This Instant Pot Yogurt recipe is a great way to make delicious, creamy yogurt at home. With just a few simple ingredients, a pressure cooker, and a little bit of time you will have a delicious yogurt to enjoy with your family in no time at all.
Looking for specifics on the recipe? Use the table of contents to click on sections of the recipe.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- Instant Pot Yogurt is made with store-bought Greek yogurt as a starter for this recipe. So, you don't have to worry about costly ingredients.
- Our Instant Pot Yogurt is healthier than commercial yogurts and you control the ingredients.
- The instant pot does most of the work, so you don't have to worry about a difficult process.
- This Instant Pot Yogurt Recipe tastes so much better than the yogurt you buy at the grocery store.
🧾 Ingredient List
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- whole milk
- plain Greek yogurt
- pure vanilla extract
This is an overview of the recipe. The full instructions are below in the recipe card.
Step 1: Add the milk to the Instant Pot. Press the yogurt button twice for the display to show the word “boil”. Use the lid for the Instant Pot to cover and close. It will take about 30 minutes. Check your milk to make sure that it has reached a temperature of 180°. If it has not reached 180°, press cancel on your instant pot, and turn it on sauté mode until it reaches that temperature.
Once you have reached the temperature, remove your inner pot from the ice bath. Remove any skin that might have started forming on the top
In a small bowl, add your vanilla, 2 tablespoons of yogurt, and a little bit of the milk from your pot. Mixed together until you have a thin consistency.
Once you have reached the temperature, remove your inner pot from the ice bath. Remove any skin that might have started forming on the top.
Step 6: Place the inner pot back into the Instant Pot. Close the lid and close the sealing valve. Press “yogurt” on the Instant Pot and set it for 8 hours.
Once the time has been completed, turn off the Instant Pot, and transfer the inner lid to the refrigerator for at least four hours or overnight. The yogurt will thicken.
Step 7: Top with granola, fruit, and honey when serving.
👩🏻🍳 Eileen's Tips for Success
- It's helpful if you use an instant read thermometer or candy thermometer to make this yogurt.
- Don't skip the ice bath this is important to cool down the temperature of the yogurt to an optimal temperature for the yogurt culture to be active.
- I like to use Fairife Milk or another ultra-filtered milk. I've found it gives the best results for the yogurt mixture.
- You are starting with cold milk for this recipe. So, make sure that you check the temperature and your milk reaches 180 degrees. This will allow the good bacteria to grow in your homemade greek yogurt.
📋 Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Making yogurt in the Instant Pot is definitely worth it. It's quick and easy and you can make delicious yogurt with minimal effort.
No, you don't have to use whole milk, you can also use skim milk or almond milk too. Keep in mind that fat content will change the texture and thickness of your yogurt, so I recommend using whole milk for best results.
One gallon of milk will make about 2 quarts of fresh yogurt.
Do you want to change up this recipe? Here are some ways that you increase the flavor of this dish.
- If you want plain yogurt leave out the vanilla extract.
- There are so many different things that you can take this yogurt with. Fresh fruit, honey, pure maple syrup, and so many other options.
- Once this homemade instant pot yogurt is cooled, feel free to add in some strawberry jam to make a creamy strawberry yogurt.
❄️ Make ahead, storage, and freezer tips
Store the pressure cooker yogurt in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week. I like to store them in small jars so that we have a great grab-and-go breakfast for busy school mornings.
🥣 Serving Suggestions
This Healthy Pumpkin Granola tastes amazing when it's sprinkled on top of this homemade vanilla yogurt.
I also think it's a good idea to serve thick Greek yogurt like this with additional protein. These Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs are one of my go-to protein recipes for a busy morning.
This Cherry Coconut Granola is another fruit-flavored topping that works so well on top of this Instant Pot Greek yogurt.
Having a brunch? Serve our light and fluffy Copycat Eggo Waffles to go along with this tasty homemade yogurt.
🍽 Similar recipes
Making your own Acai Bowls is another great to enjoy a healthy meal or snack with your family. Plus, they taste amazing!
If you love making breakfast staples at home, then you may also enjoy making these Air Fryer Bagels. They are surprisingly easy to make.
Do you love using the Instant Pot to make delicious breakfast recipes? If so, next time try this Instant Pot Oatmeal. It's the best way to start off your day!
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below.
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
Thank you for your continued support. I am forever grateful.
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Instant Pot Yogurt Recipe
- ½ gallon whole milk
- 2 Tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons pure vanilla extract optional, note 1
- Add the milk to the Instant Pot. Press the yogurt button twice for the display to show the word “boil”. Use the lid for the Instant Pot to cover and close. It will take about 30 minutes.Check your milk to make sure that it has reached a temperature of 180°. If it has not reached 180°, press cancel on your instant pot, and turn it on sauté mode until it reaches that temperature.
- Remove the inner pot from the Instant Pot to cool to 105°. I placed my inner pot in the sink with water and ice which sped up the process very fast. (You can allow it just to drop in temperature by sitting on the counter, or water in the sink without ice.)
- Once you have reached the temperature, remove your inner pot from the ice bath. Remove any skin that might have started forming on the top
- In a small bowl, add your vanilla, 2 tablespoons of yogurt, and a little bit of the milk from your pot. Mixed together until you have a thin consistency.
- Once completely mixed together add back to the pot. Mix well.
- Place the inner pot back into the Instant Pot. Close the lid and close the sealing valve.Press “yogurt” on the Instant Pot and set it for 8 hours.
- Once the time has been completed, turn off your Instant Pot, and transfer the inner lid to the refrigerator for at least four hours or overnight.
- Top with fresh fruit, frozen fruit, granola, and honey. Ready to serve.