These Baked Key Lime Donuts are an easy and delicious way to enjoy a classic summer dessert! This homemade donut recipe is made with simple ingredients, and baked in the oven for a light and fluffy finish. The result is a sweetly tart donut that pairs perfectly with a cup of coffee or tea.
Looking for specifics on the recipe? Use the table of contents to click on sections of the recipe.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- These Baked Key Lime Donuts are the perfect way to start off your day, or even as an afternoon snack.
- They are bursting with a tangy citrus flavor that will remind you of summer days at the beach.
- You only need simple ingredients, so you don't have to worry about making a trip to a specialty store.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- all-purpose flour
- granulated white sugar
- baking powder
- whole milk
- large egg
- fresh lime zest
- canola oil
- non-stick baking spray
- confectioners sugar
- fresh lime juice
- fresh lime zest
- graham crackers
- Donut Molds
- Cooling rack
- Mixing bowls
- Baking dish - optional
This is an overview of the recipe. The full instructions are below in the recipe card.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and then set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the wet ingredients
- Gradually stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the donut pan and bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, before removing the donuts from the pan and cooling them on a wire rack.
To make the glaze
- Combine the glaze ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- Dip the tops of the each donut in the glaze and allow the excess to drip back into the mixing bowl.
- Place the donut on the wire cooling rack and sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs while the glaze is still wet.
💭 Eileen's Tips for Success
- Be careful to not overmix the batter for these key lime pie donuts. Once you add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients stir until just combined.
- I find that it's easier when glazing homemade baked donuts, if you put a sheet pan underneath the wire baking rack so that it catches the drips.
- You can tell the donuts are completely done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- You can also use a piping bag on the bottom of the donut to stuff them full of cream cheese frosting if you want to add more flavor to the center.
📋 Frequently Asked Questions
Baked donuts may have a slightly different texture than fried, but they still taste great.
The best way to store homemade baked donuts is in an airtight container, preferably at room temperature.
They are typically deep fried but you will love these baked donuts.
Do you want to change up this homemade donut recipe? Here are some ways that you increase the flavor of this dish.
- If you want to add a little more lime flavor, you can mix some grated lime zest into your graham crackers for a burst of lime in the crumble.
- Instead of glazing just the top of the donut, you can glaze the entire thing by using a fork to dip it entirely into the glaze.
- If you are not a fan of glaze you can leave it off altogether.
⭐ Make ahead, storage, and freezer tips
Storage - Store baked key lime donuts in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Make sure to keep them away from heat sources so that the glaze doesn't melt.
Freezing - You can also freeze these donuts in a freezer-safe bag or container for up to three months. Thaw at room temperature overnight.
Make Ahead - These donuts are best served fresh, however, you can make them 12-24 hours in advance.
🥗 Serving Suggestions
Enjoy a caramel macchiato with these baked donuts.
Hot apple cider made in the slow cooker is a great accompaniment to these key lime donuts.
If you are over 21, try our Caramel Apple Cider Vodka Slush Cocktail with these tasty key lime donuts.
These key lime donuts are delicious all on their own but they also pair so well with an Irish Coffee.
Enjoy a fruit side dish you may also this Summer Berry Fruit Salad recipe.
🍽 Similar recipes
These Churro Bites are bite sized treats that you can surprise the kids with as an after school snack or for an after dinner dessert.
These Air Fryer Bagels are one of my favorite ways to make baked goods at home for breakfast.
Enjoy some more of our baked desserts below.
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below.
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
FACEBOOK INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, TWITTER
Thank you for your continued support. I am forever grateful.
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Key Lime Donut Recipe
- As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 Tablespoons whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime zest
- 3 Tablespoons canola oil
- non-stick baking spray
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime zest
- graham crackers, crushed topping for the donuts
How to make the donuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F/177°C. Spray the donut pan with nonstick baking spray. Set aside.
- To mix dry ingredients, in medium sized mixing bowl,whisk together flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a bowl. Set aside.
- For the wet ingredients, in a large mixing bowl, whisk to combine milk, egg, lime zest, and canola oil.
- Gradually whisk the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until the batter is smooth.
- Fill the donut wells with the donut batter. Bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes. The donuts will be golden brown and a toothpick or cake tester can be stuck into the dough and it should come out clean when donuts are full cooked.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Take the donuts out of the pan and place on a wire rack until completely cool.
To make the glaze
- For easy clean-up, place a baking sheet beneath the wire cooling rack so excess glaze drips onto the baking sheet.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, lime juice, and zest until blended.
- Dip cooled donuts in glaze and allow excess glaze to drop back into the mixing bowl.
- Place the dipped donut back to the wire cooling rack and sprinkle with graham cracker crumble.
- Allow the donuts to dry completely before serving, about 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
Leave a Reply