Halloween is fast approaching and what better way to celebrate than these festive and Easy Halloween Cupcakes. They are made with box chocolate cake mix and the most adorable chocolate covered Oreo toppings. Want a spookier cupcake? You will love my Ghoulishly delicious Severed Finger Cupcakes. They look super creepy and tasty devilishly delicious. A bootiful way to celebrate All Hallows Day.
Easy Halloween Cupcakes
I love baking from scratch, like my tasty Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Maple Frosting, delish. Then there are times when I want to focus more on the decorating as with these festive Halloween cupcakes. Use a boxed cake mix to make your cupcakes. Then focus on your decorations to make the most festive sweet treats for your family and friends.
- Box of cake mix: I use chocolate but any of your favorites can work. Having a party, use 2 or 3 different types for variety.
- Ingredients on the box to make your cupcakes.
- Halloween Oreos: If using regular Oreos, you'll need to color the frosting orange.
- Milk Chocolate Melting Wafers: variations can be white or purple melting wafers.
- Halloween Sprinkles: use your favorite festive designs.
Tips and FAQs
- `If you prefer, from scratch cupcakes can be used.
- We are using a box cake mix, chocolate flavor but any flavor will work. Also, feel free to make from scratch cupcakes.
- Be sure to let your cupcakes cool completely before decorating.
Cupcake Decorating Tips
- Have your decorating sprinkles and chocolates ready before beginning to decorate.
- As we said above, Halloween Oreos are used and their insides are orange which makes the icing.
- Regular Oreos can be used. You will just color them with orange food coloring.
- For best results use a piping bag with a star tip.
- No piping bags, use a plastic storage bag and cut a piece off of a bottom corner of the bag. The frosting will not have fluting but will coat your cupcake.
The cupcakes can be made 2 days ahead. Store in a sealed plastic storage container. Once cupcakes are decorated, they can be kept up to 1-2 days. Again, keep in a covered container.
Having a Halloween party, you will want to enjoy these fang-tastic treats too:
- Witches Brew, A fantastic cocktail for the over 21 participants.
- Mummy Taco Bread, wrap yourself up and enjoy this crowd-pleaser.
- These Peanut Butter Spider Cookies are adorable for another treat.
- Another fun and easy idea are these Googly Eye Pretzel Kisses.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Shop this Recipe:
- cupcake muffins: Every kitchen needs a muffin/cupcake pan.
- mixing bowls: A great set of bowls with lids.
Don’t forget to shop at the Everyday Eileen store on Amazon!
When you make this recipe, take a pic and tag me on Instagram @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below.
Keep up to date with recipes and posts by following me on:
Love this recipe, it would be awesome if you give it a 5-star rating and share comments below.
Spooktacular Halloween Cupcakes
- 1 box box chocolate cake mix, 15.5 ounce box Note 1
Oreo Cookie Decorating
Make the cupcakes
- Prepare the cupcakes according to the instructions given on the box.
- Check for doneness. ( Insert a toothpick into the center of a cupcake, it should come out clean.)If they are not done, check again every three minutes until they are done.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
Prepping the Oreo Cookies
- While the cupcakes are baking, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Carefully remove the orange cream from 16 Halloween Oreos. Set aside the orange cream.
- Carefully separate the Oreos, remove the orange cream from 16 Halloween Oreos. Be sure the side that has no Oreo creme. Set aside the orange cream.
- Using a heat safe bowl, melt the chocolate wafers until smooth.
- Dip half of each cookie into the chocolate.
- Place onto the cookie sheet and sprinkle some halloween sprinkles.
- Let the sprinkles set. Keep to the side until ready to top the cupcakes.
Orange Halloween cupcakes
- Using a standing mixer combine the butter, powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream, vanilla, orange Oreo creme and mix on medium speed until combined and smooth.
How to decorate Halloween Cupcakes
- Scoop 1 cup of orange frosting into the piping bag and set aside
- Using the orange frosting, scoop a small amount into the ice cream scooper and place onto the top of the cupcake and spread slightly into a thick disk.
- Pour the Halloween sprinkles into a deep bowl. Dip the top of the cupcake frosting into the sprinkles.
- Then, use the prepared piping bag with frosting and tip to pipe the frosting into the center of the semi-frosted cupcake.
- Carefully place the decorated Oreo onto the side of the frosting.
- Sprinkle some more halloween sprinkles on top.