This is sure to be the best Hot Toddy Recipe with whiskey you'll ever try! It's a great classic cocktail for a cold winter night.
A feel better remedy to help get over that feeling of an achy cold or sore throat.
The perfect blend of fresh lemon, spices, and good old-fashioned whiskey. Feeling good and want something with a little libation to take the edge off and relax on a cool night.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- This hot whiskey drink with sweet honey is going to bring you some serious comfort! This aromatic warm cocktail is ready in no time and is the perfect quick fix for much-needed comfort.
- Tis the Season for cold symptoms with aches, and pains. That means it's Hot Toddy season and this is a cure-all.
- It's so easy to learn how to make a hot toddy at home, any time.
- Whiskey or Irish Whiskey are my top choices, it adds a zip to the body to warm you up.
- honey: gives a sweetness and soothes the throat.
- lemon juice - adds Vitamin C which is a great addition to the drink.
- lemon wedges - more Vitamin C
- ground cloves - a warm spice that enhances the toddy.
- cinnamon stick - gives a nice spice to warm flavors.
- fresh ginger slices, if unavailable, use ground ginger - ginger is great for the body.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Clear Glass Coffee Mugs: I love these mugs! They hold the heat and a nice large mug.
- 100% Pure Unfiltered Honey: This is my go-to honey.
This is an overview of the recipe. The full instructions are below in the recipe card.
Step 1: In a teapot or medium size saucepan, add water, and bring to a boil.
Step 2: Pour whiskey, fresh lemon juice, and honey into a mug.
Step 3: Top with hot water.
Step 4: Add a slice of lemon, fresh ginger, cloves, and cinnamon stick.
Step 5: Serve and enjoy.
Best to drink your toddy while it's hot. I've never had leftovers.
However, if you make a big batch, keep it in the refrigerator in a covered airtight container for up to 5 days.
Reheat on the stovetop or microwave.
Expert Tip: Be sure to heat your water up to just about boiling so the sweetener will dissolve in the liquid.
Frequently Asked Questions
The word Toddy dates back to the British rule of India in the 1600s, which means a beverage made from fermented palm sap.
The term Toddy evolved into a beverage made with liquor, spices, sugar, and hot water in the late 1700s. The rest is history and the hot toddy is a winner.
Does Chicken Soup cure a cold? Can a great cup of tea make your day better? Maybe not, but they sure can help make you feel a bit better. So why not give it a go and see why my Mom is always right! This toddy is my go-to adult to feel better liquid refreshment.
Jameson Irish Whiskey
Canadian Club Rye
Tullamore Dew Whiskey all make great toddy drinks.
According to Medical News Today, people find having a hot toddy can give a little relief to their symptoms. That said, always check with your doctor when you are on any prescription medication and for making any homemade elixirs.
- I love an extra shot of lemon and ginger which I add to the saucepan when the water is boiling.
- For another change, try orange slices, or apple slices in this warm cocktail.
- Add some black tea for your cocktail for an extra boost of flavor.
- Looking to cozy up with a nightcap on a cold evening but don't have whiskey, here are some suggestions to substitute:
- Light Rum
- Dark Rum
For the sweetener feel free to try ½ teaspoon of any of these:
- white sugar
- pure maple syrup
- Low-carb sweeteners such as Stevia or monk fruit
The regulars here know my Mom, the originator of The Best Bloody Mary, has been making Hot Toddies even longer than Bloody Marys! My friends, this is one epic elixir with a kick from the whiskey.
Another favorite is our Boozy Whiskey Cherries made with Fireball! Wow, they are delish.
Apple Pie Vodka is another treat you will enjoy.
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below.
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
Thank you for your continued support. I am forever grateful.
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Hot Toddy Recipe
- In a tea kettle or saucepan, over medium-high heat, add water. and bring water to a boil.
- Bring water to a boil. Then remove the pan from the heat.
- Pour the hot water into a large mug. Add the whiskey, lemon juice, honey, ginger, cloves, cinnamon stick, and lemon wedge. Give the mixture a good stir.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation. Actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and portion sizes.