Enjoy a homemade baked or air fryer version of a Chick Fil A Chicken Sandwich. Don't forget to make Copycat Chik-fil-A Sauce to slather on the hamburger buns.
We make this in the air fryer but I include a baked chicken sandwich as well.
❤️ Why you’ll love this recipe
- Enjoy a juicy Copycat Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwich at home using your oven or air fryer.
- A delicious sandwich that is made with fresh ingredients that will blow away any drive thru version.
- Placing the chicken breasts in a pickle brine adds flavor and ensures tender poultry.
Photos always help to understand the cooking progress. The instructions here are an overview. The full printable recipe is below in the recipe card section.
- Place the chicken breasts in a large plastic storage bag. Use a meat mallet to pound the chicken till they are about ½ inch thick. Then cut each breast in half so you have 4 pieces. The chicken will go back in the storage back along with the pickle juice to brine for 30 minutes.
- Prep your egg wash. Also add confectioners sugar, cornstarch, paprika, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder to your flour.
- Coat the chicken in the egg wash and then into the seasoned flour. Place the chicken into the air fryer. Cook 6 minutes at 340°F
- Flip the poultry, raise the temperature to 400°F and cook another 6 minutes. The breasts are cooked through when the internal temperature reaches 165°F
Place 2 pieces of chicken on each bun and top with 3 pickles and the bun. Don't forget to top the chicken off with Chik-Fil-A Sauce. Serve with waffle fries to keep the theme going, enjoy.
Once the chicken breasts have been cooked, leftovers can be stored in an air tight covered container in the refrigerator for about 2 days.
Expert Tip: While the chicken marinates, make the egg wash and keep in the fridge until ready. Then, prep the dry ingredients to stay organized.
Waffle fries or tater tots are a great side dish
Another great side is oven roasted potatoes, they are delicious and easy to prepare.
Looking to up your veggies, my family loves these roasted green beans, another very easy dish that is very kid friendly too.
Some other sandwich or burger recipes you should try, Chicken Parm Burger, oh it is a good one. Greek Chicken Gyros, also quick and so darn delish! Juicy Lucy's, I just love these cheesy burgers. Let's not forget Taco Burgers. this is my son's favorite burger.
Another great recipe is our Air Fryer Turkey Burgers, juicy and so easy to prepare.
For a long time, we didn't have a Chick-fil-A near us. I now, a tragedy. I am not a super fan of fast food but this particular chain, I love! Their chicken sandwich is one I can't pass up. So not having a location close to home and I refer homemade food, the quest began to make my own sammie.
I succeeded! After a bunch of recipe testing, this finally received the thumbs up from my family. We have added this into our weekly menu rotation and enjoy them often.
Using the air fryer is also a great way of cooking the chicken without frying. We found that raising the temperature of the air fryer halfway through cooking gives a nice crispy exterior to the chicken. Before I had an air fryer we baked the chicken breasts, which is also delish. However, we do love the crispy exterior the air fryer gives to the poultry.
When you make this recipe, take a pic and tag me on Instagram @everyday_eileen or #everydayeileen
Keep up to date with recipes and posts by following me on:
Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwich (Air Fryer or Baked)
- 2 boneless chicken breasts about 8 ounces each
- ¼ cup pickle juice
- ¼ cup water
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk, whole or 2%
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoon confectioners sugar Note 1
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- oil in spray bottle or cooking spray Note 2
- 2 hamburger buns
- 6 pickles
- Chik-fil-A sauce optional
Air Fryer Chik-fil-A Chicken Sandwich
- Place the chicken in a gallon size ziplock bags. Pound them until they are ½ inch thick.
- Cut the breast into 4 pieces.
- Place the chicken back in the bag. Add in your pickle juice and water. Allow them to marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Whisk the egg and milk together.
- In a separate bowl, mix together your dry ingredients: flour, confectioners sugar, cornstarch, paprika, salt, black pepper, garlic powder.
- Coat the chicken in the egg mixture, then the flour mixture.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking oil.
- Place coated chicken in the air fryer basket. Spray the chicken with cooking spray.
- Cook for 6 minutes at 340 degrees. Flip, and cook for another 6 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Place the chicken on the hamburger bun with three slices of dill pickles. Enjoy
Baked Chik-fil-A Chicken Sandwich
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet. Spray with oil or non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Follow Steps 1-6
- Spray the coated chicken with the oil or non-stick spray and place on the wired wrack.
- Bake in the oven about 12 minutes, flip the chicken and bake another 12-15 minutes. Internal temperature of the chicken is 165°F when cooked through.
- Serve with pickles on hamburger buns.