Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore is a favorite weeknight meal for me. Ready in 30 minutes, delicious, and can be a low-carb meal or add carbs if you are in that mode!
The beauty of this Chicken Cacciatore is that the prep time is speedy and in just a matter of minutes you have a delicious meal! Stop wasting money and calories on fast food and make your own delicious meals like this Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore!
This is one recipe from the family archives. My Mom made a similar recipe when I was a child. To be honest, I didn’t appreciate it as much as I do now. Not sure why I was not completely attracted to this dish! I know, I treat food as a relationship. I haven’t sought therapy yet. The family thinks I am nuts!
Chicken Cacciatore, always a family favorite!
I love my food! My doctors are always poking and prodding at me. I say let me cook because it helps me relax! This Chicken Cacciatore reminds me of being a young girl in the kitchen with my Mom and she was making this for us with a big bowl of pasta!
Now my Mom rarely used a pressure cooker. They were not in the same safety zone as of today’s kitchen tools and Instant Pots! My Grandma did and let me tell you, it did not always go well!
I wish she could see today’s Instant Pots and Pressure Cookers, they have come a long way with safety and ease of use!
I am taking my families delicious Chicken Cacciatore Recipe and making it in the Instant POT!
Super easy, super delicious, super quick!
This will become a weeknight rescue meal for you! Cooking for 1, 2, 3, 4, or like me 6+? This is an “I’m in a bind and I need real food, real fast recipe!”
There are a lot of ingredients in this cacciatore. However, it is really an easy dish that once you have cut your veggies and seasoned your meat, the vessel does the work and you can enjoy a glass of wine.
Chicken Cacciatore FAQs:
What are the origins of Chicken Cacciatore?
Chicken Cacciatore has Italian roots! Cacciatore means “hunter style”, which includes poultry, onions, tomatoes, vinegar or wine, and herbs.
Can you freeze Chicken Cacciatore?
Yes, make a double batch and freeze chicken to eat another day. I use freezer bags to store my chicken. This is a great meal to add to your make-ahead meal plans.
Is Chicken Cacciatore a recipe to make ahead and reheat?
Feel free to make the recipe early. Reheat in the oven at 325 for 15 minutes. Make Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore and store the insert with the cooked chicken in the fridge.
What sides can be served with Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore?
- mashed cauliflower low-carb, gluten-free
- spaghetti squash – low-carb, gluten-free
- riced cauliflower – low-carb, gluten-free
- zoodles- low carb, gluten-free, use a combo of green and yellow zucchini for nice color contrast.
- pasta: my favorite with chicken cacciatore would be pappardelle pasta.
Is Chicken Cacciatore keto, gluten-free, or Whole30?
Chicken Cacciatore is a whole food recipe. It is keto. To keep the meal keto, serve with one of my low-carb sides. Chicken Cacciatore is a gluten-free recipe. Serve with a gluten-free side. If you want a Whole30 compliant recipe, leave out the wine.
Can this Chicken Recipe be made stovetop?
Absolutely. If you do not have an Instant Pot or want to make it in a saute pan, the instructions for stovetop are included in the recipe.
What are the best cuts of poultry a good chicken cacciatore recipe?
I use bone-in chicken breasts and drumsticks. I remove the skin because that reduces fat. If you prefer, leave on the skin on the chicken. You can use boneless breasts or thighs as well.
Can any other vegetables be included in making Chicken Cacciatore?
Absolutely, Feel free to add your favorite veggies. Add carrots, celery, zucchini, and cauliflower to this recipe. Also, any color pepper can be used in the sauce.
Tips for prepping and cooking Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore?
- Cut your veggies before beginning to cook so everything is ready to add to the pot.
- Don’t forget to season and brown the chicken. This adds flavor to the chicken and sauce.
- Use pieces of chicken that are approximately the same size so they cook evenly.
- Your chicken pieces should be at 165 degrees when cooked through.
- When adding the balsamic vinegar and wine to the pot, use a wooden spoon to brush up any brown bits. This adds flavor but also prevents the “burning” message on the Instant Pot.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more!) We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com
I also have a store where I am always updating great finds for not just cooking, I hope you check it out here, Everyday Eileen I will continue to update it regularly! Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Thank you so very much for being apart of Everyday Eileen!
[dropshadowbox align=”none” effect=”lifted-both” width=”auto” height=”” background_color=”#51a9dc” border_width=”1″ border_color=”#208176″ ]
Shop the Recipe:
6-Quart Instant Pot: The instant pot has been a gamechanger for me. When I have no time, I still can have a great meal in 30 minutes. Quicker than delivery service.
Cooking Utensils: These are great utensils for the Instant Pot and any other cooking utensils.[/dropshadowbox]
How To Make Chicken Cacciatore( Instant Pot):
- Set Pot to saute, spray with non-stick spray. Add chicken to brown, remove and set aside.
- Saute onions and mushrooms about 3-4 minutes. Stir in garlic.
- Stir in red peppers and mushrooms. Saute for about 2-3minutes to soften veggies.
- * Add the wine and vinegar to the Instant Pot. Use a wooden spoon to get up any brown bits off the bottom of the insert. Simmer for 5 minutes to reduce liquids.
- Stir in the chicken stock, diced tomatoes, without juice, tomato paste, basil, oregano, parsley, and black pepper, 2-3 minutes. Then add back in chicken and olives.
- Cover the Instant pot with the Lid. Set to high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Natural release for 5 minutes. Turn the valve to open to release the remaining steam.
- In step 3, reducing the liquids allows the flavors to blend into the chicken pieces for flavor.
Some other meals you may enjoy:
- Low-Carb Chicken Piccata: one of my most popular recipes made with almond flour!
- Instant Pot Pork Ragu: A hearty red sauce made with pork over pappardelle noodles.
- Chicken Mole: A recipe with some spice that is perfect over Spanish rice, riced cauliflower or roasted spaghetti squash.
- One Pot Herb and Garlic Chicken Pasta: A delicious one-pot chicken and pasta meal!
- One Pot Chicken Chicken and Vegetable Pasta: A one-pot pasta meal that is full of flavor and veggies for everyone to love.
We love seeing and sharing your creations.
When you make this or any of my recipes, I love seeing them.
Tag me on Instagram with @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen.
I love any comments or questions, please leave below!
I HOPE YOU CONTINUE CONNECTING WITH ME
Stay up to date on all recipes! Follow me on:
Love this Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore Recipe, I would very much appreciate it if you give it a 5-star rating and share any comments or questions below!
Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore
Seasoning for Chicken
- 4 pieces bone-in chicken breasts or drumsticks, skin removed about 6 ounces each see note 1
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled, diced
- 1 large red pepper, seeded and sliced thin
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced thin
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 cup white wine I use a Pinot Grigio
- 1/2 cup fat-free chicken stock
- 14 1/2 ounce can of diced tomatoes fire roasted tomatoes is preferred
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Parmesan Cheese, garnish optional
- fresh basil or parsley for garnish optional
Season the Chicken Pieces
- Combine the garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and salt. Season the chicken with the seasoning. Set Aside.
- Set the Instant Pot to Saute, add the olive oil. Add in the chicken pieces to brown all sides, about 6 minutes. Once the chicken is brown, remove and set aside.
- If needed, add another tablespoon of olive oil. Add in the onions, saute for a minute. Stir in the red pepper and mushrooms. Saute about another 2 minutes to soften the veggies. Add in the garlic.
- Add in the balsamic vinegar and white wine. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up any brown drippings in the bottom of the Instant Pot. (This brings flavor but also helps prevent the burn code on the Instant Pot). Combine in the chicken stock, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, Kalamata olives, bay leaf, Italian Seasoning, and dried parsley. Stir ingredients. Add back in the chicken pieces.
- Press Cancel on the Instant Pot. Place lid on Instant Pot, lock and turn the steam valve to close. Select pressure cooking, High, 10 minutes. Once the timer goes off, let it natural release for about 5 minutes. Then quick release valve. Consult manufacturers instructions if needed for operating your Instant Pot. Discard bay leaf.
- Serve the Chicken Cacciatore with your favorite sides. Low-carb choices spaghetti squash, zoodles, mashed cauliflower. Other choices are mashed potatoes or your favorite pasta. Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese and fresh basil or parsley for garnish.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation. Actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and portion sizes.