Slow cooker chicken enchilada soup, super flavorful and has the perfect amount of heat. The chicken slowly cooks and develops great flavor that's juicy and mouthwatering. All the ingredients go right into your slow-cooker. Turn it on and come home to an amazing dinner.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- This is a super easy soup with everything going right into the crockpot.
- An easy busy weeknight meal the whole family will love.
- Slow cooking the soup gives
- Boneless chicken breasts or chicken thighs is the base of the soup.
- Homemade enchilada sauce or store-bought sauce. No time, buy a can of enchilada sauce....no judging here!
- Diced tomatoes adds flavor to the soup.
- Yellow onions gives a sweet flavor to balance the tomatoes and spice.
- Garlic, always a flavor enhancer.
- Green chiles add a mild pepper flavor that adds texture to the soup.
- Chicken stock gives the liquid needed for the soup. Homemade chicken stock can be used.
- black beans - a fantastic addition of protein. Can use any type of your favorite bean.
- Corn gives a nice crunch to the soup.
- Cumin, a great spice for Mexican food.
- Salt and black pepper add another level of flavor.
- Favorite toppings: jalapeños, sour cream, shredded cheese, sliced avocado
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
This is an overview of the recipe. The full instructions are below in the recipe card
Step 1: Place chicken, enchilada sauce, onion, garlic, green chiles, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, chicken stock, into the slow cooker.
Step 2: Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
Step 3: Shred chicken and add back into the soup.
Step 4: Serve with shredded cheese, sliced jalapeños, sour cream, chopped cilantro and enjoy.
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave, following the manufacturers instructions. Or, reheat in a saucepan over medium
Expert Tip: Use low-sodium or sodium free chicken broth to reduce the salt intake.
- Set the crockpot on low 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
- Rinse the beans before you add them to the slow cooker to remove the liquid from the can.
Frequently Asked Questions
Feel free to make the soup up two days ahead of time. The soup can keep about 3 days in an airtight container in in the refrigerator. For specific information on food safety, refer to USDA food safety guidelines.
This soup is a great make-ahead soup and freezes really well. Store the soup in a freezer safe container or freezer bag for up to 4 months. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight and reheat in a soup pot over medium heat until hot.
Place all ingredients in a Dutch oven. Place the lid on the pot. Simmer for about 50 minutes. Once the chicken is cooked through to 165°F, shred the chicken and add back into the soup.
Yes. I would discard the skin since it releases fat into the broth. Once the soup is finished, remove the bones and discard them.
- For added creaminess, add some cream cheese at the end of cooking.
- Add some extra veggies like bell peppers for additional nutrition.
- Use your favorite beer or lager in lieu of chicken broth for a flavor twist.
Top with your favorite toppings such as a dollop of sour cream, avocado slices, jalapeños, and chopped cilantro.
A tasty Weight Watchers Poblano Caesar Salad would be delish.
How about a tasty chicken taco, pork carnitas, chicken taquito, chicken enchilada slider, or veggie burrito to pair with this delicious soup.
Easy Beef Enchiladas are another wonderful Mexican dinner to enjoy.
Mexican Shredded Beef is a fantastic meal with bold flavors for all to enjoy.
Our Frito Pie Recipe is another classic and delicious casserole that is always a hit
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below.
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
FACEBOOK INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, TWITTER
Thank you for the continued support. I am forever grateful.
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need. Don't forget that you can click on "add to collection" to save it to your own, private recipe box!
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
- 1 ½ pounds boneless chicken breast Note 1
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken stock Note 2
- 14 ounces homemade enchilada sauce or store made enchilada sauce Note 3
- 15 ounce can, black beans, drained and rinsed
- 14 ounce can, fire-roasted diced tomatoes include the juices regular diced tomatoes can be used
- 1 ½ cups frozen or canned corn Note 4
- 4 ounce can of chopped green chiles
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt iodized salt can also be used
- sour cream, optional garnish
- shredded Mexican cheese, optional
- sliced jalapeno, optional garnish
- fresh cilantro, optional garnish
- Into the vessel of a large slow cooker, add boneless chicken breast, chicken stock, enchilada sauce, black beans, diced tomatoes, corn, chopped green chiles, diced onion, minced garlic, cumin, black pepper, and salt.
- Cover and cook on LOW FOR 6 hours or HIGH for 3 hours.
- When cook time is complete. Chicken will be cooked through with an internal temperature of 165°F. Remove and shred the chicken.
- Remove the chicken and either shred or dice the chicken.
- Return chicken to the slow cooker. Taste the soup for seasoning. If needed, adjust any seasoning.
- Use a ladle to serve the soup into bowls. Garnish with your favorites such as sour cream, Remove and shred the chicken. slices, shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese, chopped cilantro.
Chicken Enchilada Soup Variations:
- For added creaminess, add 4 ounces of cream cheese at the end of cooking.
- Add some extra veggies like peppers, carrots, and zucchini.
- Use beer in lieu of chicken broth for a flavor twist.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation and actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and proportion sizes.
Loved your enchilada soup. Made it for Sunday football. It was a hit. Even better the next day for lunch. I’m not great in the kitchen but your step by step helps me a lot. I’ve made you Mexican beef too. Really good
Aw, Tim, you must be awesome in the kitchen. You followed my recipe and had a great soup. I hope you keep cooking. ny questions, send to me, I'm happy to help you continue to cook!
I have a can of enchilada sauce in the pantry! I might just have to make this over the weekend!
I love enchilada soup! The temperatures are starting to cool down which means I will be taking my slow cooker out to make this soon.
Enjoy Erin! We love this soup!
Liz @ Books n' Cooks
Slow Cooker Enchilada Soup is one of our favorite fall/winter dinners - and our recipe is very similar to yours. So flavorful and yet, still both EASY and HEALTHY.
Enchilada Soup is awesome!
This soup sounds sooooo tasty! Perfect for fall weather that is (maybe) coming!
I hope you enjoy! We eat this soup year round!
I can't wait for the first cool days of autumn to make this!
I hope you enjoy the soup!
My teen loves anything enchilada. Perfect weeknight meal.
I hope they enjoy the soup!
Hi, can you tell me when the corn goes in?
Whoops, sorry about that Cori. I have corrected the recipe instructions. The corn goes in with all the other ingredients at the beginning. In essence, this is a 'dump" everything into the slow cooker and let it do its thing! 🙂 Enjoy the recipe.
This looks super comforting! Ain't nothing like coming home after a long day and having a healthy dinner already waiting for you! I must give this a try! Oh and yes I too am already making pumpkin recipes lol
Thank you so much Gina! So glad you enjoy the soup recipe! I confess, today i am testing out some pumpkin recipes! Come back to enjoy them too 🙂
Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes)
This is absolutely pure comfort food!!
Thank you Jocelyn! This is my comfort food too!
Thank you Jocelyn. I hope you enjoy the soup!
We made your soup yesterday. Wow was it good. I made your enchilada sauce too. It was also great. I made extra and I’m freezing some. The kids went back to school so we already have a few freezer meals ready. Thanks for the recipe Eileen. It’s a good one. Perfect amount of spice
You made my weekend even better Kimberly. So glad you enjoyed the soup.