until the caramel apple pie filling is warm and bubbly again.
Expert Tip: If your crust starts to brown too much loosely cover the crust with aluminum foil to prevent your crust from burning.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, this pie is delicious without the pretzel crust too. Just make your pie crust and pour the apple filling on top. Then top with another store-bought pie crust for a delicious caramel apple pie.
You can substitute Golden Delicious or Jonagold Apples in place of the Granny Smith apples if you like.
You can make the caramel apple filling up to 3 days in advance and store it tightly covered in your fridge until you need to use it. You can also freeze your leftover filling for up to 2 months.
Yes. If you are short on time or just want to make this pie a little faster, feel free to substitute the salted caramel sauce for your favorite brand.
- For an extra festive pie, top with a few sprinkles of red and green sanding sugar before baking.
- Use our easy homemade apple pie spice blend in lieu of the spices in the recipe.
- Not a fan of caramel? Leave out the caramel and you will have a delicious apple pie with a pretzel crust.
- Can I make this pretzel crust gluten-free? Yes. Substitute your favorite all-purpose gluten-free flour in place of the plain white flour and you should be good to go!
There is nothing more comforting than a Turkey Pot Pie and then a slice of apple pie!
Marshmallow Sweet Potato Casserole is the perfect hearty side dish.
Chicken Crescent Rolls make for a great weeknight dinner.
Apple Pecan Salad is a fresh and easy side dish to go with your favorite meal.
If you love a warm cup of hot cocoa on a chilly fall day try this Instant Pot Hot Chocolate recipe.
These Apple Brownies have a delicious hint of cinnamon and the added crunch of pecans.
Gooey Chocolate Apple Cake is the perfect blend of rich chocolate and fresh apple flavor.
There is no better way to enjoy a cool fall morning than with these Baked Apple Cider Donuts.
Apple Blondies with a Whiskey Glaze are decadently delicious.
If you love caramel apple flavor then this adult Caramel Apple Cider Vodka beverage is one that you want to try soon.
The form you have selected does not exist.
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below.
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
FACEBOOK INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, TWITTER
Thank you for your continued support. I am forever grateful.
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Salted Caramel Apple Pie with Pretzel Crust
- As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
- 1 Ready-Made Pie Crusts Homemade Fluffy Pie Crust can also be used
Caramel Apple Pie Filling
- 6 large Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled, and sliced Note 1
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- ⅛ cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup jar, Salted Caramel Sauce or homemade caramel sauce
- 4 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cup lukewarm water
- 1 Tablespoon light brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 ¼ teaspoons fast-acting dry yeast
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- course sea salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
- Set one pie crust into the bottom pie crust. Keep in the refrigerator until ready to add the filling.
Salted Apple Pie Filling
- In a large mixing bowl, add the sliced apples, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, flour, and salt. Mix well.
- Remove the crust from the refrigerator. Fill the crust with the apple filling. Use a spatula to even out the filling in the crust.
- Pour the half cup of the caramel sauce over the top of the apple pie filling.
- Grease a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl, add lukewarm water, sugar, and yeast. Whisk to dissolve the yeast. Set aside for 5-10 minutes until the yeast becomes foamy.
- To the yeast mixture, add flour, salt, and melted butter. Mix thoroughly until the pie dough forms.
- Use your hands to knead the dough for 8-10 minutes or until the dough is smooth. Add the dough to the greased bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Move to a warm place. Allow the dough to rise (double in size) which takes about an hour. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Roll out the pretzel dough on the counter top, to ½ inch thick, and 10 inches or more in length Cut the dough into 1 inch in width and approx 10 inches in length
- Take 2 of the pretzel dough slices and lay them next to each other. Pinch the end of the 2 dough slices together. Carefully twist the dough. Set to the side.
- Take the remaining dough slices and create a basket weave design on top of the pie. Lay the twisted pretzel dough on top of the filled pie.
- Make the egg wash by whisking the egg yolk and water together. Use a pastry brush to coat the pretzel crust.
- Sprinkle the crust with sea salt.
- Bake at 425°F for 55-60 minutes, or until the pretzel crust is browned and the apple filling bubbles around the lattice crust.
- Leftovers can be stored for up to 4 days.
Leave a Reply