These Slow Cooker Grits are creamy, buttery, and full of Southern flavor. Grits are one of my favorite breakfast sides to make.
If your family loves a hot breakfast in the morning, then this simple recipe is for you. You can save room on the stovetop when you make these girls in the slow cooker instead.
Looking for specifics on the recipe? Use the table of contents to click on sections of the recipe.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- Crockpot grits are perfect for busy mornings when you want a hearty meal but don't have time to spend in the kitchen.
- By soaking girts overnight you guarantee that you have nice and fluffy girts every time that you make it.
- You can make a big batch and serve it up for breakfast or even as a side dish.
🧾 Ingredient List
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is an overview of the recipe. The full instructions are below in the recipe card.
Step 1: Add the girts and water to the slow cooker.
Step 2: Allow the girts to soak in the water for two minutes.
Step 3: Use a fine mesh strainer to remove and discard any pieces of the grits that are floating on the top. Soak the girts for 8 hours.
Step 4: Once the grits are soaked cook them on high for 2 and ½ hours. Stir in the cream, butter, and seasonings before serving.
👩🏻🍳Eileen's Tips for Success
- I used a 4-quart slow cooker for this recipe. You can use a six quart, but if you only have an 8-quart then I recommend that you double the recipe.
- For easy clean up you can use a slow cooker liner so that your grits do not stick.
- If you don't have a fine-mesh strainer you can use a spoon to remove the floating grits.
- Make sure that all the grits are covered with water during the soaking process.
- Feel free to adjust the seasonings to your family's tastebuds. Add more or less salt and pepper.
- Garnish with sliced green onions for a pop of color and flavor.
📋 Frequently Asked Questions
If your grits won't soften you will need to cook them a little longer.
Soaking the grits overnight is the secret to making grits in the slow cooker. It helps them end up nice and fluffy every time.
For this recipe, the ratio is two cups of grits to six cups of water.
Do you want to change up this recipe? Here are some ways that you increase the flavor of this dish.
- Cheesy Grits: To make slow cooker cheese grits, once the cooking time has completed stir in one cup of your favorite shredded cheese. We like to use cheddar cheese.
- Spicy Grits: To make spicy slow cooker grits add one teaspoon of chili powder to the recipe.
- Herbed Grits: Add 1 tablespoon of dried herbs such as rosemary, thyme, or oregano for herbed slow cooker grits. Homemade Italian seasoning is another great option for a variety of flavors.
- Bacon Grits: Stir in cooked and crumbled bacon at the end of cooking time for a salty and savory touch to your grits.
❄️ Make ahead, storage, and freezer tips
Storage - Store leftover grits in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.
Freezing - I don't recommend freezing grits as they don't thaw well.
Make Ahead - Grits can be soaked overnight, so it is a great dish to make ahead of time.
Reheating - To reheat cooked grits, place them in a pot on the stovetop and heat over low heat until hot. You may need to add a little extra cream or water if they get too thick.
🥣 Serving Suggestions
When I'm making grits in the slow cooker I love to pair them with a protein-filled dish with this Breakfast Enchilada Casserole.
These Mini Quiches are another great protein to pair with these creamy slow cooker grits! You can't go wrong with this breakfast combo!
🍽 Similar recipes
If you love using your Instant Pot to make your side dishes then you may also want to try this Instant Pot Quinoa recipe.
Are you looking for another simple breakfast recipe? If so I recommend that you give this Instant Pot Oatmeal a try next time.
This Instant Pot Rice is another great side dish that you can make in your pressure cooker.
Check out all our breakfast and brunch recipes here.
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below.
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
Thank you for your continued support. I am forever grateful.
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Slow Cooker Grits Recipe
- In a slow cooker, add the grits and water, stir together. Allow the mixture to stand together for about 2 minutes. This will let the grits settle at the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Use a fine mesh strainer to pick up any excess grits that float to the top of the slow cooker vessel. Discard those excess pieces.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and let the grits sit for 8 hours or up to overnight.
- Once the grits soak, cook on high for 2 to 2½ hours, stirring half way through to break up the grits.
- Right before serving, stir in the cream, butter, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine ingredients.
- Taste and if needed, adjust seasoning.