Enjoy the easiest Instant Pot Beer Braised Short Ribs! I am celebrating #NationalBeerDay today and what better way than some amazing braised short ribs cooked in beer, specifically Guinness beer, of course! The short ribs are fall off the bone, finger licking good delicious! Use your Instant Pot to make this short ribs recipe and in less than an hour, you will have an amazing meal for your family and friends!
Instant Pot Beer Braised Short Ribs are one of my family favorite meals! To celebrate National Beer Day, what better way than to bring you a tender short rib recipe braised in Guinness beer. Feel free to use any darker ale to create this braised short rib recipe.
I add carrots and onions to the instant pot which layers more flavors to the broth. These delicious beer-braised short ribs are awesome over mashed potatoes. To keep this a low-carb meal, make buttermilk mashed cauliflower to pair with these ribs! Oh my, so good!
I was late to the Instant Pot parade and got mine just a few months ago and I have not stopped using it! I have made a spot on my kitchen counter because it is so useful. Even my kids are using the Instant Pot because it is such a game changer for easy meals!
I love braised beef and poultry, especially during the fall and winter months, major comfort food for my family. I absolutely love using the Instant Pot to make this braised short rib recipe because its easy, quick, and delicious! The beef is so tender and my family requests it often! Also, the big one, easy clean-up!
How long does it take to make Instant Pot Braised Beef Short Ribs?
The ribs and veggies are sauteed, which takes about 10 minutes. The beef will braise in the instant pot in about 35 minutes on “stew”. Approximately 45 minutes to a delish meal!
What should you look for when choosing beef ribs to make braised beef short ribs?
Short ribs cut on one bone about 1/2 to 1 pound per cut is best. I tend to use an English cut which gives a good amount of beef to be braised.
Can Boneless Beef Ribs Beef used to make Beer Braised Short Ribs?
I have not used boneless ribs to make this particular recipe. If I were to use boneless, I would shorten the cook time to about 25 minutes, depending on the size of the beef. Keep in mind, the bones do add amazing flavor to the broth.
How can I avoid mistakes while making any Instant Pot braised short rib recipes?
- After browning the ribs and adding liquid, be sure to scrape up the brown pieces that may have stuck to the bottom of the instant pot. This can cause the “burn” message if brown bits are left in the bottom of the pot.
- when transferring from sauteing to stew or any other mode, always press off and then chose the next setting. This also prevents burn from happening.
- The size of the beef ribs can affect the time. My ribs were about 3-4 inches long. If you use longer ribs, add about 5 minutes.
What goes well with Beer Braised Beef Short Ribs?
- Classic Mashed Potatoes
- Sauteed Mushrooms
- Roasted Spaghetti Squash
- String Beans
- Egg Noodles
- Mashed Cauliflower
You may also enjoy these tasty meals:
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more!) Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Thank you so very much for being apart of Everyday Eileen!
Tools you may find helpful to make Beer Braised Beef Short Ribs:
- 8 quart Instant Pot, I use this pot! It works for my family size so well!
- My favorite bowls to enjoy this braised beef and many others. The bowls are wide and pretty.
- Wooden Spoons the best array of wooden spoons for the kitchen. No scratching and super affordable
- 2 cup fat separator, comes in a variety of sizes. This is a favorite to remove fat, which means extra calories from gravies and sauces.
Don’t have an Instant Pot, please buy one! How to make beer-braised beef short ribs in the oven?
- Preheat to 300 degrees. Season flour with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. dredge the beef ribs in the seasoned flour.
- In a large dutch oven, over medium heat, add olive oil. Sear short ribs. Remove from heat. Add the onions, carrots, and garlic, saute for about 5 minutes. Add the Guinness, beef stock, Worcheshire sauce, and tomato paste.
- Scrape up the brown goodness at the bottom of the dutch oven. Add back in the short ribs.
- Place lid on the pot and place in the center of the oven for about 3 hours. I always try and separate any fat and serve as above.
How to make Instant Pot Beer Braised Beef Short Ribs:
- Liberally Season short ribs with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder.
- Set Instant Pot to Saute, 15 minutes. Sear the short ribs and set aside.
- Add in the carrots, onions, and garlic. Saute for 2 minutes.
- To the Instant Pot, add Guinness, beef stock, tomato paste, Worcheshire sauce, black pepper.
- Stir to bring up and brown spots stuck to the bottom of the pot. (very important: this prevents BURN message)
- Turn the Instant Pot off.
- Add back in the short ribs, fresh thyme leaves, rosemary, and parsley.
- Place lid on Instant Pot. Make sure vent is closed.
- Press Stew and set Instant Pot to 35 minutes.
- Once complete, auto release, ( check manufacturers instructions). Turn Instant Pot off.
- Remove the short ribs and veggies to a platter. Cover with foil.
- Make a slurry with cornstarch and some broth, add into Instant Pot.
- Turn Instant Pot on to Saute, 5 minutes to thicken the gravy.
- Serve over buttermilk mashed cauliflower, mashed potatoes, egg noodles, zoodles, or roasted spaghetti squash.
As we celebrate #NationalBeerDay, I have to thank Camilla, who runs Culinary Adventures with Camilla. for hosting this wonderful day of recipes relating to Beer!
Check out the amazing recipes from some of my favorites below:
- Beer Battered Onion Rings with Spicy Dipping Sauce by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Mexican Beer Chili by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Beer Braised Beef Short Ribs by Everyday Eileen
- Hatch Pepper Beer Chili by Palatable Pastime
- Beer Brats with Caramelized Onions by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Stoverij + Our Favorite Belgian Beer by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
LOVE SEEING AND SHARING YOUR CREATIONS! WHEN YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, I’D LOVE TO SEE IT.
TAG @EVERYDAY_EILEEN OR #EVERYDAY_EILEEN
Easy Beer Braised Beef Short Ribs
Make tasty Beer Braised Beef short ribs in the Instant Pot! Have an amazingly flavorful meal in 45 minutes! The most tender beef short ribs filled with flavor from Guinness Beer! This will be a family favorite. Oven braised recipe included.
- 4 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Beer Braising Liquid
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 3 large carrots, peeled, sliced 1 inch thick
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
- 1 cup Guinness Beer
- 14.5 ounce can fat-free beef broth
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt, to taste Note 1
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
In a small bowl, combine garlic powder, onion powder, Kosher salt, and ground black pepper. Rub the short ribs with the garlic powder mixture.
Set the Instant Pot to saute on High. Add the olive oil, when it reads hot, add the seasoned short ribs to brown. (see note 2) Once browned, remove ribs from the Instant Pot, set aside.
Keep the Instant Pot on Saute, add the onions, carrots, and garlic to the pot. Let saute about 5 minutes. Add in the Guinness Beer( see note 3). Use a wooden to release the brown bits that have stuck to the bottom of the pot. Hit "Cancel" on the Instant Pot (Note 4)
Add in the beef broth and tomato paste. Stir to blend the tomato paste into the liquid. Add the seared short rib back into the pot. Also add in the thyme, parsley, and rosemary. (Note 5)
Place the lid on the Instant Pot and Seal it. Turn the Vent Knob to closed. Press "Stew" and set for 35 minutes, on high.
Once the timer goes off, let it do a natural release for about 10 minutes. Then open the valve to release the remaining pressure in the pot. Hit "Cancel". Remove cover, remove the ribs and carrots to a large bowl and cover with foil.
Make a slurry with the cornstarch and some of the liquid and mix well, until smooth. Pour into the Instant Pot and press "Saute" adjust heat to medium heat. Let it cook for about 10 minutes to thicken the sauce.
Serve the short ribs over mashed cauliflower, mashed potatoes, or egg noodles and enjoy!
Note 1: I limit my sodium, I find this has enough salt without any extra. Taste the sauce before adding salt.
Note 2: Let the short ribs sear about 5 minutes. Don't move them around. It is best to let them sear by leaving them alone to brown. Then flip to brown the other side.
Note 3: When adding the Guinness into the Instant Pot, it is important to use a spoon to scrape all the brown bits off the bottom of the pot. ** If you do not remove all the brown bits you may get a burn notice on the Instant Pot** Plus those brown bits are added flavor to the gravy.
Note 4: It is important to shut the Instant Pot off after the "Saute" of the beef and veggies are done and the Guinness is added "Saute". This prevents the "Burn" message. Don't switch from the saute to stew button.
Note 5: If you do not have fresh herbs, they really add amazing flavor, add dried herbs about 1 teaspoon each.
- Any nutritional data I provide is an approximation and actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and portion sizes.
Pin Beer Braised Short Ribs to make any time: