Apple pie puff pastry twists have a flaky buttery crust filled with tender cooked cinnamon-spiced apples. The pastry is twisted to keep all the deliciousness in the dough so it bursts in your mouth.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- Apple pie puff pastry twists are such a great way to use up apples you have in your home or from fall apple picking.
- A simple recipe with only a handful of ingredients.
- Kids love to help twist the dough with their hands.
- Using store-bought puff pastry makes this recipe so easy.
- These apple puff pastry twists are a great way to start the day as a breakfast pastry or an end-of-the-day treat.
- Puff pastry twists are perfect for school lunch boxes.
- Apple twists are simple with all the flavors of apple pie without all the work.
- Vanilla extract
- Light brown sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Star anise
- Puff pastry
- Heavy cream
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Large mixing bowl
- Spoon for mixing
- Small bowl for milk wash
- Pastry brush
- Large sharp knife or pizza cutter
- Flour for dusting your work surface
This is an overview of the recipe. The full instructions are below in the recipe card.
Step 1: Thaw puff pastry and cut into 16 rectangles.
Step 2: Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
Step 3: In a large mixing bowl, combine the shredded apples, applesauce, vanilla extract, brown sugar, cinnamon, and star anise. Set aside.
Step 4: Lay out a puff pastry rectangle. Spread 1 Tablespoon of apple pie mix.
Step 5: Top with another puff pastry rectangle.
Step 6: Cut into thin strips, around 4 per rectangle.
Step 7: Twist the pastry. Repeat the process with the remaining pastry and filling. Brush the twists with heavy cream.
Step 8: Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown.
Serve on their own or with vanilla icing and whipped cream.
Once cooled, apple pie puff pastry strips can be wrapped and stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Expert Tip: If you don't have a large sharp knife, use a pizza cutter to get nice even lines when cutting the puff pastry.
Frequently Asked Questions
It is recommended to follow the instructions on the back of your puff pastry box.
Puff pastry can be thawed in the refrigerator or on the countertop. It's vital to not let the puff pastry stay on your counter too long as it will be difficult to work with and may not hold its shape when baked.
Using store-bought puff pastry is such a time saver! There are 4 tips to keep in mind when working with puff pastry.
Do not unfold the puff pastry until it's fully thawed to avoid ripping a sheet.
Flour your surface where you will be working to prevent the puff pastry from sticking.
Puff pastry needs to be cooked in a hot oven. Do not overlook preheating the oven to 400° degrees.
Work with puff pastry while thawed but still cold for best results.
This recipe calls for 2 ½ cups of shredded apples. Since apples come in a variety of sizes, you will have to guess how many apples you will need. It's of course, always best to overestimate so you will have enough. One medium apple is about one cup shredded. I would recommend shredding the apples one at a time and measuring as you do, so you do not needlessly shred more apples.
Press gently at the top of the strip with one of your hands or thumb, while the other hand gently twists.
Using an egg wash helps add shine, whereas heavy cream is used as a milk wash which helps with browning.
- Add chopped walnuts or raisins to your apple mixture.
- Use pears in lieu of apples.
- Try our homemade apple pie spice. It's easy to make and can be used for so many apple recipes.
Drizzle with vanilla icing for a holiday-worthy look on your buffet or holiday table.
A scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream always goes well with apple pie puff pastry twists.
Dip them into a caramel dip for apple pie perfection.
Apple Taquitos is a rolled tortilla in cinnamon and an apple filling.
Another winner is our Crustless Apple Casserole recipe which is easy to make for a tasty dessert.
Apple Cherry Fritters are going to delight your tastebuds. Enjoy!
For a little chocolate deliciousness, try our Gooey Chocolate Apple Cake. Yum.
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below.
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
Thank you for your continued support. I am forever grateful.
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Apple Pie Puff Pastry Twist
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Thaw puff pastry and cut into 16 rectangles. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the shredded apples, applesauce, vanilla extract, brown sugar, cinnamon, and star anise. Set aside.
- Lay out a puff pastry rectangle. Spread 1 Tablespoon of apple pie mix and top with another puff pastry rectangle. Cut into thin strips, around 4 per rectangle, and twist.
- Repeat the process with the remaining pastry and filling. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Brush the twists with heavy cream.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve on their own or with vanilla ice icing and whipped cream.