This Instant Pot Stuffed Peppers recipe, need a quick and easy recipe for a great weeknight dinner? Go no further, this is a great weeknight meal that can be on the table in 25 minutes.
The peppers are stuffed with a tasty blend of turkey and rice. They are topped with mozzarella cheese which melts into the mixture for a meal that will please the whole family.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- A quick and easy dinner. Prepare ahead of time and cook when ready later in the day.
- An easy instant pot dinner ready in less than 30 minutes.
- The stuffed peppers freeze very well. Make a double batch and freeze a few to use later.
- A great way to use leftover rice repurposed in a delicious meal.
- Bell peppers, choose your favorites or a combination of yellow peppers, orange, and, or green.
- Yellow onion adds flavor to the stuffing.
- Ground turkey, or substitute ground chicken or beef.
- Cooked white rice, use your favorite such as white, brown, or basmati rice.
- Kosher salt adds another level of flavor.
- Black pepper always adds flavor.
- Fresh garlic gives a nice mellow flavor to the stuffing.
- Italian breadcrumbs is a binder.
- Diced tomatoes gives a level of texture.
- Water adds the additional liquid needed for the pressure cooker.
- Mozzarella cheese balances out all the flavors and adds a creamy texture.
- Italian seasoning, garnish
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is an overview of the recipe. The full instructions are below in the recipe card.
Step 1: Cut the tops of your bell peppers. Remove the membranes as well as the seeds.
Step 2: In a large mixing bowl add onion, ground turkey, cooked rice, salt and pepper, garlic, breadcrumbs, and Half of the can of tomatoes (drained - save the tomato liquid and the remaining can of tomatoes).
Step 3: Mix to combine the ingredients.
Step 4: Add water and the remaining diced tomatoes, including the liquid, into your inner pot of the instant pot. Place the trivet inside. Place the bell peppers on top of the trivet.
Step 5: Lock the lid in place and ensure the valve is closed. Set to high pressure for eight minutes. Do a natural release for 10 minutes, followed by a quick pressure release. (manual release)
Step 6: Place the shredded mozzarella cheese on top of each pepper. Put the lid back on for another minute or two to allow the cheese to melt.
Step 7: Remove the bell peppers with tongs as they will be hot.
Make-Ahead: The peppers can be prepped and stuffed the night before you wish to make them.
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator in a covered airtight container for up to 3 days.
Freeze stuffed peppers for up to 3 months. I find it best to cook them but leave off the cheese topping.
Wrap each cooked pepper in plastic wrap. Then, place it in a freezer-safe bag or container. As always, my preference is to use a food saver to wrap the peppers to prevent freezer burn.
Once ready to cook, remove the stuffed peppers from the freezer, let them defrost overnight in the refrigerator. Rewarm in a baking dish, in the oven at a temperature of 350°F until warmed through, about 10 minutes. Then, add the mozzarella cheese topping and return to the oven until the cheese has melted.
Expert Tip: For even cooking, be sure to choose peppers around the same size.
- Be sure to season the the inside of the peppers with salt and pepper before stuffing them. This adds flavor to the pepper itself.
- Use. peppers approxiamatly the same size for even cooking.
Frequently Asked Questions
It is not necessary to precook the pepper before stuffing when they are cooked in the Instant Pot.
I precook my rice before adding to this recipe which prevents excess water. Using raw rice needs more liquid and can cause an excess of water.
Yes, this is a favorite recipe because it's so easy to put together. Whicher ground meat you choose, it should be raw when combining with the other ingredients.
I prefer using red or yellow bell peppers as they are a bit sweeter than green peppers. However, it is a personal choice and all three will work wonderfully for this recipe.
- Ground beef or chicken can replace turkey.
- Feel free to try brown rice instead of white rice.
- Try other grains such as quinoa, farro, or barley. Be sure they are all cooked before adding.
- For a Mexican twist, add taco seasoning and black beans into the meat mixture.
- For a vegetarian version, either leave out the meat completely and add in veggie meatless crumbs or more veggies such as spinach.
- Change the cheese and use cheddar, Colby jack cheese, or another favorite cheese.
While these stuffed peppers are pretty much a meal, if you feel like adding in a side dish, try any of these:
Arugula Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette, it's quick, easy, and a nice light salad.
Roasted Broccoli with Garlic would be delicious as a side to the peppers recipe. They are light and have a nice crunch.
This green bean recipe is one of my most popular dishes and would be a great side dish.
Roasted Zucchini Slices would be a perfect accompaniment to this dinner.
Italian Sausage and Peppers, another quick and easy dinner.
Sheet Pan Chicken Sausage and Spaghetti Squash, another one-pan wonder that is always a hit.
Another recipe that uses red bell peppers and sneaks in a good portion of veggies is our One Skillet Chicken Sausage and Veggies.
The form you have selected does not exist.
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below.
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
Thank you for the continued support. I am forever grateful.
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need. Don't forget that you can click on "add to collection" to save it to your own, private recipe box!
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Instant Pot Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 4 medium fresh bell peppers use any variety of bell pepper, red yellow, or green
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- ½ pound ground turkey ground beef or chicken can be used
- 2 cups cooked white rice, packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasonings, divided
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 Tablespoons plain bread crumbs or Gluten-free bread crumbs Panko breadcrumbs can be used
- 14 ounce can, diced tomatoes with juices, divided Note 1
- ½ cup water
- 1 ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Cut the tops of your bell peppers. Remove the membranes as well as the seeds.
- In a large mixing bowl add onion, ground turkey, cooked rice, salt and pepper, garlic, breadcrumbs, and Half of the can of tomatoes (drained - save the tomato liquid and the remaining can of tomatoes).
- Mix to combine the ingredients.
- Add water and the remaining diced tomatoes, including the liquid, into your inner pot of the instant pot. Place the trivet inside. Place the bell peppers on top of the trivet.
- Lock the lid in place and ensure the valve is closed. Set to high pressure for eight minutes. Do a natural release for 10 minutes, followed by a quick pressure release. (manual release)
- Place the shredded mozzarella cheese on top of each pepper. Put the lid back on for another minute or two to allow the cheese to melt.
- Remove the bell peppers with tongs as they will be hot.