You will love using the Instant Pot to make these Hot Cocoa Bombs. We use chocolate candy melts the chocolate doesn’t need to temper. So these are so easy to prepare. If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you will still be able to make these fun chocolate treats by using a microwave or double boiler.
Hot Cocoa Bombs
I think everyone knows about these super fun hot chocolate bombs that are the big craze. My girls and my niece just love them. We started experimenting and you will love how easy these are to prepare at home. You will also save so much money by making your own. Plus, there are endless possibilities with creativity.
Red Candy Melts make these festive for Valentines Day or Christmas. You can use any color candy melt too. White candy melts are neutral and you can decorate the bombs with your favorite sprinkles for any Holiday. Of course, the classic chocolate can be used any time.
- This easy method works with candy melts and chocolate chips. I don’t recommend this method for bars of chocolate as they need to be tempered.
- We recommend using a bit of non-stick baking spray on the molds before adding the chocolate. This will prevent sticking and less chance of the bombs cracking.
- Place some of the chocolate in the mold and use a pastry brush to ensure the mold gets completely coated.
- You can use homemade cocoa powder mix or a pre-made mix for these hot
Step by Step Instructions
1. Turn the Instant Pot to sauté mode. Place water inside Instant Pot. Place a glass bowl that will fit in your Instant Pot as it will act as a double boiler.
2. Add in your candy melts to the bowl. Stir and let them melt.
3. Spray the inside of your silicone molds with non-stick spray. Add chocolate to your molds making sure that chocolate is completely coating the mold on the inside. Place in the freezer for about five minutes.
5. Add more of your melted chocolate on top of the marshmallows to close the mold. Return to the freezer for about 5 to 10 minutes.
6. Remove the cocoa bombs from the molds.
7. With a spoon, drizzle your remaining chocolate over the bombs. Immediately add your sprinkles.
8. Put a bomb in a mug. Pour hot milk over it to melt the chocolate.
- Vary the candy melts to whatever color/flavor you enjoy.
- The sprinkles can also vary.
- Add chopped candies such a peppermint and spearmint into the bomb.
- Chocolate chips can be used in lieu of candy melts.
Keep your hot cocoa bombs in the fridge in a covered container until ready to use. They can be stored for at least a month however. I’m sure they won’t last that long.
Some other sweet treats you may enjoy are Instant Pot Hot Chocolate, this is a mix of white and milk chocolate, so darn good. Homemade Almond Roca is delicious and would be a wonderful treat along with hot cocoa. Rocky Road Candy is another decadently wonderful fudge that is always a hit.
When you make this recipe, take a pic and tag me on Instagram @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen
Keep up to date with recipes and posts by following me on:
Instant Pot Hot Cocoa Bombs
- 24 ounce bag, red candy melts Note 1
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 7 Tablespoons hot cocoa powder
- sprinkles optional
- non-stick baking spray
- Press the sauté mode on the Instant Pot. Place one and a half cups of water inside your Instant Pot. Place a glass bowl that will fit in your instant pot as it will act as a double boiler.
- Add the candy melts to the bowl. Continue to stir until the chocolate has completely melted.
- Lightly spray the inside of the silicone molds. Add melted chocolate to your molds making sure that chocolate is completely covering the mold on the inside. Place in the freezer for about five minutes. Note 2
- Remove your molds from the freezer. The chocolate will be solid. Add ½ Tablespoon of cocoa powder and about 4 marshmallows per mold.
- Add more of your melted chocolate on top of the marshmallows to close the mold and lock the cocoa and marshmallows from coming out. Return to the freezer for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Gently remove your cocoa bombs by pushing on the silicone side of the mold until the bomb pops out. I place a towel on the counter to protect the bombs so they do not break.
- With a spoon, drizzle the remaining chocolate over the bombs. Immediately add your sprinkles before the chocolate hardens.
- Place one or two bombs in your favorite mug. Pour hot milk over them to melt the chocolate releasing the hot cocoa and marshmallows.
- Stir with a spoon and enjoy.