Enjoy a juicy Copycat Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwich at home any time with tasty recipe. A delicious sandwich that is made with fresh ingredients that will blow away any drive thru version. Placing the chicken breasts in a pickle brine adds flavor and ensures tender poultry. We make this in the air fryer but I include a baked chicken sandwich as well.
Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwich
For a long time, we didn’t have a Chick-fil-A near us. I now, a tragedy. I am not a super fan of fast food but this particular chain, I love! Their chicken sandwich is one I can’t pass up. So not having a location close to home and I refer homemade food, the quest began to make my own sammie.
I succeeded! After a bunch of recipe testing, this finally received the thumbs up from my family. We have added this into our weekly menu rotation and enjoy them often.
Using the air fryer is also a great way of cooking the chicken without frying. We found that raising the temperature of the air fryer halfway through cooking gives a nice crispy exterior to the chicken. Before I had an air fryer we baked the chicken breasts, which is also delish. However, we do love the crispy exterior the air fryer gives to the poultry.
While the chicken is marinating in the pickle juice, get the egg wash done. Keep it in the fridge until ready to use. Then mix your dry ingredients so you’ll be ready to cook after the 30 minute brine is complete. I don’t vary from these ingredients because they are just perfect together.
Why this recipe works
The sandwich tastes better than the fast food restaurant. Plus, it is very cost effective to make your own sandwiches for your family. My favorite though is being able to make these yummy copycat Chick-fil-A sandwich whenever we have a hankering for it.
Step by Step Instructions
Photos always help to understand the cooking progress. The instructions here are an overview. The full printable recipe is below in the recipe card section.
- Place the chicken breasts in a large plastic storage bag. Pound the chicken till they are about ½ inch thick. Then cut each breast in half so you have 4 pieces. The chicken will go back in the storage back along with the pickle juice to brine for 30 minutes.
- Prep your egg wash. Also add the seasoning to your flour.
- Coat the chicken in the egg wash and then into the seasoned flour. Place the chicken into the air fryer. Cook 6 minutes at 340°F
- Flip the poultry, raise the temperature to 400°F and cook another 6 minutes. The breasts are cooked through when the internal temperature reaches 165°F
Place 2 pieces of chicken on each bun and top with 3 pickles and the bun. Serve with waffle fries to keep the theme going, enjoy.
Once the chicken breasts have been cooked, leftovers can be stored in a covered container in the fridge for about 2 days.
French fries are a great side. Another great side is oven roasted potatoes, they are delicious and easy to prepare. Looking to up your veggies, my family loves these roasted green beans, another very easy dish that is very kid friendly too. Another green veggie favorite is this easy broccoli recipe. Macaroni Salad, is a personal favorite because can make this the evening before and leftovers are delish.
Some other sandwich or burger recipes you should try, Chicken Parm Burger, oh it is a good one. Greek Chicken Gyros, also quick and so darn delish! Juicy Lucy’s, I just love these cheesy burgers. Let’s not forget Taco Burgers. this is my son’s favorite burger.
When you make this recipe, take a pic and tag me on Instagram @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen
Keep up to date with recipes and posts by following me on:
Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwich (Air Fryer or Baked)
- 2 boneless chicken breasts about 8 ounces each
- ¼ cup pickle juice
- ¼ cup water
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk, whole or 2%
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoon confectioners sugar Note 1
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- oil in spray bottle or cooking spray Note 2
- 2 hamburger buns
- 6 pickles
- Chik-fil-A sauce optional
Air Fryer Chik-fil-A Chicken Sandwich
- Place the chicken in a gallon size ziplock bags. Pound them until they are ½ inch thick.
- Cut the breast into 4 pieces.
- Place the chicken back in the bag. Add in your pickle juice and water. Allow them to marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Whisk the egg and milk together.
- In a separate bowl, mix together your dry ingredients: flour, confectioners sugar, cornstarch, paprika, salt, black pepper, garlic powder.
- Coat the chicken in the egg mixture, then the flour mixture.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking oil.
- Place coated chicken in the air fryer basket. Spray the chicken with cooking spray.
- Cook for 6 minutes at 340 degrees. Flip, and cook for another 6 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Place the chicken on the hamburger bun with three slices of dill pickles. Enjoy
Baked Chik-fil-A Chicken Sandwich
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet. Spray with oil or non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Follow Steps 1-6
- Spray the coated chicken with the oil or non-stick spray and place on the wired wrack.
- Bake in the oven about 12 minutes, flip the chicken and bake another 12-15 minutes. Internal temperature of the chicken is 165°F when cooked through.
- Serve with pickles on hamburger buns.