This Green Bean Chicken Casserole is a comforting casserole that's perfect for busy weeknights. If you are looking for a simple all-in-one meal then this is the recipe for you.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- The chicken and green beans are cooked in a deliciously creamy sauce, which pleases even the pickiest of eaters.
- Chicken Green Bean chicken casserole can be made in under an hour, which makes it ideal for busy weeknights.
- The best part about this recipe is that it can easily be tailored to your liking. If you want a little more excitement.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- unsalted butter
- mushrooms, sliced thin
- large yellow onion, peeled and diced
- garlic, peeled and minced
- all-purpose flour
- black pepper
- chicken broth
- half and half
- Smoked Gouda, shredded
- cooked chicken, cubed
- frozen green beans, thawed
- fried onions, divided
- non-stick cooking spray
- casserole dish
- medium skillet
- measuring cup and spoon
- large bowl
This is an overview of the recipe. The full instructions are below in the recipe card.
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350°F/177°C. Prepare a 9" x 13" casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Step 2: In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter. To the butter add the mushrooms and onion. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until the vegetables are softened.
Step 3: Add the garlic and stir for another 30 seconds to blend the flavors. Add the flour, salt, and pepper to the skillet and stir to coat the onions and mushrooms.
Step 4: Once the flour is completely incorporated, stir in the chicken stock. Continue stirring until the mixture begins to thicken. Then, add half and half. Reduce the heat and stir as needed until the sauce has thickened slightly, then add in the cheese. Continue to stir and let the sauce thicken enough to coat the back of a spoon.
Step 5: In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, green beans, and 1 cup of fried onions.
Step 6: Add the sauce and stir until everything is evenly coated.
Step 7: Transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish and spread evenly.
Step 8: Bake for 30 minutes, uncovered.
Step 9: Carefully top the casserole with the remaining fried onions and bake for 5 minutes more. Remove from the oven. Rest for 5 minutes and serve.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Reheat individual servings of Green Bean Casserole with Chicken in the microwave on 50% power for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through. You may also reheat this dish in a 350°F/177°C oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
Expert Tip: To make ahead, prepare the casserole through step 6. Cover tightly and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. When you're ready to bake, remove the casserole dish from the refrigerator and let it sit on the counter while the oven preheats. Bake as directed.
Frequently Asked Questions
This dish is delicious and can be served on its own, but you can also serve it with rolls or a bread side, and a fresh salad.
To avoid a runny green bean casserole, make sure that your sauce is thickened before adding it to the rest of the ingredients. You can thicken it by cooking it longer on the stove, or by adding a cornstarch slurry.
Yes, you can use water. But, your sauce will be less creamy and thinner. I recommend using half and half or at least milk.
- Use a cup of homemade condensed chicken soup in the sauce.
- For a vegetarian version, substitute the chicken with 2 (15-ounce) cans of drained and rinsed white beans.
- If you want to make this dish without fried onions, you can top it with crushed Ritz crackers or even cornflakes.
- This is a great way to use up leftover rotisserie chicken if you have some on hand. But, you can use neutral-flavored chicken.
- Stretch this casserole a little further by adding your favorite vegetables. Diced bell peppers, broccoli, or even zucchini would work well in this recipe.
- Roasted broccoli with garlic, a quick easy side dish with simple ingredients that's ready in less than twenty minutes. This delicious side dish is perfect to serve with this chicken green bean casserole.
- This Wedge Salad Recipe is a crazy easy recipe with simple and classic ingredients and is a delicious and crunchy side dish to serve with this comforting casserole.
- These Apple Cherry Fritters are a fun and easy dessert that can be made in under thirty minutes. They are perfect to serve with this green bean casserole for a complete meal.
- If you love chicken and vegetable casseroles like this one, then you will want to give this Chicken and Rice Casserole a try next time.
- This Frito Pie Casserole is a Tex-Mex casserole that's a surefire hit with everyone who tries it. It's loaded down with all your favorite Mexican flavors.
- This Instant Pot Tuna Casserole is a modern twist on this comfort food classic recipe. Your whole family will love this hearty casserole recipe.
I love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below.
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
Thank you for your continued support. I am forever grateful.
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Chicken Green Bean Casserole
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 ½ cup half and half
- 1 cup Smoked Gouda, shredded
- 4 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 (10) ounce bag, frozen green beans, thawed
- 2 cups fried onions, divided
- non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/176.66°C. Prepare a 9" x 13" casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter. To the butter add the mushrooms and onion. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the garlic and stir another 30 seconds to blend flavors.
- Add the flour, salt, and pepper to the skillet and stir to coat the onions and mushrooms.
- Once the flour is completely incorporated, stir in the chicken stock. Continue stirring until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Then, add half and half. Reduce the heat and stir as needed until the sauce begins to thicken and then add the Gouda cheese to the mixture.
- Continue to stir the sauce and let it continue to thicken enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, green beans, and 1 cup of fried onions.
- Add the sauce and stir until everything is evenly coated.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish and spread evenly. Bake for 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Carefully top the casserole with the remaining fried onions and bake for 5 minutes more.
- Remove from the oven. Rest for 5 minutes and serve.