Hot Toddy Recipe, this is the best feel better remedy you’ll ever need to help get over that feeling of the beginning of an achy cold or sore throat. The perfect blend of fresh lemon, spices, and good old-fashioned whiskey. Feeling good and want something with a little libation to take the edge off and relax on a cool night.
This warm drink with sweet honey is going to bring you some serious comfort! This aromatic warm cocktail is ready in no time and the perfect quick fix for much-needed comfort.
Tis the Season for cold symptoms with aches, and pains! That means it’s Hot Toddy season!
The regulars here know my Mom, the originator of The Best Bloody Mary, has been making Hot Toddies even longer than Bloody Marys! My friends, this is one epic, feel better drink with a kick from whiskey!
These are my Mom’s cure-all for the common cold or for a great evening dring to warm you up.
Hot Toddy Recipe
The hubs took me on a much-needed getaway for a few days in Montauk, NY.
The hotel is gorgeous and right on the ocean! We enjoyed hot toddies with the best hot whiskey with fresh lemon slices while we sat by the firepit. Very expensive drinks, but what can you do when you are traveling and in need of pure comfort!
I have to share my family’s recipe with you because it’s so darn good and after seeing the price of them in Montauk, well, please make your own at home.
You will save a lot of money and with just a few ingredients and enjoy them whenever you want one.
Hot Toddy Ingredients:
- Whiskey or Irish Whiskey are my top choices – adds a zip to the body to warm you up.
- honey, if vegan – use pure maple syrup – gives a sweetness and soothes the throat.
- lemon juice – adds Vitamin C which is a great addition to the drink.
- lemon wedges – more Vitamin C
- ground cloves – a warm spice that enhances the toddy.
- cinnamon sticks – gives a nice spice to warm flavors.
- fresh ginger slices, if unavailable, use ground ginger – ginger is great for the body.
Where did the Hot Toddy recipe originate?
The word Toddy dates back to British ruled India in the 1600s, which meant beverage made from fermented palm sap. That evolved into a beverage made with liquor, spices, sugar and hot water in the late 1700s. The rest is history and the hot toddy is a winner.
What type of Whiskey is best to use to make a great Hot Toddy?
Jameson Irish Whiskey, Makers Mark Whiskey, Canadian Club Rye, and Tullamore Dew Whiskey all make great toddies.
Can other alcohol besides whiskey be used to make this drink?
Absolutely, feel free to change-up your preference in alcohol such as scotch, brandy, light rum, dark rum, bourbon, even vodka will work nicely.
Does a Hot Toddy really cure a cough or cold?
Does Chicken Soup cure a cold? Can a great cup of tea make your day better? Maybe not, but they sure can help make you feel a bit better. So why not give it a go and see why my Mom is always right! This toddy is my go-to adult to feel better liquid refreshment.
According to Medical News Today, people find having a hot toddy can give a little relief to their symptoms. That said, always check with your doctor when you are on any prescription medication and for making any homemade elixirs.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Shop this Recipe:
Clear Glass Coffee Mugs: I love these mugs! They hold the heat and a nice large mug.
100% Pure Unfiltered Honey: This is my go-to honey.
I also have a store where I am always updating great finds for not just cooking, I hope you check it out here, Everyday Eileen I will continue to update it regularly!
Some other favorites warm libations you should try are Nicole’s Wine Apple Cider Cocktail, so delicious and warms the soul. You will also love Mely’s Mulled Wine Recipe, a keeper of a recipe and perfect for parties.
How to Make a Great Hot Toddy:
- Fill a tea kettle with water. Bring water to a boil.
- Pour whiskey, lemon juice, and honey into a mug.
- Top with hot water.
- Add a lemon slice, fresh ginger, cloves, and cinnamon stick.
- Serve and enjoy.
Give us a like on FACEBOOK
For great recipes and tips, follow along on Pinterest.
Thank you for always sharing my passion and love for food and family!
Love the recipe? Giving it a 5-star rating and any comments are super helpful for me and I appreciate it very much.
Hot Toddy Recipe
- 8 ounces water
- 1 ounce whiskey Note 1
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey or pure maple syrup Note 2
- 1 slice fresh ginger Note 3
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves Note 4
- 1 cinnamon stick Note 5
- 1 slice of lemon optional garnish
- In a tea kettle or saucepan, over medium-high heat, add water. and bring water to a boil.
- Bring water to a boil. Then remove from heat.
- Add to a large mug, the whiskey, lemon juice, and honey or pure maple syrup.
- Pour hot water into the mug.
- Add in fresh ginger and cloves, cinnamon stick, and a slice of lemon. Serve and enjoy.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation. Actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and portion sizes.